What percentage of your runs... (Read 1098 times)

What is this "pleasant" and "enjoyable" running of which you speak ?! Never happens. I listened to my body, and it said to sit on the couch and have a beer, it never told me to go run and feel "pleasant". I'm just saying...its work, hard work.
    Also I think I am not being understood quite corectly. I am not really at all talking about pace. I am just talking about if your runs feel good to you or they feel uncomfortable. On good days even a very brisk pace can be pleasant, on a bad day even a slow slog can be very challenging. Also I wounder how many here always enjoy running? Many runners don't enjoy it at all till they are done. They force them selfs to do it for what ever reason but never actually like it.
    Nope. I really like it. While I'm doing it, afterwards, beforehand.... Sometimes that first step out the door is tough, but that's always the hardest one.
    Mr R

Like everything else, it all depends on the runner. For me, the answer depends largely on what phase of the year I'm in. When returning to high mileage, or building to a new high, my runs are mostly not enjoyable. I wouldn't say that they're painful, because I mostly keep the pace under control, but I'm just tired all the time, and there's no spring in my legs. After about 3 weeks, this goes away, and I'm able to push the pace on almost every run, almost always getting at least the last couple miles in at tempo pace. As I start to enter my prep phase, I'm no longer able to push the pace so much, because I have to recover from difficult workouts. This is the time of year when specific muscle soreness is more of an issue. It's not the full-body fatigue of high mileage, it's the trashed calves from running repeats in spikes the night before. During this phase of the year, my only really enjoyable runs are my workouts, because I'm usually recovered just in time for them. I also, strangely, tend to feel fantastic when I run in the afternoon after a morning race. During the end of my competitive phase, I usually feel great, because I'm at 40-60% of my peak volume, with less demanding, albeit faster, workouts.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Let's see - I run 3 days a week (thats all my schedule will really allow for right now). And without fail, only 1 of them is enjoyable in your sense of terms. The other 2 usually feel more labored, or my legs just don't wanna work, or I feel like an elephant tromping around the woods. Its been that way consistently since I came back from an inury about 4 weeks ago. so thats about 66% of my runs being crappy, right?
          All of my runs are pleasant and enjoyable. Some are slower than others but all are done at a nice easy pace. Tom
          Yeah, what Tom said! Big grin
          Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

jules2

I enjoy running the only time I don't is if I'm carrying an injury. To me the word pleasant applies if its a really nice day or something funny happens. I run to train for whatever goal I'm heading towards at the time ( currently a PB half ) so the concept of heading out for say a slow run where I'm not pushing myself is not something I've ever done.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

obiebyke

GravelRd, I have to say my feelings are closest to yours. Even when I go slowly (talk test, etc), it's a challenge, mentally and physically. I'm finally to the point where bits of each run will feel like I've found a rhythm, but not for long. I feel GREAT afterwards--proud and happy I did it. I get the sense that runs will get more pleasant the more I do it, so I just get out there and try to have confidence that the enjoyment will grow.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

AroundTheHorn

Today was not very pleasant at all. The heat was unbearable. With that said, I think they're are different degrees of unpleasant views. For instance, sometimes getting yourself up for the run is half the battle. I'll tell you one thign though, after every run I feel 100 times better than I felt before.
                Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.