Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - when are you racing again? We need to see pictures of you seeing pink unicorns. Or crossing people's backyards during a race.

Or stopping because the train is passing.

Mark - Yeah, your watch is weird haha. Mine somehow is always very accurate on the track, maybe off by 1% which is the standard with GPS watches I think.
    You’ve just described my 10000 time trial earlier this year. Also you have a very good poker face.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

Some pics from the race...

1. Me getting passed by Hamish Carson (love the 'hey that dude is really fast' expression the photographer caught)

2. Pack photo about halfway through

3. Dying on the finish line (but not forgetting to stop watch)

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Nice one Mark. Looks like Carson is in spikes. I watched most of the video. That Tama Christensen is from Papamoa. Hes a physio.

Flavio last time I ran a 10000m time trial it came out at 10.2kms. That was with my old Soleus gps watch back in 2014. Sorry I have zero interest in racing.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Nice one mark! Great report too Smile

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

hahaha, look at those pictures, everybody seems to be literally dying, even the sub 30 minute guy and Mark looks slightly annoyed.

I'm glad though we finally have a picture of Mark looking like he's in the pain cave after the last sprint to the line.

love the photos Mark Great RR and an impressive effort!  Way to dig in for the last lap and get it done.

Congratulations!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

My week 65.1km 40.5 miles 5h15 running 2h15 strength

M: Strength

T: 12ez

W: am 10ez pm Strength

T: 6x800@10k w 400 jogs

F: strength

S: 10 ez

S 3x2500 @ M w 800 jogs

JamesD

JamesD

Keen, Mark - Congratulations to both of you!  Lots of great results recently.

Pacers - Never had the opportunity, and I think they could help me in the middle miles since I race better with others than alone.  The half I ran in March didn’t have them, and the pacers for the full that accompanies my goal half are too slow. An early-January half in town sometimes has a 1:30 pacer, so maybe I’ll try that one sometime if we get a winter heat wave.

Me- This was a short week, since I didn’t have a chance to run Friday or Saturday while DW & I took our son to look at universities out of state.  Did a good 4-mile tempo on Sunday a week ago, and the rest was just tapering for my goal half this coming Saturday. My left (usually less troublesome) hamstring/glute area has been sore for a while and seems to have been aggravated by the long drives.  My other concern is that it’s supposed to be very cold by local non-Kiwi/Minnesota standards, around 41/5 at race time with some wind. My internal thermostat seems to be about 10 degrees cooler than that of most people (which is great in the summer), so 41 feels to me like some of you talk about 32/0 feeling.  I guess it wouldn’t be a real taper without a couple of things to worry about, and most everything else in this cycle has gone pretty well. The plan is to run short & easy today & Tuesday, a few 200s Monday if the hamstring feels ok, and a half-mile at 5-10K pace Thursday.

Sun - 6.7 miles including 4.1 @ 6:39

Mon - 4.7 easy

Tues - off

Weds - 7.1 moderate, legs felt stronger

Thurs - 4.7 easy

Fri - off

Sat - off

Total - 23.2 miles

12-week average - 33 mpw 

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Congrats again to Mark and Keen!

Flavio Nice week I wish I had your discipline to get in some strength training during the week.  I have got to do better.

James Nice week and good luck in your race.

My week started off slow but was able to take advantage of having Thursday and Friday off of work and got in a longer than normal Thursday run as well as an extra run on Friday to end up with a total of 43.5 miles running and 13.0 miles riding

This was my highest mile week since the week of March 25th and first time over 40 in a week since week of April 1st

I'm starting to feel like I am doing well with the mileage but the test will be when the speed and tempo work starts.  Still holding off for another few weeks....

Mon   1.3

Tue    Rest

Wed   6.0

Thur   8.1

Fri   6.6 run  13.0 Ride

Sat  13.2 

Sun 8.3 

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

kimba

Nice race, Mark!  Love the pics.

Cfarr - why are you holding off on the speed and tempos?  Just curious, as I am adding them in right now, slowly, and sometimes I question whether or not I should.

I completed 32 miles this week, 5 days of running, with a long run of 9 miles -- slowly building back up!  I did one track work-out on the indoor track - the first since late 2017/early 2018.  Later that day my low back was achy, which is not a normal thing for me, and a few days later I noticed that my pubis symphysis was extremely tender to the touch (that's the bone right above your pubic area, where the two halves of the pelvis connect in the front).  I've never had soreness here - I'm thinking the tight turns on the indoor track torqued my pelvic girdle and led to inflammation in the joint.  I'm icing and taking advil to hopefully make it disappear.  Anyone here ever have osteitis pubis?

Anyway, this upcoming week I'm aiming for 34-35, and will do a tempo run in lieu of the track.  No need to have both in my week as I get back into form.  I'll probably aim for about 4 miles at 7-7:10 pace.

Happy Running everyone!

Kim

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Great work everyone, and great race and RR Mark.  Also good to see you got a Kardashian reference into your RR.

I had another solid week, brought my long run back down to 20km to try and freshen up a bit - a few runs this week felt like tough going but I have built up the mileage quite quickly without much behind it.  It's also been significantly warmer in the last week, which may come as a shock to Mark if he arrived in Christchurch last night after the cold change hit.

For the warmer days, I'm going to need to start planning how to get fluids - even when it's moderately warm, I get very dry and suffer a bit in the last 30 mins.  Tempted to throw in a tempo km or 2 this week but I'll see how I'm feeling.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Hi all-  Back in base building mode for me.

Mark- Nice PR.  As you were grinding it out at the end, how do you think your legs felt with protection of the Vaperfly's vs having spikes to really dig in.  I have a pair of splats that I use when i do rarely get on the track. Question being, do you feel like the extra padding of the Vaperfly helping legs energy vs having spikes to really grip and push the whole race?

Flavio- Those 2.5k intervals are pretty long.  How did the sustained Marathon pace feel?  That is the right type of work out as you look at the longer races.

James- Boy you were really clipping for the 4 miles no that Sunday run

Cfarr- make sure you take those easy days easy.  You'll see that as my mileage is moving back up and i'm adding workouts, my easy days moved form sub 7 min pace up to 7:30 or almost 7:40.  I really am doing them by feel and when I am feeling the pace on a recovery day I really slow down until I'm comfortable.

Kimba-  Yea I mostly stay off the track.  I ran my quarters on a normal running path and i find that the up and downs make my pace less consistent, but help my legs so avoid the pounding of landing exactly the same every step like on a track.

My Week-

Monday: 8.25n miles averaging 7:36 per mile recovering from the long Saturday and fast Sunday.

Tuesday: 3 Mile warm up, 10x440yds with 440yds recover @ 10k pace (1:28 per 440) (1:28, 1:31, 1:27, 1:30, 1:24, 1:27, 1:29, 1:25, 1:27, 1:25) Averaged 1:27, 3 mile cool down

Wednesday: I got out really late and it was cold and windy. 8.25 miles averaging 7:06

Thursday: 11.22 miles averaging 7:30 pace + striders at the end

Friday 8:26 miles averaging 7:16 pace

Saturday: Long Moderate pace run with the track team.  2 mile warm up, 12 miles at 6:45-6:55 pace on some rolling hills and actual trails, 2 mile cold down.... and .8 getting a little lost trying to get back to the host's house from the group run... 16.8 total average of 7:02

Sunday: 11.11 miles averaging 7:02.  Felt surprisingly good and pace varied between 6:55 and 7:05 so it was pretty darn even.

75.5 miles total...average temp while running 22 degrees F...w/ wind chill....13 degrees F

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - went for a short cruise around Hagley this morning in the cold and wet and I loved it.  Nice work building up that volume, I saw that long one Strava.  Sorry no time free for a catch up today!

Piwi - yeah the elite field wasn't as deep as they'd hoped for.  Pulford and Voss pulled out and Dan Jones was an injury scratch.  Carson was in spikes as were a few others but maybe half the field were wearing Vaporflies.

Flavio - nice week.  You've well and truly overtaken me when it comes to commitment to strength training (I'd be more like 60-90 mins a week now).

James - please don't get JMac level taper madness!! Good luck for race week.

Kimba - nice week but bummer on the niggle!! Sorry I can't offer any help on that one.

DPS - you're getting to Keen-like levels of volume and consistency here!!  I went with the VF's because I like running in them and because with Kerikeri Half coming up in 2 weeks, there was no way I was trashing my calves by doing 10,000m in spikes (they were bad enough after a 5,000 last year).  Real line call for a 5,000m race I'm planning on running in December though, I could go either way.  A large chunk of the elite race were wearing VF's, some were in spikes but would have been less than half.  Spikes would definitely have been more grippy, but I'm not sure they would've been a lot faster for me personally and I needed to protect my legs a bit for the goal race!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

This is good thinking Mark.  I was just curious as some of my college buddies are trying to talk me into going to the Alumni meet at our college to do an indoor 5k and been contemplating what i'd wear.

(Mark) I went with the VF's because I like running in them and because with Kerikeri Half coming up in 2 weeks, there was no way I was trashing my calves by doing 10,000m in spikes (they were bad enough after a 5,000 last year).  Real line call for a 5,000m race I'm planning on running in December though, I could go either way.  A large chunk of the elite race were wearing VF's, some were in spikes but would have been less than half.  Spikes would definitely have been more grippy, but I'm not sure they would've been a lot faster for me personally and I needed to protect my legs a bit for the goal race!

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

paul2432

Mark - Great race and race report.  Just awesome.

Re Dreams: I've had my share of running related dreams.  Often I'm off course going through a building.  I've  also had triathlon dreams where I've forgotten my bike.

Re Marathon Pacing:  Completely agree regarding the penalty for going too fast.  The tricky part is that you don't really know the correct pace so you could do everything right based on the shape you think you are in, but still blow up if you are off by as little as 2 minutes.  On the other hand if you don't go for it you leave some time on the table.  Unless you have a XX or bust type of goal, I think it is best to start a little slower than goal and make adjustments as you go.  Ideally, you just know what marathon pace feels like and run that pace.

Big cutback week for me due to feeling very sluggish.  I think the "take 60 hours rest" warnings i got from my watch a couple weeks ago caught up to me.

Monday - 4 easy TM

Tuesday - Rest (had planned to run after work, but felt like crap)

Wednesday - Ran home from work, 8.3 miles

Thursday - Bike to work, had planned to run in but felt too tired.

Friday - 1 mile easy.  N o energy so gave up after a mile.

Saturday - Rest, went for a walk.

Sunday - 7.2 miles trails.  Felt much better.

Not sure what's going on.  I had a couple weeks in the 60s but had done 70-80 routinely May-July preparing for AC 100.  Anyway, plan to take it easy and go be feel for weekly mileage.