Combine P90 X and running? biking? swimming? (Read 2141 times)

I have an inherent inability to createa a workout I can stick to.  I've done P90X successfully.  I've done a 24 week Pfitzinger plan successfully.  I am completely unable to combine P90X and cross training, however.

Is there anyone who has combined the two and is willing to cough up their secret?

Thanks for your help!

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I am planning to incorporate P90X workouts into my ultra training.  The workouts are great imo, esp. for someone without a weight lifting background.  And it works.

Two of the workouts/week in that plan are for cardio intensive and so I drop those in favor of running.  Kenpo and Plyometrics.  Yes, Plyo is still beneficial but am making choices here....

Three are weight/pullup intensive.  These are the ones I plan to incorporate.  Typically one of these if legs + upper body.  If I have to drop on it will be that.  Main thing I intend to do is ensure weekly that I have worked:  Chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, back.

Yoga/stretch is bonus and may try to work that in on weekend

Core - will do this quick workout 3x week.

I usually take 2 days off so my plan looks like this

Mon:  P90X + Core

Tue:  Quality Run (Speed/form/hills)

Wed:  Core + Recovery run 6-8m  (maybe P90X but main days are M & F)

Thu:  E Pace

Fri: P90X + Core

Sat:  Long run 1

Sun:  Long run 2 (Maybe Yoga or stretch X)

Hope that helps - let me know how you end up doing things as may influence me Smile

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)

Intentionally Blank

I am very interested in this.  I started p90x on Jan 1st, and my running has been kind of all over.  20 miles was my lowest week since starting, and 37.5 was my highest.  If I had it to do all over again, I would drop kenpo completely and add a speed day.  Right now I am running all of my miles easy.  I also don't feel like I get much out of Legs and Back except sore knees, so I might ditch that, too.

When we finish this, DH wants to keep doing some p90x workouts and take up running again for the first time in about 3 years.  But he wants two days off a week, and he doesn't want to double.  I don't see how it's possible to do justice to either p90x or running with 5 workouts a week, but we'll see.

I started P90X on Jan 4'th so I'm on week 9. Due to injury I was not doing any running and totally have been digging P90X. I just started running again this week and I find myself torn between the two. I can't seem to figure out how to make the two work without one completely subtracting from the other.

If I make running a priorty again I think I'll keep the P90X workouts that complement my running. Legs and back, core syngeristics, chest and back and Yoga. Personally I find all the isolated arm curling and tricept extentions useless if running is the goal. If I decide to keep P90X as my main workout I'll keep the program intact and just add 20-25 MPW as morning cardio and perhaps replace Kempo(which I don't care for anyway).

I bought the P90X plus DVD's which looks like an easier way to incorporate with runing. They have a whole body workout, a upper body DVD and a new core workout(to replace ab ripper). I haven't tried these yet but the full body looks like it would be perfect. If I go this route I think I'll do the full body once per week, the core plus or core syngeristics once per week, and the Yoga once per week. The rest will be 50-60 miles per week to prepare for a marathon. I'm just not sure if I'm up to running that much anymore. Plus I just dumped $400.00 on powerblocks.  P90X has has created a monster!!!

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?
          HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Plus I just dumped $400.00 on powerblocks.  P90X has has created a monster!!!

I got these as well.  They are awesome.

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)