running with others and figuring out paces (Read 483 times)

Hi, I enjoy running with others as well as running on my own. When I meet others (i.e. - at work) and find out that they run, I'm often eager to try to run together. However, it always comes the question of pace and distance when considering running together. Question: How do people figure out the other's pace and distance? and how close of a match is needed for it to "work"? I've found +/- 0:45 off my "comfortable pace" (8:15's) is about as much as I'm confortable with....narrow, huh? And then, there is the additional quandary of how to encourage beginning runner to run by suggesting to start on a run together, but then, also suggest not running the entire distance together. I love sharing the running experience with others, and if it's suitable for the whole route, that's great, and if not, it's still good. With an often sometimes limited lunch hour, I sometimes just need to get in my miles, cool down, and shower in an hour I'm happy to start together, but I really want to get in my miles. Does this make sense? any suggestions? thx.

2008 Goals: 10k < 44, HM < 1:40, learn to use my Garmin

milkbaby

I enjoy running with others as well as running on my own. When I meet others (i.e. - at work) and find out that they run, I'm often eager to try to run together. However, it always comes the question of pace and distance when considering running together. Question: How do people figure out the other's pace and distance? and how close of a match is needed for it to "work"? I've found +/- 0:45 off my "comfortable pace" (8:15's) is about as much as I'm confortable with....narrow, huh? And then, there is the additional quandary of how to encourage beginning runner to run by suggesting to start on a run together, but then, also suggest not running the entire distance together.
      If you want to run with some folks, can't you just ask how far and how fast they want to run? Then you can say "yea" or "nay" depending on if it falls in your comfortable range of paces. If your paces are agreeable but some people want to run more or less, you can just arrange to start at the same time or with planning you can have the folks who want more miles to start early and loop back at a specific time to meet the others who will run less. I usually do a couple of runs with a group, but the general pace of the group is usually a very slow easy pace for me, so I use the group runs as recovery or easy runs just to get some miles in and to socialize. I can always go slower, but I don't want to get pushed too fast in a group as I prefer to do my quality work by myself. As for helping a beginner, you could do a mile or 2 mile very slow warm up with them which might be their entire run, and then when they finish you can continue your workout. Or you can do a workout on the track or on side-by-side treadmills at the gym at your own paces so you're both in the same place but running your own paces. Hope this helps...
      "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

The Terminator

I started running with a friend last year. She started to get faster than me, then much faster. Now we run together when we're on treadmills at the gym, or I run with her on her short, easy days and count them as my tempo runs.

"In the South, the cotillion of Machiavelli is played as a soft-shoe, in three-quarter time." - Pat Conroy

Hey, nice marmot!

^ | | | Designing woman above!

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Ringmaster

Same here. I run with a much faster friend about once a week and just count them as my tempo runs. When they fall on the same days as her long runs, she tacks on another four or five miles after I go home. We make it work because we like to run together. For friends that you've never run with before, it's an experiment, I guess. I told her the first time we ran together that I was just going to try it out, since she'd been running so much longer than I had, and she understood that. Some of our other running friends can't run with her, and have told her so. I find that I enjoy running with her, but like I said, they're not easy runs. Just my experience.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile