Race for the Roses Half Marathon (Read 548 times)

A Saucy Wench

I approached this HM as a "where am I" rather than a goal race. My training in March was a bit streaky to say the least. My McMillan predictor for a HM was 1:50:58, so I decided to try and stay with the 1:50 pace team and if I fell off at the end, so be it. The course was definitely hillier than I expected, nothing steep, but certainly not flat. Weather was perfect. Low 40's and misty. Mile 1 8:25 - caught up the pace team just as I got to the mile mark. I was maybe 5-10 seconds behind them so I decided to hang out there for awhile. It was too crowded right with them. Mile 2 - 8:10 - a wee bit fast Mile 3 - 8:24 dead on (11 seconds ahead overall) Mile 4 - 8:35 all uphill not too bad Mile 5 - 8:01 downhill Mile 6 - 7:49 - Shockedsomewhere in this mile I pass the pace team. We are in one of the few flat stretches. My strategy has become to try and hold the goal pace in uphill and headwind sections and bank time on downhills. I know there is a big hill at the end, not sure how much uphill is still to come Mile 7 - 8:03 rolling Mile 8 - 8:18 rolling Mile 9 - 7:52 - felt like I was slowing down so I sped up Mile 10 - 8:22 with a head wind (about 1:50 ahead at this point) Mile 11 - 8:18 Mile 12 - 8:19 - more than 2 minutes ahead at this point...decide to go for 1:48 Holy crap that bridge is HUGE and I have to go up that NOW? shit Climb the bridge. I tell myself I only have to keep running for 3 more minutes (to hit 1:48) and pray I am right because keep this pace on the bridge is killer. Crest the bridge and know I better see that 13 mile marker soon Mile 13- 8:16 & 0.1@ 0.44 Overall - 1:47:45 watch time and chiptime Holy shit. Damn...now I have to aim for 1:45 Tongue

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Another Passion

Great job, Ennay! That's one awesome race there speedy! Congratulations and good luck with the 1:45:00 on your next attempt. Wink Well done! Big grin

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

The Greatest of All Time

Looks like a great race!!! Awesome job.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Great job. I'm impressed with your strategy.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Good race, great time!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

CONGRATULATIONS again Ennay!! Big grin
                Whoaaa Enay, You sure did knock the crap out of that McMillan prediction. Most runners don't do that when they step up in distance. I think it's interesting that it came during a period that your mileage has been trending up rather than after resting. A nice long one the week before too, and another the week before that. Something to make note of... I know people will always tell you to rest up and cut back, but it makes you wonder, heh? It's usually been that way for me too--best races often come during peak mileage rather than following a cutback. Anyway, very nice race. Congratulations!
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                  congrats! loved the report and WTG on the new PR! Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

A Saucy Wench

Whoaaa Enay, You sure did knock the crap out of that McMillan prediction. Most runners don't do that when they step up in distance. I think it's interesting that it came during a period that your mileage has been trending up rather than after resting. A nice long one the week before too, and another the week before that. Something to make note of... I know people will always tell you to rest up and cut back, but it makes you wonder, heh? It's usually been that way for me too--best races often come during peak mileage rather than following a cutback. Anyway, very nice race. Congratulations!
                    Funny you mention that...I was just going to ask....historically my pace curve is much FLATTER than the McMillan, I usually am faster at the longer distances than predicted by short races, or slower on the short stuff...whichever Tongue I used to say I had just one pace. Last year things started falling more in line. Not sure what it means when you have a flat pace curve. Probably that I dont push hard enough on the shorter stuff. I dont do much speedwork at all. I've noticed that about following a hard week...last year my HM PR came the week after hood to coast relay, and my 5K PR came the day after a 15 miler. Makes me afraid to taper.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ringmaster

Thanks for the race report, Ennay. Congrats on a great race! Look at you: it's April and two of your year's goals are met! Way to go! K

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

Way to go Ennay! Way to HTFU and blast your way to an awesome PR!

Jeanne

Great job Ennay!!! Congrats on a speedy race!!
                            Congratulations - that's an awesome time! I ran Race for the Roses too this year and thought it was a wonderful race - but you're not kidding about that bridge at the end, it's a killer!
                            "A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." - G. K. Chesterton