2 questions? (Read 776 times)

Okay so a friend of mine is a manager for a larger company and they are a major sponsor of a local half and 10K event. He has invited me to run with him on behalf of his company because no one else in the place besides him in the branch is a runner. The race is Monday. As you can see from my training log I have not been putting the miles in really to say I am really ready. I know I could run the distance but should I run it for time or just use it as a trainning run? The second thing is that I have noticed over the last week or so I have dropped my pace by about 20 seconds a mile. How do I go about keeping the increased speed while still adding miles with out aggravating any already sore knee?

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Myself, I would run it as a training run because you say you don't have the miles to be ready and you are running hurt. Twenty seconds really isn't a ton. I wouldn't worry too much about pace, especially since you are running on a sore knee. If you are focussing on increasing your miles, you want the pace to be comfortable and easy. Good luck!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I hope you mean you can handle the 10k, the half will be very tough if not impossible on your mileage. I don't see a big difference in your training times. Somedays you run 5:30's somedays you run 6:00. Somedays are just better than others. Are you running the Oakville half? There are at least 4 other RA'ers running it. MTA http://www.runningahead.com/groups/GTA/

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Yup it is the Oakville half but I am certainly not running the half. 20 seconds may not sound like a lot but for a guy like me it is a lot. Last year when I started I was happy to finish 2 miles running 10:30 miles.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

Run the race God set B4U

I'd say just run it for your friend and have fun! Be careful Smile
            5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
              Yup it is the Oakville half but I am certainly not running the half. 20 seconds may not sound like a lot but for a guy like me it is a lot. Last year when I started I was happy to finish 2 miles running 10:30 miles.
              Sorry if you misunderstood me, 20 seconds is alot but from what I saw in your training log you were not consistanttly 20 seconds faster. It was more like 5:40, 5:40, 5:30, 5:30, 5:50, 5:50, 5:40 5:30 , 5:50. When I see that I just think some days are better than others. I didn't pay too much attention to distances but that might have also been the cause of the discrepencies. Anyway join the gta group a nice bunch of people and they do sometimes meetup with each other at the races. No doubt you can do the 10k, you raced one in April, if I remember correctly. Don't try and run too fast now though, the race is only 4 days away. I'm just starting to rest up for it by running very low mileage Fri. not running Sat. and very easy 5k on Sun.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Basically, when you break them all down, there are 4 elements in training for distance running; you go long(er) but slow (your long run); you run fast(er) than necessary for running efficiency (intervals); you run medium duration (not quite the actual race distance) but hard enough (tempo runs); and recovery (jogging/easy days). Each has its purpose. Looking at your training log; you do a 6-mile race at 9:19 pace (4/27), tempo run of 4.9 miles at 9:05 pace (4/20), easy day of 3.5 miles at 9.06 pace (4/15)... At this point, I race at 6:45 pace, long run would be about 18 miles or so at 8:30 pace, tempo run would be 7. My easy days would be anywhere between 9~12 pace. In fact, the pace SHOULD be different from day to day. If you're trying to chase almost the same distance day in and day out at almost the same pace, there's something wrong with it. In regards to running the half marathon (am I too late for this one?), I'd say go for it and just run it with your friend and have fun. You're right; with your recent training, you're probably not in shape to do the half; but what the heck, perhaps it's a good chance to learn to go SLOW. It'll most likely hurt you afterwards; but you would benefit from it. And, with that, you should probably include some long runs of, say, 1:30 in duration but at easier pace--say, 11-minute-mile pace. As with pace, you should also have some fractuation in duration of the day-to-day runs; short easy runs should be about 30 minutes or even 20; long runs should be 1:30 to upward ot 2-hours.
                Purdey

Self anointed title

I believe that you have just received some free advice from an extremely well respected coach. This site rocks.