Nutrition guidance in the lead up to marathon day (Read 109 times)

andyashton

I'm running my first full (NYC, 11/2) and I'm feeling a bit confused by all of the advice out there about nutrition during and toward the end of marathon training.  If you read popular magazines like RW, they're always posting articles about all the light meals you should be eating (although sometimes they're specifically targeted at running for weight loss vs. race training).  I could stand to lose another 5-10 lbs, but at this point I'm mostly interested in fueling properly and making my training as effective as possible.

Can anyone recommend any good guides/resources that can help plan my diet for the next month or two?  And specifically, any advice about diet during tapering?  I'd like to do whatever possible to avoid getting a virus as I typically do during the fall months.

Thanks

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Liz

pace sera, sera

andyashton

You lost me at plants Smile

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da help!

Liz

pace sera, sera

I loosely followed this diet plan for my first marathon last year and it was quite successful.

http://www.runningplanet.com/marathon-nutrition.html

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)