Vegan runner needs tips (Read 226 times)

We don't eat too many beans in the Mediterranean, more rice, pasta and stuff similar to cous-cous.
    OK, we eat some but not as much as the Brits or even my fellow Dutch.

The "Chernobyl Effect" of beans is actually caused by the spicy stuff you US Americans and Mexicans use with them. I bet you never heard about English breakfast being gas-inducing. In the part of the Mediterranean I know (Spain, Italy, France, Morocco and partly Egypt) we only use very little spices and these are only garlic, bay leaf, paprika (sweet), parsley and to a lesser extent cumin and peppermint. OK, some recipes use other stuff like coriander and I know that in Morocco they use a hot red stuff (can't recall the name), but neither Italians nor French or Spaniards use it (oh, I forgot the Portuguese... but I have to confess that I have no idea what these guys eat).

Cumin is also a awesome to avoid the afore mentioned effect, just put a few grains into the cooking water of your beans and forget about the dog Wink

I am Mediterranean, 100 Bercent!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

running metalhead

Aw mate Wink

then you are maybe right and it's not the cumin but just that the organism of the northerners hasn't evolved correctly yet to digest proper food XD

BTW, I love Koshary

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
      - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
      - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
      - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
      - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
      - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Aw mate Wink

...BTW, I love Koshary

Me, too!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

GC100k

A couple of my kids are vegan, including my athlete son.  Peanut butter is the answer and nuts in general*.  Also plant-based protein powders.

*wait for it

xhristopher

When my son was younger he asked me what a vegetarian is. When I explained the look on his face was priceless. He couldn't understand why anyone would want to be one.

Of course I only encourage that sort of behavior.

lauraasmith

Thank you for all the tips. I will look up that book mentioned. I think there was an adjustment period when I felt I wasn't getting enough to fuel my running, but I think I was detoxing from all of the crap that is in food. I did see the Vegetarian forum but it wasn't very active.

L.Chang

It's very true. My Cuban black bean recipe only has a bit of salt, *some* cumin, and garlic (the occasional bay leaf)--sans gas : )

Village people

I remember a sort of adjustment period after I cut out dairy and eggs but that might have been more psychological than anything. I had no trouble maintaining 40-50 mpw. Lentils are my latest craze.