How many lumens do I need for night trail running? (Read 293 times)

graham090

I am not quite sure about it.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I don't know 10 lumens from 10,000 lumens, but I prefer red light so it doesn't kill my peripheral vision.

LB2

I like one with around 150 or more, but I think using a headlamp and a handheld really helps your depth perception. However, I normally run with just a headlamp. I have BD Storm, pretty old model, but I bought some other BD on sale at the start of the summer. It is super light and bright enough that I don't have any problem running a long race with it. I think over the years I have gotten accustomed enough to running with just a headlamp that depth perception isn't as big of a deal as it used to be. I run a lot in the dark, though. That new light seems to suck the batteries down a little faster than the old BD Storm. I have run all night long a few times with the old one. I'll have it in a drop bag on my next long race, too.

LB2

Coastal

Consider two lights, a headlamp and a belly light.  A wider beam works well for the belly light.  You can put a headlamp around your waist if it is big enough (the light's strap, I mean) or attach it to a belt.  I put mine on an old amphipod zinglet. Keep it aimed down and forward.  That way your feet and the trail are always illuminated so you can always see what your feet are getting into.  A headlamp allows you to look around and the belly light means you can use your peripheral vision.  Picked up this tip on a trail forum somewhere and have been using it ever since.  As far as brightness, the brighter the better.  Well, there is probably a break even point but I have never found it.

paul2432

There is more to a light than the lumens spec.  A high lumen  light with a lousy beam pattern will be less useful than a lower lumen light with a good beam pattern.  Some lights focus all the light onto a small hot spot while others send half the light into the sky.

It's not cheap, but I like the Petzl Nao+.  Good beam pattern, plenty of lumens, and decent battery life.

chele519

There is more to a light than the lumens spec.  A high lumen  light with a lousy beam pattern will be less useful than a lower lumen light with a good beam pattern.  Some lights focus all the light onto a small hot spot while others send half the light into the sky.

It's not cheap, but I like the Petzl Nao+.  Good beam pattern, plenty of lumens, and decent battery life.

I use the Nao as well and love that it is adjustable. I got the optional cord to carry the battery on my waist. I have the 2nd version and think it is 575 lumens.

I recently learned that the "red light preserves night vision" thing is actually not correct. It turns out that it's the light intensity that kills night vision.

I've been a user of red light at night for decades and swore by, with hands-on experience comparing white light with red. The red LED lights that I would use were of lower intensity; the blue end of the spectrum is higher intensity.

So, even if you're using red light but it's really bright, you will affect your night vision.

OK, back to the subject at hand: for trail running you don't want to trip on stuff, so you want it fairly bright, 150 lumens or better.

Also, position of the light matters a lot, too. Most people wear the headlamps on their head, which makes a certain amount of sense, but since the light is originating from near your eyes, there will be few if any shadows, and thus depth perception and the ability to determine protruding objects (rocks, roots) while moving will be reduced. For hiking at night, I affix the light to a hiking pole about a foot off the ground. This puts protrusions on the ground in high contrast and highly visible. I haven't tried it, but for running having a light affixed to a belt or waistband seems like a good idea. Your center of gravity, a couple inches below your belly button, doesn't move as much as your legs or upper body. Having a FLOOD light there in conjunction with a spotlight on your head would be optimum.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

chele519

I just ordered the Ultraspire waist strap light. They have a 220 lumen and a 600 version. I ordered the prior model with 170 lumens. I think in combination with the Nao it will work really well.

Coastal

I just ordered the Ultraspire waist strap light. They have a 220 lumen and a 600 version. I ordered the prior model with 170 lumens. I think in combination with the Nao it will work really well.

With those two lights any one you meet will need sunglasses!  Just kidding.  Sounds like a great combo.  Let us know how it works.

berylrunner

Rick

As much as you can afford.

other considerations.

More lumens usually equals less burn time.

Advertised burn time is always exaggerated.  Get into cold conditions and you won't have much battery time.

Consider rechargeable.  Could have bought a few race entries with my battery expense.

Two light sources, good tip.  I run with one in my hand and have a back up.

A friend has the Ultraspire 600.  Wow, that is a lot of light and it seems like he ran most of the night without switching out battery (one rechargeable).  I am saving up for that light.

In the meantime I can get by with about 150 to 200 lumens.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

chele519

Ha ha. I also have the Tracer 360 and usually wear a clip on flashing light in front and back. No one is going to be able to say they didn't see me. The first Ultraspire was defective so waiting on replacement.

With those two lights any one you meet will need sunglasses!  Just kidding.  Sounds like a great combo.  Let us know how it works.

strambo

Lumens can be thought of like volume or flow.  If light were water, lumens would be gallons per minute.

Like a hose, beam pattern has a huge effect on the nature of the light.  Turn a hose on a set GPM rate and put the nozzle on stream, shoots super far, but same amount of water.  On spray, wide pattern, short throw but same amount of water.  Mist, cloud of water, no throw, same amount.

Lights are the same, a 75w bulb may throw out 800 lumens, but it isn't too bright to look at because it is a 360deg. pattern.  A 300 lumen spot light could be blinding.  Less light flow, but tightly focused.

Cyberic

Lumens can be thought of like volume or flow.  If light were water, lumens would be gallons per minute.

Like a hose, beam pattern has a huge effect on the nature of the light.  Turn a hose on a set GPM rate and put the nozzle on stream, shoots super far, but same amount of water.  On spray, wide pattern, short throw but same amount of water.  Mist, cloud of water, no throw, same amount.

Lights are the same, a 75w bulb may throw out 800 lumens, but it isn't too bright to look at because it is a 360deg. pattern.  A 300 lumen spot light could be blinding.  Less light flow, but tightly focused.

Great explanation. Thanks.