Brooks Cascadia vs Brooks Adrenaline ASR (Read 76 times)

Can any of you lady trail runners tell me what you think the main differences are between these two shoes?  I am currently wearing the adrenaline - in both road and trail.  When I switched, I had to go up half a size to get the larger toe box.  I switched to the Brooks from Inov-8 after suffering from tendinitis of the AT and couldn't run in such a low profile shoe.  But I loved the Inov-8 because of the roomie toe box.

Option are limited here re a quality running shoe store where I can walk in and try on running shoes.  We have a small one, but it never carries my size.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Well, I own both and prefer the Cascadia. I find them much more comfortable, maybe because the Adrenaline I bought at a big box store and didn't realize they were a stability shoe, and I don't need that.

But I wear a men's size 11 (long narrow foot), so I don't know how useful my experience is to you.

Thanks.  I appreciate the info.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

rlopez

The two main differences: 

Cascadia has no structure to deal with overpronation.  Adrenaline ASR (like the road Adrenaline) is a VERY structured stability shoe.

Cascadia has a rock plate.  Adrenaline ASR does not.

Adrenaline ASR is a road shoe with chunky tread and some scotchguard sprayed on (sort of). It works fine on plain ol' trail and it is way better if you have some road sections... IF you overpronate.  Cascadia is more of a traily trail shoe.  BTW, there is no consensus about whether you really want stability shoes while running technical trail.  I usually run roads in stability shoes.  Except for when I'm wearing big fat hokas (with no stability stuff).  I usually run trails... sometimes 50+ miles... in trail shoes w/o stability.  I have not spontaneously combusted nor gotten aches and pains I think might be due to this.  ymmv

(I HAVE however clobbered myself twice trying to run trails in Hokas.  Nope.)

The two main differences: 

Cascadia has no structure to deal with overpronation.  Adrenaline ASR (like the road Adrenaline) is a VERY structured stability shoe.....

Agreed, but the ASR has minimal (well, compared to beefier shoes) support in the forefoot. So someone like me who needs a bit of torsional control has trouble with ASRs (9 is the version I've got) while the neutral Saucony Xodus 3 has a robust enough forefoot that provides the touch of support I need. The ASR feels really weird to me - overcontrolling in the heel area and no support in the front. Might be why I've only gotten about 30-40 miles on them and haven't tried them for 1.5yrs.

I liked the original Cascadia, then they made the forefoot narrower. I've tried a couple versions since the original, but not for several years so not sure what they've got now.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Hmmm . . . . decisions, decisions.  I have an appt with my MAT person on Monday.  Hopefully I can get some direction from them as to what type of shoe to consider.

Thanks for all the input.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance