Question about base miles (Read 1164 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Currently doing a marathon training program and building back to 100k weeks, without need for an off day.
    Aren't off days pretty important?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Aren't off days pretty important?
      If you need them definitely, if you don't they are just lost opportunities to train. I don't find an easy 5k too taxing at all.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Sorry about the partial hijack here, but Tchuck made an interesting point.. If a runner does NOT increase mileage, lets say sticks at about 20 miles per week like Tchuck, how long will improvement in 10k times continue? Obviously it will vary from one individual to another, but roughly speaking, would improvement taper off after two years? After 3 years? Thanks! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Sorry about the partial hijack here, but Tchuck made an interesting point.. If a runner does NOT increase mileage, lets say sticks at about 20 miles per week like Tchuck, how long will improvement in 10k times continue? Obviously it will vary from one individual to another, but roughly speaking, would improvement taper off after two years? After 3 years? Thanks! Simon.
          I don't think so, but keep in mind it's just my somewhat uneducated running opinion. Why I say this is, the elite runners of the world would be running phenominal mileage at the end of a 15 or 20 year career if the only way to improve was to run more and more and...... I think taking a dayoff or two during the week because you have to indicates the runner is either running too long or too fast for their ability. Now while they are building the strength to be able to run everyday, naturally they have to have off days. An anology to think of is, I can't walk to the corner store today because I've already walked there 6 times this week, I need a dayoff. Well walking to the store should not be that difficult for the average person. Running should be the same, I think. You should train to improve but strive to improve slowly where it is not so taxing that you feel, "Oh my God I won't be able to move tommorrow". I also think taking a dayoff is not some magical cure all. If it were, there would be no need for a taper when training for a marathon. Just take the dayoff before the race. Obviously it doesn't work that way, it would take a couple of weeks of non stressfull running to be at 100%. A dayoff wouldn't do much, unless you are pushing too hard and need a break. Like I said I may well be incorrect but running everyday seems to be the best way to improve both speed and stamina.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Speediest Slug There Is!

I'm in the same position as the OP... I'm on Week 8 of the C25K and asking myself, ''What's next?'' I've dutifully followed the program, but it says nothing of ''easy runs'' or ''race runs'' and I'm not even really sure what I'm supposed to be doing to make this transition to runner. My next goal would be a 10K, but naturally I'd love to do a half marathon and eventually a full one. The Spring Training Program looks great... has anybody tried that successfully? How many days a week are we supposed to be running? I'm running 4x a week right now.
            Fall seven times, stand up eight.
            Goals:
            *Complete a 5K (no walking)
            Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
            *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
            *15 mpw base
              I'm in the same position as the OP... I'm on Week 8 of the C25K and asking myself, ''What's next?'' I've dutifully followed the program, but it says nothing of ''easy runs'' or ''race runs'' and I'm not even really sure what I'm supposed to be doing to make this transition to runner. My next goal would be a 10K, but naturally I'd love to do a half marathon and eventually a full one. The Spring Training Program looks great... has anybody tried that successfully? How many days a week are we supposed to be running? I'm running 4x a week right now.
              HH Spring training is a good " next step" for you. The key of C25K is to have you ABLE to run a 5k when you complete it, but if your goal is to race with good times, a better plan will be to get those base miles in, as your speed will naturally improve with increasing your base with lots and LOTS of slow, easy miles. It is a very cool thing that happens. Key is to keep running, and slowly increasing the miles of your runs each week or even every two weeks in the beginning. You will stay motivated and more importantly injury free this way. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

theyapper

On the road again...

That last reply from Cheffy really clears up a nagging question about the C25K program. I guess I alwasy read it like you'd be able to do a 5k in 30 minutes, but it really doesn't say that. It just says you'll be able to run 3 miles. I just assumed in 30 minutes for the 10mm pace. That was why I asked the original question about base miles, because I want to be in this for the long haul. My goal when I started C25K was to run a 5k, but now it's much more about being a runner and being fit. Base miles have become much more important to me and I guess I was wondering if that was a good thing. I do still have much to learn. Thanks for the help.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Speediest Slug There Is!

Yeah I know how you feel, yapper. I am an incredibly slow runner but for me it's more about fitness and achiving goals I never would have dreamed were possible. I love the idea of distance running though so I'm tempted to just load on the miles. But I guess slow and steady (and frequent) is the way to go. It's hard to believe running slowly, often, will make you faster, but it seems to be the tried and true method. I'm excited for the potential here. I seem to do best with the pre-made running schedules, so I'm going to try the Spring Training thing next.
                  Fall seven times, stand up eight.
                  Goals:
                  *Complete a 5K (no walking)
                  Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
                  *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
                  *15 mpw base
                  Lane

I don't think so, but keep in mind it's just my somewhat uneducated running opinion. Why I say this is, the elite runners of the world would be running phenominal mileage at the end of a 15 or 20 year career if the only way to improve was to run more and more and...... I think taking a dayoff or two during the week because you have to indicates the runner is either running too long or too fast for their ability. Now while they are building the strength to be able to run everyday, naturally they have to have off days. An anology to think of is, I can't walk to the corner store today because I've already walked there 6 times this week, I need a dayoff. Well walking to the store should not be that difficult for the average person. Running should be the same, I think. You should train to improve but strive to improve slowly where it is not so taxing that you feel, "Oh my God I won't be able to move tommorrow". I also think taking a dayoff is not some magical cure all. If it were, there would be no need for a taper when training for a marathon. Just take the dayoff before the race. Obviously it doesn't work that way, it would take a couple of weeks of non stressfull running to be at 100%. A dayoff wouldn't do much, unless you are pushing too hard and need a break. Like I said I may well be incorrect but running everyday seems to be the best way to improve both speed and stamina.
                    I respectfully disagree, and submit that you can take a day off without needing to. I take days off, but I could have run that day. Maybe I'm losing an opportunity to train, but when you're running 100k/wk, it seems like running only 5k wouldn't be much of a workout, so in my opinion, I might as well take that day off. I agree that taking a day off isn't a magic cure all, it's more like an enchanted cure-some. Some things can really be helped by taking a day off.
                      Yeah I know how you feel, yapper. for me it's more about fitness and achiving goals I never would have dreamed were possible.
                      NOW YOU GOT IT! Wink Keep that mindset and I guarantee you that you will gain so much more than you ever set out for. Welcome to becoming a RUNNER..... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS"