Why do we make it so complicated? (Read 1732 times)

mb197314

Garmins...GPS's...HRM's...Lactate Threshhold...VO2 Max...Intervals...Fartleks...Tempo's... We get so wrapped up in the science of running that we forget to enjoy it's simplicity... Get a good pair of shoes...Decents shorts...And a tech shirt...Now, go run...Just run...At a pace that is comfortable...Enjoy your surroundings...Forget about heart rate, pace, BPM... Just do it... K-eep I-t S-imple S-exy (stupid, sissy, whatever)
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

People get so wrapped in criticizing how everyone else runs, and criticizing which gadgets they use. Why do we make it so complicated? Why can't just celebrate the fact that lots of people are running, and quit whining that we don't like what they do or how many gadgets they carry, or that they wear running skirts? Heh.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Being a geeky engineer, the Garmin makes running more fun for me. Without it, I wouldn't be on track to run 1,000 miles this year. That's not a lot for most of you, but for a former 180+ pound, middle-aged mom, it's pretty good. I do enjoy my surroundings, by the way. Smile
        xor

I think the gadget part of the original post will attract the most attention, so I'll comment on the other. I love my intervals. I love my tempo runs. Hills are great. I have the base to handle them. I also know this from years of experience being me. If all I did was 'go out and run' every day, I'd run 6 days a week of easy runs and on race day, I'd run a x : xx race. By doing some speedwork... again, with a big base to support it, I run a race where x : xx is substantially smaller. Yes, KISS is nice. I just happen to be one of those "train slow, race slow" people. I gotta do my speed work so that I can be "train with a mix, race less slow". Besides, running different kinds of workouts keeps it interesting.

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Being a geeky engineer, the Garmin makes running more fun for me. Without it, I wouldn't be on track to run 1,000 miles this year. That's not a lot for most of you, but for a former 180+ pound, middle-aged mom, it's pretty good. I do enjoy my surroundings, by the way. Smile
            <slight_thread-jack> Congratulations!!! </slight_thread-jack>

Chris
            PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If all I did was 'go out and run' every day, I'd run 6 days a week of easy runs and on race day, I'd run a x : xx race.
              If all I did was run when I actually feel like running I would have bailed on this marathon training thing months ago...like when I first had knee issues. Now the knee issues have mostly cleared, but I am exhausted 14.5 weeks into my plan (1 week to taper, YES!) and want to do nothing more than go back to bed. Sometimes it needs to be "complex" in order to reach a goal. And sometimes it's the gadgets and #s that give us that little extra bit of motivation necessary to get us out the door. I can't count all the times when I have looked down at my Garmin and realized that if I ran just .2 of a mile I'd hit an arbitrary # for the week. At the end of a year all those fractions of a mile add up AND put that much more distance between me and the Pace Bunny. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Why? Will it make me happier? Will it make you happier?
                Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                TJoseph

Sometimes it feels good to run long, sometimes it feels good to run fast. That isn't complicated. I don't look at my Garmin much during a run, but I am pretty obsessive about logging my runs. I was that way before there were GPS watches, I just found other ways to measure my runs.
                  mb197314

People get so wrapped in criticizing how everyone else runs, and criticizing which gadgets they use. Why do we make it so complicated? Why can't just celebrate the fact that lots of people are running, and quit whining that we don't like what they do or how many gadgets they carry, or that they wear running skirts? Heh.
                    I don't think I criticized anybody. Nor was I whining. I asked a simple question. Perhaps you should look a little deeper within yourself to try and see why it hit such a raw nerve with you.
                      I don't think I criticized anybody. Nor was I whining. I asked a simple question. Perhaps you should look a little deeper within yourself to try and see why it hit such a raw nerve with you.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

um... people run for different reasons... some folks like to obsess... some like just doing... others love the results of doing but not the actual doing... others love the accomplishment...some like to measure their progress... others like to measure it in very precise detail... some people just overuse elipses... others don't... some folks think that running the perfect balance of speed work and distance coupled with proper nutrition will make them run faster.... others think just running more will make you faster... The point is if we were all the same... um... do I have a point?
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Perhaps you should look a little deeper within yourself to try and see why it hit such a raw nerve with you.
                          Hehehe -- it didn't hit a nerve at all, I just find it funny how people whine so much about "too many gadgets, it's toooo complex, why won't people just run"--I find all that whining pretty funny. I assume you people enjoy the whining, and it is part of what you like about posting, and that's ok with me. There is a whole 2000mile forum which is *hilarious* and full of people whining all the time about how they hate people who use gadgets, and hate everybody else's systems, and they're always arguing about systems. Lots of insulting, and most of them are just playing crazy characters for fun, and pretending to be crotchety as hell for entertainment value. It's great fun -- I recommend it heartily -- well, as long as you are a person who is in a good mood and enjoys the crazy things people post, like I do. if you get your feelings hurt easily -- and it sounds like you might be one of those people - then take it really slowly and build up your endurance, until you can find yourself able to enjoy more and more posts per week. Later, after you have built a good base of being able to read posts without getting your feelings hurt, you can work up to intervals (reading particularly sarcastic and funny things over, to enjoy them again), and speedwork (reading long threads really fast) - that is for advanced forum users. First you need to build a good base though, then you'll be ready to advance later on.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Scout7

Never mind.
                              Hehehe -- it didn't hit a nerve at all, I just find it funny how people whine so much about "too many gadgets, it's toooo complex, why won't people just run"--I find all that whining pretty funny. I assume you people enjoy the whining, and it is part of what you like about posting, and that's ok with me. There is a whole 2000mile forum which is *hilarious* and full of people whining all the time about how they hate people who use gadgets, and hate everybody else's systems, and they're always arguing about systems. Lots of insulting, and most of them are just playing crazy characters for fun, and pretending to be crotchety as hell for entertainment value. It's great fun -- I recommend it heartily -- well, as long as you are a person who is in a good mood and enjoys the crazy things people post, like I do. if you get your feelings hurt easily -- and it sounds like you might be one of those people - then take it really slowly and build up your endurance, until you can find yourself able to enjoy more and more posts per week. Later, after you have built a good base of being able to read posts without getting your feelings hurt, you can work up to intervals (reading particularly sarcastic and funny things over, to enjoy them again), and speedwork (reading long threads really fast) - that is for advanced forum users. First you need to build a good base though, then you'll be ready to advance later on.
                              POTD!

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

xor

POTD!
                                I went in there once, but it triggered PTSD.