How to train on indoor bikes (Read 130 times)

ud32

I've been nursing an achilles tendon injury and likely only halfway healed.Lots of eccentric heal drops!! Been trying indoor cycling - stationary bike and spinning classes to keep cardio up. Actually starting to enjoy it! After years of running I'm confident in how to design a running program mixing easy days with intervals, tempos, long slow runs. Any guidance on designing an indoor cycling training program? Or any websites anyone suggests? I enjoyed running 4 days a week - have no idea if I should cycle more, less and duration.

Thanks

Joann Y

I have the same question. How to do it while working on plantar fasciitis and running minimally. Just plain easy on the spin bike doesn't seem like a good idea. I'm trying to get at least 7 hours a week of something endurance based.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have the same question. How to do it while working on plantar fasciitis and running minimally. Just plain easy on the spin bike doesn't seem like a good idea. I'm trying to get at least 7 hours a week of something endurance based.

Cycling could make PF worse, I'd think. At least it likely would for me. I have a tendency to pedal very plantar-flexed (after a long day on the saddle I often have calves that are more sore than my quads or hamstrings). Unless you can really concentrate on dorsiflexing, I'd think that you could make matters worse.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Half Crazy K 2.0

There are lots of free spin workouts in Youtube. I've tried some of the Les Mills Sprint ones, usually posted as assessment videos because I don't think the workouts are supposed to be made public. I just search for spin or indoor cycling workouts on there. Quality can be hit or miss. The one I did today wasn't great, music drowned out the instructor.

I also have a subscription to Cathe Live (Cathe Friedrich) that I use for strength training & spin workouts. I think you can get a free week.

For designing a program, maybe Bicycling Magazine or even look on tri sites?

flyrunnr

I ran through PF for two years, doing everything under the sun like sleeping in boots, icing feet, using frozen water bottle, lacrosse ball, self-massage, etc. Then some guy sold me some shoe inserts at the NYC marathon expo, and I put them in a new pair of running shoes, and put heel cups in my work shoes, and then I found myself running more miles than ever with no pain. It probably took about a month and before you know it, it was gone.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

ud32

For designing a program, maybe Bicycling Magazine or even look on tri sites?

Good idea, I'll check out those suggestions. I'm more interested in an overall program and not necessarily googling a spin workout of the day. Trying to figure out when to go slow and steady and when to do tempo or interval stuff on a bike. Thanks

I'm not an expert on what you should do, but I can tell you what I do.

I'm a tri guy, and do a lot of indoor spinning.  I've been on a trainer for 4 straight hours in bad weather in order to get a workout in while preparing for a race.

My setup is in my basement.  I had a Kinetic fluid trainer until recently that I spent countless hours on.  I've recently upgraded to a Wahoo Core smart trainer that changes my resistance based on road conditions as I ride a course online (via Zwift).

For my Kinetic trainer sessions, I would have a few different basic workouts that I enjoyed.

1. steady state / steady effort for 60 minutes while maintaining a fairly steady heart rate (HR @ about 137 - 142, which might equate to "marathon pace" type of feel.  Those were more endurance build type of training, where I can get lost in thought and "fall asleep" while training.

2. 10 minute builds.... warm up 10 minutes at relatively low HR.  Then 10 - 20 minutes at higher effort, 20 - 30 at higher effort (occasional stand up), 30 - 40 at higher effort (stand up), 40 - 50 at highest effort (stand up), 50 - 60 at recovery

3. shorter intervals... 10 minute warm up, 30 seconds sprint, 30 second recovery, repeat

4. YouTube Video rides w/ CTX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUKL8NMwA9Y

In all workouts (other than #1 above), I played it by feel and always listened to my body and either added or subtracted effort based on what I was trying to accomplish in the workout.

Consider Zwift, though, for a much more real feel for riding on the road.  It's like a video game, and it all feels like you're riding on the roads along with 100s of others.

Cheers,
                Brian

Good idea, I'll check out those suggestions. I'm more interested in an overall program and not necessarily googling a spin workout of the day. Trying to figure out when to go slow and steady and when to do tempo or interval stuff on a bike. Thanks

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I think cycling for active recovery would be great,

I have a schwinn aerdyne? but I think a bike would be great for those easy recovery days, especially when you're body can't take more pounding.

300m- 37 sec.

Seattle prattle

I ran through PF for two years, doing everything under the sun like sleeping in boots, icing feet, using frozen water bottle, lacrosse ball, self-massage, etc. Then some guy sold me some shoe inserts at the NYC marathon expo, and I put them in a new pair of running shoes, and put heel cups in my work shoes, and then I found myself running more miles than ever with no pain. It probably took about a month and before you know it, it was gone.

*OFF TOPIC*

Could you post a link or drop a name of the model/make of those inserts, or something similar? Not suffering from PF at the present, but i have before and will most likely be ridden with it again, so would like to keep that as an option, please.

Thanks in advance.

anna89

I regularly visit your website and find a lot of interesting information. Not only good articles, but also great comments. Thank you and hope your site grows stronger. mapquest driving directions