it's only a 5K but..... (Read 879 times)

aliwonderland

hi i'm new to this site but from the postings i've read, it looks like it's got a lot of good info. wish i had found this a couple months ago! i'm running my 2nd 5K this weekend (first was last october) and my training is going quite badly. finished the first 5K in 28 minutes, 22 seconds, which i was pleased with, but this time around i can't even run 3 miles without walking for some part of it. the route for the upcoming 5k is "challenging" which i'm sure is code-word for "hilly - you are SO screwed". any hints, suggestions, insults? please???? thanks bunches.
      Since it's too late for training tips and I can't view your log so let me give you some racing tips. Try to check out the course beforehand if possible. Arrive early enough that you can get a proper warm up, break a sweat and do some light stretching. If the hills are much more challenging than you're used to walk up the steepiest hill or two. On the other hills maintain your effort and don't get into oxygen debt, you probably haven't done enough speed work to get out of it. Start moderately easy, it is a commom mistake to get caught up in a fast start. Try to increase your effort every half mile, that may or may not increase your speed, it depends where the hills are located. Focus on a strong finish, lock that picture in your mind, don't underestimate the mental aspect of racing. Good luck & remember it is a learning experience, think long term you'll be happier. Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Don't say "only a 5k"! I just ran my first on Saturday, and I was like you--I was having trouble training--I usually had to walk part of it. On race day, I was able to run the whole thing. Maybe the excitement of the race? If you absolutely have to take walk breaks, so what? You're still moving forward. You'll get there.
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

28 minutes is fast for your first 5k! I'm just hoping to break 30, and I ran 5ks all last year. It's normal to have peaks and valleys, so hang in there. Good luck!
            my advice is to walk around... like at least 1/2 a mile at a not slow but not too brisk pace before... to get loose... Start the race slower than you think you should... stay within yourself... don't get out of breath. After you pass the first mile marker allow yourself to pick up the pace a bit. Allow yourself to go with 1/2 mile to go. My idea is that if you go out too fast all that happens is you run out of gas and slow down... the you get passed by a bunch of people... if you go out too slow then you can pick up the pace and get to be the one passing people which is alot of fun... at least I think so. One of my favorite race experiences is one where I went out and a ran 10 minute for the first mile of a 1/2 marathon.. then a 9:30 minute mile... and when I hit the 4 mile marked I settled into 8:45's and passed people every 1/4 mile from then to the end of the race... it was a blast... I have also done some personal experiments at 3 mile loop around a lake by my house... lets say I am capable of running the 3 miles in 27 minutes (9 minute mile) and I run the first mile in 8, the second in 9... it is a stretch to finish the last in 10... However the opposite is easier... I can run a 10 then a 9 then and 8 with relative ease.... actually I found that easier than running 9,9,9... which you would think is idea... I think it is because as you warm up... running at a give pace gets easier as the blood is flowing... Ok now on running hills... think consistent effort not consistent pace. Also if you feel yourself slowing to the point of approaching your walking speed then just walk... and have you legs under you for the down hill portion... AND the absolute most important thing... SMILE and have fun...
            aliwonderland

Thanks to everyone who posted!! You definitely gave me some much-needed motivation!!!

SMART Approach

hi but this time around i can't even run 3 miles without walking for some part of it. the route for the upcoming 5k is "challenging" which i'm sure is code-word for "hilly - you are SO screwed". any hints, suggestions, insults? please???? thanks bunches.
                What do you mean you can't even run 3 miles without walking? Are you racing in your training. Most of your running in training should feel comfortable paced not hard. My biggest advice for you for your next race is to start a bit slower, don't fly out! And start running more miles, slower.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com