Elite Racing adds Chicago... (Read 761 times)

I've ran CMM twice, and they do a good job...any thoughts?
    Chicago Classic To Become Chicago Rock 'n' Roll Half PRESS RELEASE Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon Chicago Style Annual Distance Classic Becomes Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago Half Marathon Chicago, Ill. – October 10, 2008 – The Competitor Group, organizers of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon series, today announced the acquisition of the Chicago Distance Classic. With this acquisition, the Distance Classic becomes the Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago Half Marathon, now set for Sunday, August 9, 2009. “Adding Chicago to the Competitor Group’s family shows our dedication to growing the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon series,” said Scott Dickey, Chief Operating Officer of the Competitor Group. “With its rich musical history and passionate sports enthusiasts, Chicago is an ideal location to host a Rock ‘n’ Roll running event.” Acquired from John Bingham Racing, the event will feature live bands along every mile of the scenic half marathon course. Online registration officially opened today at www.rnrchicago.com <http:> , featuring a discounted entry fee when you register with coupon code WWTRN. “I couldn't be more pleased working with the Competitor Group to bring the Rock ‘n’ Roll series to Chicago,” said John "The Penguin" Bingham, a founder of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon in Virginia Beach and noted Runner’s World columnist. “Over the years I've seen how the Rock ‘n’ Roll brand has grown. I have no doubt that they will find the true potential of the Distance Classic and give it the professional touch and local flair they’ve been know to uphold at all of their events.” The Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago is now part of a national series of eight musically themed marathons and half marathons. The series, which originated in San Diego, now includes events in Seattle, San Antonio, Phoenix, Virginia Beach, San Jose and Nashville. The phenomenal number of participants and musical influence combine to make each Rock ‘n’ Roll event a one-of-a-kind experience for the whole family. Keeping with the rock ‘n’ roll theme, Chicago runners will be treated to a post-race concert after the event. All participants and volunteers receive free entry to the concert with their race number. Past acts at other Rock ‘n’ Roll series events include SEAL, INXS, Journey, Chris Isaak, Goo Goo Dolls and Hootie the Blowfish. The Rock ‘n’ Roll series revolutionized the industry when it combined entertainment with running. Live bands playing music at every mile along the course are interspersed with high school cheerleading squads providing motivation to the finish line. With charity partners raising over $200 million at the events to date, the Rock ‘n’ Roll series has become one the most successful charity fundraising events in the world. For more information on Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago or to register online, please visit www.rnrchicago.com <http:> . About The Competitor Group Competitor Group, Inc. (CGI), headquartered in San Diego, CA, is the leading media and event entertainment company dedicated to the endurance sports industry of running, cycling and triathlons. CGI is comprised of the following brands: Elite Racing, Triathlete Magazine, Competitor Publishing, Velo News and Inside Triathlon. CGI owns and operates 18 national events with more than 250,000 professional and amateur participants. CGI publishes four magazine titles with a combined monthly circulation of approximately 650,000. Further information about Competitor and its media properties can be found at www.competitor.com <http:> . About Elite Racing Elite Racing is a division of The Competitor Group, the leader in endurance sports media, marketing and event management. Its signature Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon series began in 1998 with the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon in San Diego. In addition to the Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago event, the company manages a total of eight marathons and half marathons including the original Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon in San Diego, the Country Music Marathon and ½ Marathon in Nashville, Tenn., the P.F. Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Arizona Marathon ½ Marathon, Rock ‘n’ Roll Seattle Marathon ½ Marathon, Rock ‘n’ Roll San Antonio Marathon ½ Marathon, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathons in Virginia Beach and San Jose, Calif., as well as the ING Philadelphia Distance Run. Each event features live music and cheerleaders along the course. Each event attracts between 13,000 and 35,000 participants. In addition, Elite Racing also produces the Carlsbad 5000. Known as the “world’s fastest 5k,” the Carlsbad 5000 is home to 16 world best times at the 3.1-mile distance and welcomes over 10,000 runners and walkers to the streets of Carlsbad, Calif. annually. For more information about Elite Racing’s events visit www.eliteracing.com </http:></http:></http:>
    xor

Isn't the CDC a race that had a mismarked course this year? I think it was. If so, there's a pattern. The new Seattle Rock N Roll Marathon replaces our not-that-loved Seafair Marathon... this year's edition of Seafair featured a widely publicized snafu where 100s of people got stuck on the shuttle, missed the start of the full, and got bused to the halfway point and summarily told "run a half from here" (which was totally different from the actual concurrent half marathon event). Not nearly as widely publicized is something else... many folks thought the course was mismarked too. Maybe that's Elite's strategy? Anyway, aloha CDC. Good luck, Penguin racing...

Hmm- Seattle just became RNR for 2009-am I wrong? I have done quite a few RNRs and always enjoyed them.Hope that's the case because I am signed up. Kathy
          Isn't the CDC a race that had a mismarked course this year? I think it was. If so, there's a pattern.
          Actually, the course was mis-certified. The certifier wrote a "south" went he mean a "north." The CDC simply laid out the course as listed on the (erroneous) certification. So technically it was the certifiers fault, not the races. Also, the CDC has been a Penguin property for a couple years now. Look like he is staying on, but brought in the R'n'R folks to rebrand and revitalize the race. I guess I'm cautiously optimistic that this is a good thing for the race.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

When during the year will this marathon run?
            xor

Hmm- Seattle just became RNR for 2009-am I wrong? I have done quite a few RNRs and always enjoyed them.Hope that's the case because I am signed up. Kathy
              Let's be clear: the November Seattle Marathon has not changed. Same as it ever was. The summer SEAFAIR MARATHON, which was held in some suburbs of Seattle is the one that had issues this year and is being replaced by the new rnr Seattle race in 2009. The course for rnr Seattle will be different from Seafair (and the November Seattle Marathon, for that matter).
              When during the year will this marathon run?
              Trent: what? The press release above is for a new rnr Chicago HALF to be held on 8/9/09. It replaces the Chicago Distance Half.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yah, I overlooked that. Silly me.
                JakeKnight

I've ran CMM twice, and they do a good job..
                  Define: "good job."

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Define: "good job."
                    Well, guess it goes any way, we can always find things wrong, but as for me in my limited experience, I've had no problems, and even my first time, they helped me out and explained a lot of info to me after I lost my chip (I'm a moron). Also, the expo is good stuff (but I have nothing else to compare it to.) I also worked downtown doing Valet at the Hilton and Union Station (HQ's) and met a lot of the staff, and they were cool people. Actually got one guy's card and he told me to call him next year and he'd see what he could do with the price for me. So, for me it was a good job. For you, it could be the biggest load of crap - I dunno. I guess my point is, they successfully have numerous marathons and 1/2's throughout the US that keep on growing - they apparently make more people happy than upset.