The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

rlopez

Ask me anything in this thread, and I will answer it.

But I will start with this: I had high high hopes for the Will Smith Wild Wild West movie, and a million years later, I'm still not over how truly bad it was.

Question 1:

What was the worst aspect of Wild Wild West?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

rlopez

Question 1:

What was the worst aspect of Wild Wild West?

The popular answer is "giant fucking spiders" (Kevin Smith famously worked on the rewrite of a Superman movie starring Nicolas Cage that never materialized. The producer, Jon Peters, had three requirements... a different suit, Superman couldn't fly (WTF!), and something about giant spiders). Time passes, Jon Peters next movie comes out, Wild Wild West.... giant spider).

But my answer is more esoteric - it is not a finished movie. It meanders and the payoffs are weird. It needed a rewrite and way better editing. It feels like you are watching the first cut of something that might be good down the road.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ah!  I remember there was an “ask Mr MattM anything thread” years ago in the old RW which was entertaining. 

My first question...what happened to Mr MattM?  We’re the same age and both ran our first Sub 3 in 2010 and I’d like to see him make a comeback. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

rlopez

Ah!  I remember there was an “ask Mr MattM anything thread” years ago in the old RW which was entertaining. 

My first question...what happened to Mr MattM?  We’re the same age and both ran our first Sub 3 in 2010 and I’d like to see him make a comeback. 👍

He borrowed that from me on coolrunning and kickrunners. Ha. (edited to add: I probably did similar ones on RWOL, but I do not recall)

I do not know what happened to him. Interesting dude. Dr Ternt has a story where Matt intentionally DNFed at, like, mile 25 of Tupelo or some damn thing.

One year, I did a triple weekend where I ran the Pocatello Marathon followed by the now defunct New Mexico Marathon in Albuquerque (NOT DUKE CITY), followed by the American Discovery Trail Marathon in Colorado Springs on Labor Day. Woohoo! I actually ran 11 marathons that September... double, double, triple, quadzilla. 

A year or two later, Matt did the same thing. But! I took the easy route and flew to get to each city. Our man Matt drove between them. Kudos to Matt for that.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

He borrowed that from me on coolrunning and kickrunners. Ha. (edited to add: I probably did similar ones on RWOL, but I do not recall)

I do not know what happened to him. Interesting dude. Dr Ternt has a story where Matt intentionally DNFed at, like, mile 25 of Tupelo or some damn thing.

One year, I did a triple weekend where I ran the Pocatello Marathon followed by the now defunct New Mexico Marathon in Albuquerque (NOT DUKE CITY), followed by the American Discovery Trail Marathon in Colorado Springs on Labor Day. Woohoo! I actually ran 11 marathons that September... double, double, triple, quadzilla. 

A year or two later, Matt did the same thing. But! I took the easy route and flew to get to each city. Our man Matt drove between them. Kudos to Matt for that.

Definitely an interesting dude and I remember him posting about that experience. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

As a kid I liked the tv show.

are you running much now?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Do you like your toilet paper over or under?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

<suites up in my flame-retardant pants>

While I think over looks nicer, there are two technical advantages to under:

1) If you have a cat, you already know.  (cats paw at the roll; Under doesn't release paper when they spin it)

2) If you have a tight bathroom, where the roll is adjacent to the sitter, an Over often has the paper draping onto your leg.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

darkwave

Mother of Cats

<suites up in my flame-retardant pants>

While I think over looks nicer, there are two technical advantages to under:

1) If you have a cat, you already know.  (cats paw at the roll; Under doesn't release paper when they spin it)

2) If you have a tight bathroom, where the roll is adjacent to the sitter, an Over often has the paper draping onto your leg.

We have three cats.

We do not use toilet paper wall holders anymore.  The toilet paper is instead stored on a high shelf (meaning that we have to warn quests where the TP is so they don't get trapped on the seat...)

This also enables us to evade the over/under question, which was previously one of our greatest disagreements as a couple.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

This also enables us to evade the over/under question, which was previously one of our greatest disagreements as a couple.

Well, sure.  But is the roll placed clockwise, or counter-clockwise?  o_O

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

bhearn

I had high high hopes for the Will Smith Wild Wild West movie, 

You lost me here.

bhearn

It feels like you are watching the first cut of something that might be good down the road.

Ah, no. It bears about as much resemblance to the original show as Smith's "I, Robot" does to Asimov. It might be good down the road if you are far enough down the road that you managed to erase it from your memory, as I had until now.

rlopez

As a kid I liked the tv show.

are you running much now?

No. I went from running 4000ish miles a year (for about 10 years, including one year where I averaged 13.1 miles a day) to zero. I am back to running... 75-100 miles a month. It has been humbling. 

I have survived cancer, stroke, MRSA, people shooting at me and literally trying to blow me up. But when it comes to running, a foot injury that I can't solve has sidelined me since 2017.

rlopez

Over, like a normal person.

Everything stadjak says is perfectly reasonable. I do not currently have cats.