injurey- need your help (Read 97 times)

dle

Hi,

I am 43 years old, usually healthy. Asking you for advice regarding a problem I have.

I used to engage in physical activity: gym and running, until this event occurred. Two years ago, I went out running when suddenly I felt pain, a burning sensation in my gastrocnemius muscle (right foot) which brought me to immediately stop the run. I limped for a day or two, until I could walk again. The pain in the leg is not over until today. I feel as if there is something “sitting” there, a sense of “electric shock power” pain, burning and whatnot. I tried several therapies such as physiotherapy, osteopathy, acupuncture, analgesics, but still to no avail.

I tried to start running again a few months later, but after a few sessions, again, stopped in mid-run and limped. It seems that as long as this sensation does not end – It is a gamble if it will reoccur during my next run.

From this point onwards, the situation is gradually getting worse, a sensation of burn and electric blitzes in my  hamstring, a sensation of numbing in my toes, left hand anesthesia, pain and discomfort in the wrist.

A biopsy test revealed a decreased ability innervation (neuropathy), but doctors do not know if that explains it all. EMG test diagnosed a decline in the ability to raise gastrocnemius and tibialis muscle. I took a number of neuropathy pills (like Cymbalta and Lyrica), but they did not help.

Doctors have not determined what it is I suffer from, some think it is neuropathy, part fibromyalgia, but there is no clear nor definite diagnosis. Also they do not know how to say what exactly occurred to my gastrocnemius muscle in the right foot.

I am interested to hear if anyone has suffered from something similar or heard of this kind of medical state, if someone could help me set (and perhaps solve) this problem I hope to start running again.

Thank you.

Joann Y

This sounds like something for your doctor. And also, the gastrocnemius muscle is not in the foot.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

This sounds like something for your doctor. And also, the gastrocnemius muscle is not in the foot.

Foot-in-mouth disease?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

dle

Stadjak,

I don't think it's foot in mouth disease that last for no more than a week.

In my case it's seems like a chronic disease.

My major concern is the gastrocnemius but I suffer from pain in my wrist, elbow, and shoulders.

Thanks!

dle

Joann,

I met many doctors but none of them could help me. They couldn't even state what's my diagnosis.

I'm trying to use the wisdom of crouds.

Thanks

Daydreamer1

Yea, the gastrocnemius is not in the foot. If I remember right from my last anatomy class, it, along with the Soleus make up what we call the calf muscle.

Now on to the part about "This sounds like something for your doctor" .  I just scanned the post and saw things such as prescriptions for drugs like Lyrica and Cymbalta, tests including biopsies and a EMG, discussions about neuropathy and fibromyalgia.  Hmmmmmm.................sounds to me like he/she has been consulting with doctors and they have failed.  Hate to get grumpy over this but it does seem like a lot of times someone wants to discuss a  injury or medical condition someone wants to trot out the old " you need to consult only your doctor".   News flash. Doctors miss things all the time, that's just the way it is. No harm is asking around, it might put them on the path to a cure.

dle - When I went back a read the entire post at a regular pace, I see that you also have discomfort in your arm. Did anyone bother to test you for Lyme disease?

Joann Y

Now on to the part about "This sounds like something for your doctor" .  I just scanned the post and saw things such as prescriptions for drugs like Lyrica and Cymbalta, tests including biopsies and a EMG, discussions about neuropathy and fibromyalgia.  Hmmmmmm.................sounds to me like he/she has been consulting with doctors and they have failed.  Hate to get grumpy over this but it does seem like a lot of times someone wants to discuss a  injury or medical condition someone wants to trot out the old " you need to consult only your doctor".   News flash. Doctors miss things all the time, that's just the way it is. No harm is asking around, it might put them on the path to a cure.

Right. Doctors miss stuff all the time. Not all doctors are smart. I get it. But it can be a dangerous game to play, crowdsourcing the diagnosis of what sounds like a potentially serious illness. If it were me, and my family member, yeah, I might suggest a possibility or two but if it's as complicated as it sounds with any number of possibilities ranging from musculoskeletal to autoimmune to infectious to neoplastic to idiopathic to psychiatric, I think it's best left to the professionals. I might suggest a university hospital for another opinion.

running metalhead

Right. Doctors miss stuff all the time. Not all doctors are smart. 

Right, One diagnosed me with Bubonic Plague once... I have had many more of such bad experiences, Doctors in Philosophy are the worst, closely followed by Doctors in Linguistics.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                  - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                  - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                  - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                  - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                  - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

dle,  Did the doctors scan anything (e.e. foot, calf, spine) with an MRI or do an X-ray?  That might be the next course of action to determine or rule out some sort of abnormal growth that could be involved in irritation of the nerves.  Might also be originating from the spine since the discomfort is all along the left side of the body.  Have you checked your nutrition?  B-12 deficiency can cause some weird neurological problems.  Not likely that this would cause a one-sided problem like yours, though.    Hope you find answers.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

dle

Daydreamer1,

Yes, I took mant tests in the past including lyme disease.

Joann- I met 3 hospital profesors (rheumatology and neurology).

runsinskirts - EMG for the upper and lower limbs: decrease muscle recruitment- tibialis and gastrocnemius. X ray was fine. QST - shows sensitivity to cold and hot. MRI for the lumbar spine- fine. ultrasound for the cavs- fine.

I've tried b12 as well although my diet is pretty balanced- no help.

Thanks again!

dle,

I feel for you.  My family struggled with a lot of un-diagnosed medical conditions that nobody has seen before or heard about.

It's frustrating.
                        For those that don't have that experience and always get their medical question answered by xray, MRI, scan, etc, they have no understanding how frustrating it is to navigate without the answer while having the desire to have an answer.

Keep asking questions.

Keep searching.

Don't be discouraged.

I was able to find the answer through the internet (something like "wrongdiagnosis.com"), and it took me 10 years to get the answer.  Through symptom research and reading medical publications, we found the needle in the haystack that led to the answer.  In our case, it was an EXTREMELY rare gene mutation that caused odd symptoms and misdiagnosis.

Happy searching!
                        Cheers,
                        Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

dle

Brian,

You're so wright ! some doctors think that I'm hallucinating.

Hope I'll solve that problem in less than a decade.

I'll try the wrongdiagnosis.com

Meanwhile I'll ad that this happend to me during swimming breaststroke style also: during the leg push I felt it strongly burning like hell. It's seems like the problem is in doing planter flexion. The funny thing about it is that I've started swimming after doctor recommendation.

And......you've probably noticed that english is not my mother tongue so excuse me :-)