Aqua-Jogging mpw PR (Read 124 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The Doc says no running.  No cycling.  No world cup soccer.  Just pool running.

I've been drowning my sorrow, with the help of a few friends, in Kenny's pool.  The generally accepted aqua-jogging pace equivalent is 10min miles (depending on effort).  If that's the case, put me down for 60miles this week.  Ten frigg'n hours going in small circles.

Thanks to MamaOfThree who made two of the days bearable.  Thanks to Ira Glass and This American Life for keeping me sane the other days.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Village people

That is pretty impressive!

What about swimming? I might have to take up aqua jogging.

Wing

Joggaholic

Ten frigg'n hours going in small circles.

Impressive! Especially when it sounds like torture in slow motion to me... I hope you recover soon!

Sultan of slug

Nicely done. As someone who’s been relegated to the pool for the past few weeks, I feel your pain and am moved to say, “Damn!” Are you emulating your normal “dryland” routine in the pool, for the most part?

If you want to mix it up, I've found Pfitzinger's deep-water running plan to be a lot of fun. Its strengths are three-fold for me. First, it makes the workouts more mentally stimulating. You have mini-goalposts to focus on and break up your session. Plus, when you’re in oxygen debt, the minutes just fly by. It’s almost like blacking out and waking up 30 minutes later, during which time you’ve gotten a killer workout.

Second, it’s nice to have some structure. I like following plans, assuming I understand their underpinnings and can modify them as needed.

Third, it seems to have solid grounding physiologically. Since you can’t get your heart rate up in the pool as much as you can on land, I’m not sure how valuable steady pool “miles” are from the standpoint of general aerobic fitness. So if you can’t get great base training in the pool, you might as well stress another important component of running fitness: VO2 max. Going hard in the pool is also a great way to build leg strength.

Anyway, good luck recovering and keep it up.

Had to reply as I see you have a pelvic stress fracture.  I thought I was the only one!  Had not one, but two about 11 years ago.  You're better than me.  I tried the pool running thing and pretty much gave up and took time off to let it heal.  I couldn't bear the pool!  Nice work!

Had to reply as I see you have a pelvic stress fracture.  I thought I was the only one!  Had not one, but two about 11 years ago.  You're better than me.  I tried the pool running thing and pretty much gave up and took time off to let it heal.  I couldn't bear the pool!  Nice work!

what makes the pool running more bearable is to do mini interval sessions. When that's my only option, I'll do workouts such as

5 to 10 minutes to w/u +

10 x 30secs to 2 minutes hard w/ short (30s) recoveries +

5 to 10 minute c/d

The time goes by much quicker, and it's actually more beneficial than steady "running"

MrH

There are ways to more easily raise the heart rate when pool running - in addition to using a belt you can add tethers and 'stompers'.

Here's a copy of a post from a couple of years ago on this topic:

With the belts, hand-held resistance bells or paddles, tethers (to provide control when really working hard) and footwear called stompers (vertical resistance simulating hill work) you can implement a lot of types of highly relevant training without impact, and with the cooling, resistance & massaging effects of water..

There are some good resources at: http://www.aquajogger.com/blog/?page_id=128

Be carefully about adding footwear as they can increase resistance to the point where you get uncomfortable stresses on the knees.

Salazar is using an underwater treadmill from Hydroworx. He says that Rupp would not be getting the volume he is and remaining healthy without it.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Sultan of slug

Salazar is using an underwater treadmill from Hydroworx. He says that Rupp would not be getting the volume he is and remaining healthy without it.

Yeah, this is the key for injury-prone/dumb runners like me. I should really run 10 mpw less than I'm inclined to and get in another one or two pool "runs" each week when I'm healthy. Plus, the facility I go to also has a big hot tub hydrotherapy pool, which is pretty nice on the ol' soft tissue when you're trying to enhance recovery.