A1C high again.... dang it!!! (Read 89 times)

Friends,

So, I've slowly weaned myself off of this forum in order to do a 'soft retirement' from racing (for 2014).

I've been selfish from 2009 through 2013 and raced for myself without balancing life appropriately.

I did a marathon in mid December, and after that, I've been training whenever I want to, but not every day (maybe 3x/week).

Last week, I went for my physical with fasting blood draw.

Yesterday, the doctor called me and invited me into his office for a visit regarding my diabetes.  He's going to re-educate me regarding something I haven't had to deal with for the past 12 years.

Dang it!  That sucks.

I'm bummed.

This morning, I woke up ready to train for a big race again.

Looking for 2014 races that'll get me back in the groove.

I have a 4 man Ragnar trail relay in October that'll add some 30+ miles to my running log in 24 hours.  Otherwise, my calendar is empty.

FWIW, type II.  I'm 41 years old, 172 pounds, 6' tall, and doctors don't know why my pancreas can't handle my small frame.

I'm back.  I hope you didn't think I was gone forever.

Cheers,
    Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

#artbydmcbride

Welcome back!

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Welcome back, and sorry about the bad news.

Do you have to have a big race to train for in order to get in the level of activity you need to keep your A1C under control?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Do you have to have a big race to train for in order to get in the level of activity you need to keep your A1C under control?

No, I don't think I need a big race.

In fact, I ran for 8 or 9 years as an adult post diabetes diagnosis before ever running a race

My goal for 2014 was to get back into that same type of groove and do 365 hours of activity without having a goal race, a speed goal, a miles run goal, or any other type of goal.

But, a flu bug in mid-February changed my plans.  I took 10 days off straight (necessary, under the circumstances), and haven't gotten back into the swing of things.  So, basically, I took a month or 6 weeks off of any type of training.

I don't know what I need to do.  I'm sure I need to change my diet (count carbs) and I need to increase my activity.  With all of my activity over the past couple of years, I could basically eat what I wanted without too much worry about a bad blood test.  But that might be catching up to me when I decrease my volume.

I don't want to take any medications!  Been there, done that.

I've let my wife know that I'll need to get motivation back (possibly races).  She's ok with it.  She had her own medical challenges these past few months with her RA, and understands how disappointed I am regarding this bad blood I got.  Smile.

(A couple of months ago, I signed up to volunteer at Ironman Boulder for later this summer so that I can register for Ironman Boulder 2015 when I'm there).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Over two years ago, my mom said she had to stop eating sugary things because it was poison to her system. She, like you, is type 2. I decided I would join her in giving up concentrated sugar items. That has helped her A1C a lot. I don't have diabetes, but I'm glad that I am no longer eating candy, cakes, etc. I really have no desire to ever eat them again.

Welcome back!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!