Eating before early morning runs (Read 1177 times)

Wow, I'm surprised to hear so many "running on empty" folks. I could not survive more than 4 or 5 miles without my requisite Clif Bar about an hour before running. I admit on shorter runs, I feel "lighter" on empty but I hit a wall pretty quickly. Weight probably has a lot to do with this - at 190 lbs. my 250 calorie Clif Bar is a lot less to deal with than those of you that weigh less. Not to get too personal - but any 190 lbs plus runners go "on empty"?
    I do all the time. I went 6.5 miles this morning as a matter of fact with nothing but a large glass of water. I went slow (10:20 pace) and had no problems at all. My weight is roughly 215 pounds. Oatmeal actually tastes very good after the run! Smile

Wobblebottom

I have just started running in the mornings this past two months. I have always run on empty, purely a time issue. I looked at it like swimming, in that you shouldn't exercise for an hour after eating, even something light. When I ran my first half marathon we stayed bed and breakfast, well I like value for money and ate a full English! Blush My running friend was horrified, but I went on the fact that it was 8.00am and we wouldn't be running until about 10.30am. I was fine, and not starving hungry when we finished! In the evenings when I run with my friend, I have eaten, and I have to say that (perhaps I shouldn't share, but I am going to Blush) it does repeat a little! Guess I am a run on empty girl unless there is a two hour space inbetween eating and running.

A Saucy Wench

I run on empty except for long runs...and I have to admit 75% of why I have a little food (kashi bar ) before a long run is to help encourage my "morning constitutional". Well coffee helps. But most days I am simply not up early enough. Before races I leave myself a big window and eat a big breakfast.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

monikam

For easy runs 1 hour or less I don't need to eat before... For any runs lasting over an hour or high intensity runs I always eat something 1 hour before..
          Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon - Sep 28