Sad Day for Garmin (Read 427 times)

chaplanger

Home from Iraq 2005

This morning's run started like any other. . . except that while attempting to put my Garmin 205 on, I dropped it face down on the concrete walkway. It immediately turned itself off but restarted without a problem. Only after I was running for a half mile did I notice that my 1/4 mile lap beeper, wasn't beeping. Yup, after over 3 years of service my helpful reminder is gone. If only it had happened because of corrosion instead of simply dropping the thing.

Oh well, I may have to start looking for a new watch soon. . . so sad ;-)

5k: -- 26:12 (12/17/2016)

10k: 58:36 (6/14/2016)

Half: 2:08:23 (7/4/2015)

Longest: 15.03 (5/31/2014)

Half Marathon Bucket List Goals: 15 of 50 states completed / 2 of 7 Continents completed.

will run for popsicles

No hammer was involved?

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Think happy thoughts - time to upgrade.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

You need a new GPS watch because the trusty 205 no longer beeps at a 1/4 mile?

Do you throw the pencil away when the lead loses it point?

Do you trade in your car when its time to change the oil?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

No beep, but it works otherwise? Have you tried any reset function on the watch? My three year-old Garmin is fluky, working some days and not other days. Could be time to replace yours ... or time to just deal with a watch that doesn't beep any longer.

BTW, I'm about to start the accession process as a chaplain in the Indiana National Guard ... I'm fine on the 2 mile of the APFT, but I need some work on the sit-ups and push-ups ... Joking

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Of course.

How else would you get a sharp point.

You have to oil in your car?

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I had a little bike crash while wearing my 305 and it too lost it's beeping ability. However, about a year later, it started to work again. Its' been a couple more years now and the beep still works.

Maybe yours too will start beeping again (when it's suppose to).

Of course.

How else would you get a sharp point.

You have to oil in your car?

Big grin

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I had a little bike crash while wearing my 305 and it too lost it's beeping ability. 

Mine too but I think it stopped from sweat corrosion.  I used it for 2 plus years without beeps.  No beeps may help stop clock watching and learn to just run.  Now that I have a new GPS watch the first thing I do is disable beeps.

It still works where it counts so you can either just keep rolling with a nice watch that doesn't beep every 1/4 mile or you can take it as a handy excuse to upgrade to the shiny new garmin forerunner 220 or 620! http://sites.garmin.com/forerunnerCoach/

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

A Saucy Wench

Think happy thoughts - time to upgrade.

That is not a happy thought.  The 205/305 was the best of the bunch.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xhristopher

If you ran with music you wouldn't have this problem.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Hire someone to run along with you and beep ever 1/4 mile. I'll do it if you like.  $200/hour plus travel, lodging and food :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                            Gatorade Endurance Team

chaplanger

Home from Iraq 2005

Appreciate the humor shared on many of these posts -- and for the most part you are absolutely right. the Garmin 205 is a great watch and has always been "Mr. Faithful." Big grin  Most of the time I didn't pay any attention to the "beeps."

But, and there is always a "but", I guess I could have been a bit clearer. . . If I was just using the watch for recreational running the little beep wouldn't matter, but I use it as an integral part of keeping me on point during my APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) 2 mile run. I know what my splits need to be and if I need to speed up or slow down. Since the course often changes,(or the unit where I am taking the APFT)  there are not any visual clues for these breaks. I suppose I could begin using the pacer function -- but that relies on sound cues as well. . .

To duckworth -- if you need a helpful routine to get you on track for the rest of your APFT check out www.hundredpushups.com -- they have some helpful ideas for progressive training programs for both the sit-ups and push-ups.  Don't worry about having all of this accomplished prior to accessioning, CH-BOLC will get you in shape in no time. Pro Deo et Patria!

Half Marathon Bucket List Goals: 15 of 50 states completed / 2 of 7 Continents completed.

chaplanger

Home from Iraq 2005

True story: The year was 1984, my wife and I were in the market for a 'newer' car. We stopped at a dealership in the Twin Cities (MN) and were shown a nice looking Chrysler "K" car. We were assured that the vehicle had a "new" rebuilt engine. It seems the previous owners didn't know they needed to check the oil level, change the oil, or add oil -- amazingly the thing seized up on them. . . You guessed it, we passed on that car.

However I am confused. . . what is this "pencil" of which you speak? Big grin