Two workouts a day, when to do them (Read 1006 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'm curious if anyone has an "informed" opinion about how to space double workout days out.

For instance, I ran before work (4 miles) this morning and then at lunch (6 miles).  Both runs were on a treadmill with 2% incline at a good minute or more slower than marathon pace (easy run).  There was probably a 3 hour gap between runs.

Initially, I debated whether I should do the second run after work, but decided I'd rather be lazy after work and watch a movie. 

Any thought if there'd be a physical benefit to having done the second one after work, so there'd be more "healing" time in between?  Or, does the difference of 3 hours to maybe 7 hours really make a difference?

I'm moving from continuous marathon training (1 workout a day) to Ironman training, (2 or sometimes 3 workouts a day, ug) until July.  On the bright side... more miles = more cookies and ice cream. And pizza.

Overall, my schedule will dictate when I can squeeze the workouts in but on days like today where I have no evening plans, I'd like to maximize the burn, if there is a difference.  Wink 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Why is it sideways?

Generally, the idea is to have 6 or so hours between doubles. I'm not sure I could supply the reasoning behind this. I don't think you are going to see a huge difference one way or the other, unless your second run was a hard workout.

I'd shoot for maximizing recovery rather than maximizing burn, as a general "increase mileage" philosophy.

The "informed" qualifier technically rules me out, but I'll reply anyway. Last 8 weeks I've been doing exactly what you did, 4 or so at 7:30AM , then workout at lunch (11:45ish). I generally do these on Tues and Thurs, specifically "workout" days (either hills or tempo) - mostly so that I can go into the workout "warm", without having to burn much time warming up...basically hit the ground running in the workout. I can't tell you if there's any real benefit, but I feel like I'm getting much more out of the lunch workout.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        JimR

Same here.  3-5 in the morning (~7AM), then 5-6+ at noon.  Morning is always easy.

This topic was discussed recently on TheRunZone.com. I don't want to act like it's my information or I'm the expert so I'll just point you to the thread:

http://www.therunzone.com/index.php?topic=2414.msg13553#msg13553

There are other threads too related to this topic that you can find by searing, but they take different tangents. 

TripleBock

For me it makes more sense to do the easy - recovery type workout 1st (morning or noon) and the bigger main workout of the day last ... By makes more sense - I mean from experience the workouts seem to go better.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

I see the 12:49:23 in your profile picture, so I'm guessing that you've had training experience doing doubles before....

I'm curious how this thread will develop, but a quick question regarding your use of the word "double".

Since you're training for an upcoming Ironman, I'm guessing that by "double" you mean any combination of swim - bike - run.  Or, do you mean a true running "double"?

I'm not "informed" enough to describe the benefit, but I will say that I try to do a 5:00am workout, and then an 11:30am workout every day.  For me, I find it easier than doing a 5:00am and then 6:00pm workout.  Following the evening workout, I struggle to get up the following morning when the alarm sounds at 4:10am.  I typically do a bike / run, bike / swim, or swim / run combination.  On occasion, I'll do a run / run combination, but that's only 1 or 2 days a month.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

xor

I think the timing and understanding "the difference" kind of comes down to what workouts you are splitting up.  And what else you are doing that day.

Me, thinking at that level just makes my head hurt.  I split workouts to optimize what I need to get done today while also getting in the planned work.  And I know that for me, I always have to put the lower priority piece into the later workout... because that's the workout that Real Life is likely to biff.  Whatever "quality stuff" needs to get done, that needs to get done first.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I see the 12:49:23 in your profile picture, so I'm guessing that you've had training experience doing doubles before....

I'm curious how this thread will develop, but a quick question regarding your use of the word "double".

Since you're training for an upcoming Ironman, I'm guessing that by "double" you mean any combination of swim - bike - run.  Or, do you mean a true running "double"?  ...

Yeah, I did a lot of double and triple workouts last year leading up to IMLP, seemed to work to get me through the day, but I'd like to drop an hour off this year.  I neglected the run work a bit later, as I got closer to the race.  The start of the year I had an ultra marathon and Boston, which I had built solid run mileage up to, then switched focus to more biking and neglected the run.  At IMLP, my bike was pretty good, my run sucked balls. My swim was fair, especially for someone who almost never swims.  I don't plan to improve my swim this year.  It would take a huge amount of training for a small amount of return.  I can improve more on the run or bike.  Definitely the run (marathon was like 5 hours.  Usually I'm around 3:10).

So, my "doubles" right now are mostly running 2x a day.  Eventually it will be running and biking.  Some day between now and July I'll swim a bit ;-P

I like to run, so even if it was not for IMLP I'd probably be doing 2 runs/day every few days anyway.  Plus, I need to lose about 5 lbs (probably 10, realistically) to get back to race weight.  Running is the most fun way for me to do that, since I won't stop eating ice cream and pizza. 

Oh, and thanks everyone for the feedback! 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

Feeling the growl again

To optimize training benefit, I'd go along the lines of what Jeff said and aim for 6-8 hrs in between.  When I had the luxury of choosing when to run doubles, I'd run about 8-9am or 7-8am, then again 5-6:30pm (8-9 hrs in between).  Maximize recovery in between runs.  

I don't have the luxury now.  I can rarely get out before work.  So often I run 11-12 or 12-1, then again after work at 5 or 6pm.  Really not enough time in between and I can feel the difference, but it is what it is.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

You should run when you can and want.  If it feels like too much, then change it.

Some people run three times a day.  That is maximizing the burn.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

ultramarathon/triathlete

You should run when you can and want.  If it feels like too much, then change it.

Some people run three times a day.  That is maximizing the burn.

Thanks, it is really about running when I want.  But, having said that, I don't always care that much and "want" to run whenever.  So, I feel that if I have no preference, I should go for the most optimal timing.

And, yes, I do get 3 workouts in a day, especially as I get further into Ironman training.  It's a lot of laundry. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

DoppleBock

I do not "Run when I want" - Sometimes to build base and De-fat I am just grinding out miles.  At 1st 2-a-days can be a grind - It usually takes 2-3 weeks for my body to adjust and then they feel nice.  In fact after a few months of 2-a-days, I get pretty stiff if I just run once in a day.

Most the time 3-a-days are a grind, but after 2-3 weeks I can grind them out most days.  But I really hate 3-a-days on hard days.

Easy day = 8/6/6 or 10/7/5

Hard day 8/6/20-42 or 10/8/20-42

And, yes, I do get 3 workouts in a day, especially as I get further into Ironman training.  It's a lot of laundry. 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !