Peleton (Read 151 times)

bioguy

My wife loves to bike and hates running; she has indicated she would like a Peleton. I knwo they are pricey, but I have fouind few people who dislike theirs.

Any thoughts by those of you that might have one?

Jill_B

I fly.

We have one.  I rarely use the actual bike, but I LOVE the app (you can subscribe to the app without the bike or tread).  My husband, who never planned on using the bike ever, is totally obsessed and uses it daily.  It is super pricey, but totally worth the investment (we have no plans to ever go back to a gym/fitness studio).

Bring it on.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Peloton is just a brand. Plenty of other options exist if she wants an indoor bike trainer and online coaching. None of them are cheap. $2,000 seems to be a starting point for a Peloton. Costco sells an Echelon EX-5 for $1,500. They also sell a Proform Tour De France bike for $500. Seems like everyone getting OUT of the Peloton game wants ALL their money back and doesn't want to take a loss for their $2,000 investment so don't even try to buy used.

Peloton requires a monthly membership. $39/month for a year. Add that to the $49/month at 0% they're currently offering. Almost $3,500.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If she already has a bike, a smart trainer and Zwift is a pretty great solution.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Tyler S

I think Zoom has the right idea if price is a concern. That said, a triathlete roommate in college had one and it was extremely loud (disclaimer: I know little about bike trainers). I've used quite a few exercise bikes and they are much quieter which may be valuable to you. They also require no set-up other than possibly seat-height adjustment if the bike is shared.

As for peleton,  a co-worker bought one and he and his wife use it every day. They love both the service and the bike. I was told there are lots of classes, different style coaches (mean, nice, supportive, etc.), and other perks. The bikes do function without the app, but the settings are limited to something like time, resistance, and distance.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yes, old school “dumb” trainers are loud (comical that CyclOps had one called The Silencer…and it sounded like a jet engine), but smart trainers are relatively quiet. At least our Wahoo KICKRs are. I’m guessing smart stationary bikes and smart trainers are pretty similar, noise-wise.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Village people

I didn’t use their back but I used to use the all

and my bike in a trainer. It took a bit of guess work but I liked the workouts and felt like it was a good use of my time. The app was free when I started but I think it is $12/mos now. I spend my days riding in Watopia these days but spin classes can be fun.