How exactly do you race? (Read 1049 times)

#artbydmcbride

I've never been fast enough to go into a race intending to 'race' others, but I have been in the situation where a trash talking running club buddy has made me want to ' at least beat them. Big grin Trying to catch them has been to hard for me, so I try to get out fast and get far enough ahead that they can't follow too close. Then I concentrate on staying ahead of them. If they catch me, then I settle in and bide my time. I try to pass in the last mile and do it by a decisive surge! Then I sprint like hell and never look back. 2 out 3 times it has worked for me. Smile

Runners run

You'll ruin your knees!

I haven't run a 5k since my first year of running...for a reason. The longer the race, the more I like it. I have a feeling that I'm going to like the marathon more than the 5k (shut your pie-hole, Jlynnbob Wink).
      I like pie! Wink Big grin Kirsten, You know you wanna get dirty! You're totally a trail girl! Race strategy? Start off conservatively, then pick it up until I'm moving so fast that it looks like the rocks and trees are standing still. JK, I suspect that you and I could so totally run together! Hey, I'd even let you draft off me, you know, I'd break wind for you! Tongue Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like pie! Wink Big grin Kirsten, You know you wanna get dirty! You're totally a trail girl!
        Yeah...except for the fact that a nice packed dirt road is about as "trail" as I have ever gotten... Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Yeah...except for the fact that a nice packed dirt road is about as "trail" as I have ever gotten... Wink
          ...but far short of how "dirty" you've ever gotten! Wink Black eye Yes

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Scout7

Racing doesn't have to just occur in a race. You can do it in training, too. I get that way sometimes.
              Well, I usually race against myself, setting unrealistic goals. I have considered just taking out competition in the parking lot prior to the race with a lead pipe... gotta re-think that one

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

a nice packed dirt road is about as "trail" as I have ever gotten... Wink
                Nice to see that even Scout and Globule are in the holiday spirit, and giving this one a pass. Very mature of you gentlemen, your mothers and Trebek would be proud.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

obsessor

run-to-win's advice is great. I'll only add two things, regarding out-and-back races. 1. Obviously, you can time the margins between your competitors in front of you by watching as you pass a common pinpoint. If you know your cadence, you can time it that way. But a turnaround gives you the chance to time the people behind you. Note your time at the turnaround. Count the seconds, when you pass, double those seconds and that is your margin. 2. Smile at the next few cometitors and give a little wave or nod. You are out for a stroll, a morning jog, just a training run. Don't let them know you want to lie down and die. Make it seem as if you are running easy. Ok, I will add another, but it's not good: Hate your competition during the race. Fear and loathing have gotten me through many a race.