Strained lower abs from too much LSD? (Read 293 times)

L Train

I always thought that was in the terms of agreement.

Well for you it's just the exposing yourself part.

It appears that doing core work is not for our abs, but for pelvic stability. The exercises are really easy. Yes, I tried them. Perhaps I'm not as core challenged as I thought.

True. Your core includes the ab muscles (though not the six pack, as bhearn pointed out) but also all the muscles around your lower back, pelvis and hips. A well coordinated core stabilizes the spine and pelvis and creates the critical stable base for running--and pretty much all activity. It's also important to note that a lot of "core" work is focused on mobility (range of motion), balance and coordination as much as it is strength.

Good posture--a straight back, pelvis in neutral, and full hip extension--is critical to good running form. You might say it's actually the definition of good running form. Unfortunately, most of us do not get the full range of motion and varying activity in our daily lives to maintain all of these things. We sit in chairs too much, we drive cars, we crouch in front of computers, we get fat, etc. This causes us to have weak hips and glutes, and loss of hip extension that results in us arching our backs when we become fatigued, over striding, and a bunch of other bad things.

Thus 82% of us runners get injured.

But it turns out that getting injured isn't the only result of a weak core and bad form--you also can't get as much out of your training, or reach your potential. That's because stability and alignment are critical to efficiency, minimizing fatigue, and ensuring you can continue to deliver high levels of force in the late stages of long runs or races. That's why pretty much every elite runner and coach puts a pretty high emphasis on core.

Runners run

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I would venture to guess that shipo has a decent amount of core strength based on what he said about mucking out stalls and whatnot.  Shovelling shit is a pretty darn good workout, I have been there and done that every year when I spread manure on my garden.

That being said, I still work to strengthen my core.  I am not designed in the ideal way, bio mechanically speaking.  Thanks, Mom and Dad.  So to compensate for my faults, I work on the muscles that are weak (hips, glutes, ankles, back, abs - which remain weak no matter how many miles I run).  But some people are blessed with good bone alignment, strong tendons, and a naturally good running form.  Those people probably don't need to worry so much about their core strength, although I bet if you talk to elite runners, they spend some time in the gym too.

Even if you don't run, having a strong core will be to your benefit.  Think about having better balance as you age, and how important that can be in preventing falls.  I have an aging aunt who does zero exercise aside from walking to her mailbox every day.  She falls constantly.  She's not clumsy (well, maybe a little) but she is so weak that if she stumbles, she cannot catch herself in time and she winds up on the ground.

Leah, mother of dogs

xhristopher

Do you remember much from your trip? If so, perhaps you might be able to figure out what you were doing to cause the ab strain. Was anyone else around? They may be able to help you remember what you did on your trip.

Was it good quality LSD or junk? Do you do LSD much? With friends or on your own? If when you trip you don't have friends around to make sure you stay safe you should find someone you trust to keep an eye on you. If you tend to go trippin' with friends you should consider what you are doing with them when you are high.

If none of that helps why not switch to weed? It may already be legal where you live. The manfromnantucket here on this forum can hook you up. Just be sure he doesn't try to hook up with you first.

L Train

thank Phelps you are around here, x.  

I would venture to guess that shipo has a decent amount of core strength based on what he said about mucking out stalls and whatnot.  Shoveling shit is a pretty darn good workout, I have been there and done that every year when I spread manure on my garden.

I concur, it's unlikely that anyone who regularly mucks stalls for that many animals could have a weak core. I'm also a gardener and shoveling truckloads of manure brings new meaning to intensive labor.

That being said, I still work to strengthen my core.  I am not designed in the ideal way, bio mechanically speaking.  Thanks, Mom and Dad.  So to compensate for my faults, I work on the muscles that are weak (hips, glutes, ankles, back, abs - which remain weak no matter how many miles I run).  But some people are blessed with good bone alignment, strong tendons, and a naturally good running form.  Those people probably don't need to worry so much about their core strength, although I bet if you talk to elite runners, they spend some time in the gym too.

Even if you don't run, having a strong core will be to your benefit.  Think about having better balance as you age, and how important that can be in preventing falls.  I have an aging aunt who does zero exercise aside from walking to her mailbox every day.  She falls constantly.  She's not clumsy (well, maybe a little) but she is so weak that if she stumbles, she cannot catch herself in time and she winds up on the ground.

I mistakenly equated core work with sit ups & crunches. I lift free-weights, do squats, lunges, hip bridges & thrusts among other things. The hours I spend on the road distracted me from my former love of yoga. In light of the numerous studies as to the importance of cross-training for runners I shall have to resume my practice.

xhristopher

I concur, it's unlikely that anyone who regularly mucks stalls for that many animals could have a weak core. I'm also a gardener and shoveling truckloads of manure brings new meaning to intensive labor. 

So you are saying dealing out a bunch of horse shit takes extra effort? I always thought people who went around unloading horse shit were full of shit.

This makes me wonder ... Is there a substantive difference between horse shit and bull shit?

This makes me wonder ... Is there a substantive difference between horse shit and bull shit?

Strictly from an organic gardening point of view, yes there is a difference.

NPK content does vary between horse & cow manure as well as between beef cattle or dairy cows & between forage or grain fed horses. Whichever you choose the nutrients are higher in fresh manure, but composted manure is less likely to add weed seeds & bacteria to your garden soil.

Though now we have wandered quite far from the original discussion of strained lower abs from too much LSD.

Strictly from an organic gardening point of view, yes there is a difference.

they smell different too. To bring this back on topic, ccw manure strains my abs more than horse manure.

Feeling the growl again

The variety coming from the rear end of a bull is typically a lot messier to deal with than from a horse.  Mmmm, cowpies!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

The variety coming from the rear end of a bull is typically a lot messier to deal with than from a horse.  Mmmm, cowpies!

Which is easier to throw?

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

The variety coming from the rear end of a bull is typically a lot messier to deal with than from a horse. 

And a lot stinkier.

steph  

Prince of Fatness

No experience using cow or horse crap.  I have used chicken crap on my garden.  You need to be careful with that as it can actually burn your plants.  From what I understand chickens pee and poo from the same pie hole so this is a whole different variety.  And it is very difficult to throw,

Not at it at all. 

Hello Hoosiers! I was an Indiana girl myself back in the 90's.

You boys should know all about cow patties, let 'em crust over before ya scoop 'em up.

Now what do you know about corn, race cars & basketball?

Also, FWIW the odor dissipates as it dries.

I clean out a cat box twice a day!!!!