Why did I stop getting better? (Read 463 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Again, everyone gets that you've made a hypothesis and why you've made that hypothesis. It's an interesting one, and, frankly, I wouldn't be overly surprised if you found some good methods. That's still not science, it's just an inference. Other than that, you've told us that various people and groups have taken an interest in your hypothesis. None seem to actually use it, so we don't have any data at all. That's how science works.

Start with this story;

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/the-runners-of-20000bc/2005/12/21/1135032083655.html

Since you run in a parallel leg swing, and the photo of this 23,000 year old runner doesn't.

Since the garbage being barfed for a forefoot or midfoot landing as being "natural" is in direct contrast with the

full heel strike landing of runners faster than Usain Bolt, the difference is visually obvious.

Science is explaining the difference.

If you can't do it, then obviously you're no scientist...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

SJ,

Please help us out and actually contribute to logical discussions.  instead of throwing slings and insults as others put it, you obviously have a wealth of knowledge.  Your quick to point that out and we all get it.  As you call yourself a resarcher and scientist, it would be helpful for you to convey your actual learnings in a clear, concise way.  We get the masking tape exercise.  You've talked about it enough.  We get that by doing the exercise a level of efficiency can be gained.  Getting better in running requires a process where one continues to build strength and endurance as well as working on the biomechanics of the body.

For starters, please educate us by describing the six running techniques for us?  Many are here to further learn about running.  Please contribute to that in a constructive manner.  We're not all "barfologists" as you have put it before.  We're not experts in the subject matter but we all have a desire to learn and take what we learn in a practical sense to try and improve our hobby of running.

Specifics for you: There are six running techniques documented to exist in the human species. Kenyans are better distance runners than you are(born, raised, and trained in a shoe wearing culture), African pygmies are faster than you are, the aborigines are better sprinters than you are (yes even faster than Usain Bolt). And for agility skills, the Porters of Nepal far exceed their shoe wearing counterparts for cutting skills and protecting themselves from ACL tears.

And yet since no "expert" in running can duplicate such abilities, even though they're documented to exist, is why improving by 20% in reality is so easy to do.

That your ego is too fragile to try a different approach is your problem, not mine.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

What you call walking and running, is limited by how shoes are designed and built.

The question is why do you move?

Humans move with specific goals; maximum economy, speed, acceleration, agility, or load bearing.

Kenyans are good at economy, but they're lousy sprinters

Better speed is documented in African Pygmieshttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2007399

Better acceleration is documented by the aborigines

In fact they have 400% better eyesight than we do which is directly connected to speed ability, a connection no running coach will ever describehttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7457480

And of course load bearing is a skill documented by the Porters of Nepal. Their biomechanic skill is well documented to be superior to yours.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17015318

The proof you're a lousy athlete is easy to document...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

The proof you're a lousy athlete is easy to document...

The proof you're a lousy teacher is easy to document...

sport jester

Biomimeticist

The proof you're a lousy teacher is easy to document...

Oh Princess.

Science says that running consumes more energy than walking at identical speeds. Since 9MPH is how fast I walk, and you can't reproduce the same, math says I'm a better teacher than you could ever dream of being...

One cannot push an athlete in speed, hoping the body figures out how to be more efficient.

If you teach any athlete to be as efficient as possible, then improved speed is the natural byproduct.

Running 20% faster is easy; all I have to do is teach you to walk 20% faster.

It works for race horses, so please tell me why the same science can't apply to humans...

Not to mention I'm still waiting for you to link a reference proving you've taught anyone besides the figment of your imagination

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xhristopher

Oh Princess.

You've been calling us princesses for a while. I'd like to figure out who's who round here. Can someone help me map the princess to the RA user? Here's the list:

Snow White
                Cinderella
                Aurora
                Ariel
                Belle
                Jasmine
                Pocahontas
                Mulan
                Tina
                Rapunzel
                Merida

Leia

I'll get the party started. Here's a shot of me as the Princess of Persia, Tamina. I'm running in my race against time when the rogue prince Dastan, reluctantly teams up with me, to safeguard a magical dagger that gives its possessor the power to reverse time and rule the world.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Yes?

Obviously you don't remember: princess is my polite reference for maggot brained moron don't you.

So thank for confirming it.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

They are, and this troll has been at this since before runningahead existed.  The likelihood that you will be the first to finally find some logic at play is vanishingly small.  Smile

Thanks for the troll warning. I didn't realize I was talking with a pimply faced teenager trolling from his momma's basement for people to irritate. If he's a scientist, he's a bad one. Certainly, he is a scientist in his own mind.  Most of what he says is beyond stupid. He doesn't even know how to communicate. He certainly can't teach anything. If he could easily teach runners to easily get 20% faster he could write a best seller. In fact, please go away and work on that book. When you are published come back and tell us about it.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Ostrich runner

Start with this story;

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/the-runners-of-20000bc/2005/12/21/1135032083655.html

Since you run in a parallel leg swing, and the photo of this 23,000 year old runner doesn't.

Since the garbage being barfed for a forefoot or midfoot landing as being "natural" is in direct contrast with the

full heel strike landing of runners faster than Usain Bolt, the difference is visually obvious.

Science is explaining the difference.

If you can't do it, then obviously you're no scientist...

Yes, I've read that. It's a neat article. Science is more than just coming up with an idea of the difference, which is what you've done. It's an interesting idea. You've identified the question, formed a hypothesis and a prediction, but not done the meat of it. You need experimentation, analysis, interpretation. You need to do all that, make your data public, and have the process externally replicated. That's science. It's also something you should learn by the end of elementary school. You reference all kinds of points illustrating why you formed your hypothesis, but none of it goes past prediction.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Ostrich runner

Obviously you don't remember: princess is my polite reference for maggot brained moron don't you.

Is this the way you talked when you were a phone sex operator?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

The conclusion is what you can prove for yourself.

Is walking as the masking tape exercise teaches a more or less efficient way to run.

You can learn for yourself in less than ten minutes.

If you don't have the guts to try it, then I've proven you don't have the guts to learn how to run faster. That's the only conclusion relevant in this exchange.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks for the troll warning. I didn't realize I was talking with a pimply faced teenager trolling from his momma's basement for people to irritate. If he's a scientist, he's a bad one. Certainly, he is a scientist in his own mind.  Most of what he says is beyond stupid. He doesn't even know how to communicate. He certainly can't teach anything. If he could easily teach runners to easily get 20% faster he could write a best seller. In fact, please go away and work on that book. When you are published come back and tell us about it.

Teenager, no, but this article is who you are trying to talk to.

Robert is not really a troll, but a crackpot.  Score him by reading his threads and applying the crackpot index.  Recent posts referencing himself as being immune to peer review because he has no peers, and Seal Team Six, have upped his score.  He's not spouting BS to stir the pot, he really believes this stuff and lives in a different world constructed around being a victim of those trying to deny his genius.

I like how the American Physics Society has dealt with crackpots.  Hey Robert, maybe you should submit your work there...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

So, when you were a phone sex operator, did you always impersonate one woman or did you have a selection? At this point, I just hope you never start studying bonobos.

That's it.

I challenge you to a race walk in the department store of your choosing. You can come to NJ or I will come out to you in Ohio.

Stop hiding behind your books.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus