Flying Pig Marathon 2012 (Read 1111 times)

So anyone crazy enough to be running this?

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
    • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
    • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
    L Train

It sure would be a shame for the RD if no one showed. 

Yeah that would seriously mess things up.  You should come down from the North East and give it a chance.

• Sub 22  5K
        L Train

Uh, no.  If I'm ever running in Cincy it's because Yancey Gates is chasing me. 

A bunch of us from the LLR (women's forum here on RA) are running it.  We have a few in the full and more in the half.

Kmays (my daughter) and I are running the full.  It will be her first marathon.  I trained so I can run with her.  We are shooting for a non-death march finish with around 4:35-4:45.  If it's a perfect day, perhaps closer to 4:30.  4:30 would be BQ for me, but I am not looking for that.

A few other good Nashville women are going for the half.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Lazy idiot

I was going to be there, but I opted to sleep in my own bed and run the Cap City Half the day before.

Tick tock

xor

So anyone crazy enough to be running this?

What about The Pig makes it crazy-worthy?

Its a fun race. But I will be running in .9 mile circles in Cleveland from Saturday morning through Sunday morning that day.

What about The Pig makes it crazy-worthy?

That damned reputation for it being hilly, of course :P But for people like me who train on stupid amounts of hills it's my kind of race I'd think. I did the half last year and that long climb for 2.5 miles or whatever was nowhere near as bad as I thought it'd be all thanks to the crowd that gathers along it.  Wish I did the full but I had the flu a few weeks prior and was still pretty loopy and had to drop downDead

MTA: From the people I know who have done it and train around here it's actually quite nice and the reputation for being hilly did nothing but make them worry, and when they were in the final stretch and it was mostly downhill after mile 11 or so they thought it was cool beans.

xor

It is a fun race. I've run it 3 times.  Fun, yes.  Hilly, eh... one good one.

Slice

I'm doing the full (my first). Somehow I was under the impression that it wasn't hilly when I signed up.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

xor

There is one significant hill in the pig.  The deal is, it is about 3 miles long.  After that, it isn't so bad... HOWEVER, this elevation chart kind of glosses over a bunch of lil "ups" during what seems to be a looooooong downhill in the second half.  It's actually kind of roly poly.

Click me for an elevation chart of The Full Pig.

Agree with srlopez. The first time I ran the Pig, I was fairly well prepared (for me) and I got through the first part with no problems, and thought I was through all the hills. Miles 15-16 are a great part of the course..Nice neighborhood and great crowd. Right after that, I believe, was the hill that took the wind out of my sails. Went from the high of that crowd to seeing that hill. And then immediately following that was the stretch of highway with no shade, and it was very warm that day. If you make it past the highway section feeling good, you should be in good shape though.

Lots of good info on the race on here. 

I will add a little.  A friend of mine wrote this about the course.  It is the top 10 danger zones for the flying pig:

http://runningtimes.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-10441.html&s=5e751870faff72d4175f402f72ceafcd

L Train - Yancy would only chase you if you were on the basketball court yelling horrible names at his teammates and his mother who was close to the court.   All the while acting like a thug and being proud of it.  You don't strike me the type to do such a thing.

• Sub 22  5K

A bunch of us from the LLR (women's forum here on RA) are running it.  We have a few in the full and more in the half.

Kmays (my daughter) and I are running the full.  It will be her first marathon.  I trained so I can run with her.  We are shooting for a non-death march finish with around 4:35-4:45.  If it's a perfect day, perhaps closer to 4:30.  4:30 would be BQ for me, but I am not looking for that.

A few other good Nashville women are going for the half.

That sounds like a great bonding experience with your daughter.  That is really cool  Hopefully we get good weather.  Kind of hit and miss right now. 

• Sub 22  5K