Foot Pain (Read 696 times)

jgcamp

I am new at running and I now have a weird foot pain. It is on my right foot on the outside between my heal and the bone the runs on the side of the foot. I have not rolled my foot or sprained my ankle. I just woke up with this pain. Any ideas?
      I had this when I got my new shoes and broke them in a little. Might be too much arch support? BTW... I think you're hot. Evil grin
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I get something like this towards the ends of my longer runs. In my case I think it's just my body saying "time to go home...please, can we go home?!" As my runs get longer, it is delayed, so for me it seems to be my feet adapting to increasingly longer distances. So I wonder if your feet are simply adapting to running in general. Is the pain more of a dull ache, like the muscle pain you might have after doing any new physical activity? I would say if it's not too bothersome to try stretching well and running on it and seeing if as you warm up if it gets better. A lot of nagging little pains work themselves out once I get moving, I have found. Those that don't are the ones I pay close attention to. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I had this pain after overdoing it in my first 5K. After a several trips to the orthopaedist and a few scans later, all they could tell me was that I "overworked the ligaments." The immediate concern was that I had a hair-line fracture in on the bones on that side of the foot. Nothing. I iced that area every night and was able to run again in about two weeks. The pain only came when I walked a certain way or tried to stand on my toes... Weird huh?
          jgcamp

You are so right!!! I ran 3 miles tonight and it stopped hurting after about a mile but started to hurt again when I would walk. (That kept me running)!!! The trainer that is helping us thinks that it is a ligament that I have strained. He told me to rest tomorrow and ice it tonight. Hopefully it will go away.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's good news! It definitely sounds similar to what I have experienced! I thought maybe it was shoes, at one time, but I have had 3 different models with differing levels of stability and I find it to happen with all 3, but only late in my longest run each week. By then lots of things all over my bod are starting to get pretty sore. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

We need a resident podiatrist on this board.
                nemo1

This sounds a lot like what I was just diagnosed with. We have bad feet in our family and while I knew that I overpronated, I was wearing the correct shoes so I didn't think there would be a problem. But, I got a pain that sounds similar to yours except it hurts really bad on a 12 mile run that I only finished half, even though I've run 10 miles without a problem. The doctor said it was plantar fasciitis, which I thought was weird because with that the pain is normally closer to your heal, and mine is in the soft squishy part of the outside of my left foot. In my case it was caused by the high arches, an achille's heal that needs to be stretch more, and overpronation that happens in my family. So, I got a cortizone shot, was told to run lightly for a few weeks, and I have to go back sometime in the next week or so and get fitted for custom orthodics. So, my advice would be to make sure to ice after your runs, definitely stretch, and if it gets worse see your podiatrist.
                  jgcamp

Thanks! I was trying to stay away from Doctors because I was worried that they would tell me to stop running and I am really starting to enjoy it! The pain does go away after running a few minutes and I ice it right after my run. So it is getting better.
                      Thanks! I was trying to stay away from Doctors because I was worried that they would tell me to stop running and I am really starting to enjoy it!
                      If you can, find a doctor is a runner, understands runners, and works with runners. S/he will help you find a way to run without a pain and not simpley say: don't run. Oh, and welcome to running! Big grin
                      2009: BQ?
                        If you can, find a doctor is a runner, understands runners, and works with runners. S/he will help you find a way to run without a pain and not simpley say: don't run. Oh, and welcome to running! Big grin
                        Agree - find a doctor who's a runner - mine understands the psyche and will work with you and lay out options 'e.g. you can run the 15K on Sunday and take April off or you can run the 5K, ice regularly and then slowly build back up'... I just found out that in addition to overpronating, I have one leg shorter than another which I've been compensating for by landing on the outside of my foot (all you people who ran behind me why didn't you tell me? Shocked) and hopefully orthotics will help. As someone who's gone from 20 miles per week to zero, all I say is 'listen to your body'.... Good luck and glad you're here! lisak
                        Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
                        nemo1

yeah, I would definitely say find a doctor who runs. Even with my foot pain (it also gets better with running, but hurts a lot just walking), he didn't tell me not to run. He just said to back off it for a couple of weeks while it heals and then I should be fine. He understands the whole not running thing sucks.