Out of shape or something else? (Read 213 times)

RyanHetrick

So I've been running consistently for the last three years. Might not be 3-4 times every week, but most weeks with a week break here or there. But I've noticed lately that when I take one of those week breaks, I feel more exhausted than refreshed when I start running again, is this normal? I've always been in pretty good shape, having run in two marathons before, so this is a weird, new, frustrating thing to me.

I've also been 'unofficially' diagnosed with exercise's asthma so I'm not sure if this could be a factor as well. Would appreciate suggestions or tips, thanks!

ultramarathon/triathlete

So I've been running consistently for the last three years. Might not be 3-4 times every week, but most weeks with a week break here or there. But I've noticed lately that when I take one of those week breaks, I feel more exhausted than refreshed when I start running again, is this normal? I've always been in pretty good shape, having run in two marathons before, so this is a weird, new, frustrating thing to me.

I've also been 'unofficially' diagnosed with exercise's asthma so I'm not sure if this could be a factor as well. Would appreciate suggestions or tips, thanks!

Stop taking weeks off and you'll get rid of your exercise asthma (that's another an unofficial diagnosis for you).

Seriously though, I feel out of shape if I take more than 3 days in a row off.  So, I just don't do that.  I used to think it would give my body time to heal up the random things that are always sore, but nope, I think those are age related.  Rest only makes me fat.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

SillyC

Jeepers, get officially diagnosed and get the inhaler.  It's like magic.

Runslowalksalot

I'm right there with you buddy.  I took a little break after my last 1/2; my first non-recovery run was horrible, I felt like I lost a ton of fitness!   It is what it is.   One thing I have noticed (and this may play a part) is that I'm more inclined to eat healthy while in training for a specific race or goal.   When I'm not, I am much more likely to succumb to the temptation and eat an entire bag of doritos watching football on Sunday.

GO BEARS!!!

pedaling fool

It's hard to say, but if this weakness is a "new feeling" than it could be something else, which is taxing your system. You ask if it's "normal", but that would (at least) require one to have the same habits as you as well as the same age and level of fitness, etc... but even then everyone is different, so not really a good measure. The question is, is it normal for you? Sounds like it's not. So maybe there is something else going on or maybe you're just ageing....?

Personally, I agree with Mendeldave, taking too much time off is harder on the body than just staying active. That doesn't mean you need to run, you can cycle or lift weights or whatever, but taking too much time off is generally not good, especially if you're getting up in the years.

This doesn't mean you need to perform at your optimum level, just be active and it keeps things working, but taking time off (a week or more)tricks the body into "shutting down"; you can recover during light exercise, they idea that you need to take time off to recover is largely a myth.

What do you mean by unofficially diagnosed with exercise's asthma? Is there pain associated with your symptoms?

Latent Runner

Rest only makes me fat.

Hey, I resemble that remark!  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
              • 2-mile: 13:49
              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
              • 5-Mile: 37:24
              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13