Celiac Disease (Read 908 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sweet! Or better yet: sweet cinnamon rolls!!
    celiacChris

3Days4Cure

My test came back clean as a whistle, no celiac for me. Thank GOD! I wouldn't want to go on a gluten free diet - I loves me my breads and cereals! Smile
      Congratulations! That's a huge relief. Big grin

Chris
      PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Sweet! Or better yet: sweet cinnamon rolls!!
        Mmm...cinnamon rolls...

Chris
        PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

De-slacking in progress

My MIL has it- before they finally figured out what was wrong with her she dang near died (for real) She ended up in hospital due to excessive gastrointestinal problems, which ruined her potassium and iron levels and about 20 other things wrong all because of a little gluten!! My BIL also tested positive for it. For the last year they have gone gluten free and she is in "perfect" health for a 84 year old. At first, when she was learning the new eating lifestyle, all the stuff she made at first tasted like CRAP. But she's educated herself and now when ever we go over to eat I can't even tell the difference- food tastes great. Be aware- not only does it effect that person, but the rest of the family will need to compromise also. When she was first diagnosed with it, we were having Thanksgiving dinner at our house. I was selfishly pissed off that I couldn't stuff my turkey as gluten from the bread migrates into the meat. So I've had to adjust by making the stuffing outside the bird.-(its a petty thing- just an example so that you know when you sponsor meals you have to take it into account) But the change in her health was immediate and she's healthy again and I'm thankful for that.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

A Saucy Wench

Why would you avoid gluten if you don't have celiac? Confused
            I believe why was pretty adequately explained.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I believe why was pretty adequately explained.
              It was? I missed it too. Where, for real? It is not clear that the symptoms attributed to gluten are from gluten or from something else that comes along with gluten, such as carbs, etc. I cannot imagine a physiologic reason why or how gluten could cause them.

A Saucy Wench

I think we should take this to a different thread so as not to hijack this one. I have to get the kids to schoo, but I'll bbll. I moved it here .

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mlm

I'm THRILLED, Kerry, that your test results say you don't have celiac disease. Very good news, indeed! Yay!!!! Happy Dance!!
                    Another "Glad you don't have it" person here.

Soar like an eagle...

Very interesting to read about your grandmas diagnosis of celiac disease. What a pity it's so late in life, but hopefully the change in diet will still provide her with many years of feeling"truly " good. I stopped eating anything with gluten about a year and a half ago, as I was in such such miserable shape, that I could not go on any more. By miserable I mean: unable to run without stopping to catch my breath, extreme fatigue, falling asleep in the early eve. hours on the couch, bad moods, aching bones, especially while running and also feeling like having no strength. I had done push-ups for many years and was unable to do the same number of reps as before. Really, I should have been getting stronger, instead I felt weaker and weaker. Also feelings similar to restless leg syndrome at night, pain in between the shoulder blades during the day and while running, severe night blindness, I could go on and on. One big sign was diarrea, all the time, partially due to lactose intolerance which usually accompanies celiac. So, if your grandma suffers from that, she might want to watch the lactose intake, buy lactose free milk and also lactose enzymes. It will make a world of difference. I went off gluten in my desparation and within 3 days, I'm not kidding, I started to see a huge turn around. Don't know why I only started feeling so awful so relatively late in life, ( age 43), but I'm sure glad I found out. Unfortunately, I went off the gluten without a diagnosis first and a blood test did not reveal anything. would have to go back on gluten diet for a test and just bring myself to do it. If you have something with gluten accidentally and feel the effects, well that proofs it right there, so I was told by an Allergist. True. Anyways, tell your grandmother that I have successfully used all my regular German Christmas Cookie Recipes last year. Just used a gluten free flour mix. Also all cakes and other baked goods seem to tuen out fine. Got to go, but will be bakc, Heidi