Grandma's Marathon (Read 702 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN, is an awesome destination marathon, flat and fast along Lake Superior. It is helf mid June. Registration is mail-in only and closes within a few weeks. Registration froms are available online for download as of Monday, January 22, 2007. Click here. From the website:
    THE 31ST ANNUAL GRANDMA'S MARATHON IS ON JUNE 16, 2007 The race is limited to 9,500 participants and entries are taken on a first come/first serve basis.
    See y'all up there in June!
      I think I'm going to do this one, then I can train for Detroit in October if I don't BQ here. Smile One question though. I was looking on the website and it said no headphones or similar devices. Are they pretty strict on that? I usually prefer to have a little musical motivation whenever possible, especially for the long runs. Does anyone know more about Grandma's no headphone policy??
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think I'm going to do this one, then I can train for Detroit in October if I don't BQ here. Smile One question though. I was looking on the website and it said no headphones or similar devices. Are they pretty strict on that? I usually prefer to have a little musical motivation whenever possible, especially for the long runs. Does anyone know more about Grandma's no headphone policy??
        If you are considering Grandma's, you need to send in your applications TODAY. I see folks on that course wearing headphones. That said, I too enjoy music on long runs but never find it necessary during actual marathons since there is so much else and so many other people to keep me moving.
          It's equally important to start thinking about your lodging while in Duluth. It's difficult to find vacancies and usually pretty expensive. I ran last year and made lodging arrangements before I left for this year.
            I sent in my application form earlier this week. I was planning to stay in the dorms, and avoid the whole hotel searching mess. For those who have run Grandma's before, is that a bad idea?

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have not been to the dorms, but I have heard that they are just fine and very convenient. Dinner the evening before? I know several folks who will probably be up there and we may try to get something together.
                Only if you share course secrets. Smile This will be my first Grandma's, and only my second marathon. Also, hopefully, my Boston qualifier.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Only if you share course secrets. Smile This will be my first Grandma's, and only my second marathon. Also, hopefully, my Boston qualifier.
                  Fire me an email and we'll be able to touch base closer to the race. Click
                    Oh Lord, they cashed my check. I guess I'm really running this thing. Wink

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Congratulations guys!!! You will love it. Grandma's Marathon and Duluth, MN are great!!
                      http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                      brandonb

I just wanted to ask about the headphone policy again. This looks to be new this year where they PROHIBIT headphones. (In the past, I think they were not recommended) This will be my first marathon and I would like to try it with headphones first just in case I do need them. Does anyone know FOR SURE that we will be able to use headphones at Grandma's even though it says they are prohibited? Thanks! -Brandon
                        JakeKnight

Obviously, if they're prohibited, nobody knows for sure that they'll ignore their own prohibition (well, nobody who isn't pals with the race director). But as far as I know, every big race specifically prohibits headphones (mainly for liability reasons - lawyers suck). And I've never seen a race that actually enforced that prohibition. Somebody around here was talking the other day about some marathon that had a picture on their website right next to that PROHIBITION on headphones, and in the picture people were - you guessed it - wearing headphones. But with all that said ... I'd make sure to have a drop bag available, or a friend you can hand the iPod to, just in case they do decide to actually enforce it. Shorter version: take the iPod - but have a back-up plan, just in case, unless you don't mind losing it. P.S. Have to add it (if I don't, somebody else will) ... but since it's your first marathon, you might want to skip the music. In fact, if you're like most people, you won't listen to it much, anyway. As I've said before, I always carry music, and just about never listen to it. Too much to see and do.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Like JKN said. But go up and enjoy Grandma's. Save your music for the treadmill Wink