Asphalt versus Concrete (Read 1378 times)

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Continually running on concrete or a cambered surface will eventually take it's toll on your legs. At least that's my experience. Running on a mixture of surfaces is generally better approach.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Continually running on concrete or a cambered surface will eventually take it's toll on your legs. At least that's my experience. Running on a mixture of surfaces is generally better approach.
      Totally agree with this.
        With a shoe between you and the surface, it makes no difference, they are the same to you.
        The only way to know for sure is to attach an accelerometer to the fibula of a runner. Since there aren't likely to be many volunteers for this little experiment, we are destined to debate it forever. Tom
        JimR

The only way to know for sure is to attach an accelerometer to the fibula of a runner. Since there aren't likely to be many volunteers for this little experiment, we are destined to debate it forever. Tom
          Most of the studies look at the hardness of the surfaces themselves and how much energy the surfaces can absorb. The closest you'll find regarding a study on actual impact experienced is this one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2946394?dopt=Abstract Comparison of hard against soft surfaces shows little difference in the amount of impact felt in the legs. There isn't an attempt here to resolve why (and here they're comparing soft surfaces to hard surfaces and consider asphalt and concrete to both be 'hard' surfaces). If there's very little difference between soft and hard surfaces, I can't imagine there's anything significant between two hard surfaces like asphalt and concrete. Despite all the perceptions, claims and myths, there is no study that shows runnnig on concrete is worse for you than running on asphalt. Yes, concrete's harder and if you smack it with a hammer it'll go 'ping' while asphalt will go 'thud', but none of that means a thing for running.
            In addition to being harder I think concrete is also stickier...that is you have much better traction on it than on asphalt. I've noticed when I've run a lot on concrete that the bottoms of my feet "burn" a little. And I've gotten blisters from the ball of my foot slipping just a bit in my shoe since the sole of the shoe stays glued in place on the ground better than on asphalt--but then this was also during a run in Florida when I was used to running in New England so could have also been from the intense heat, not just running on concrete sidewalks for 16 miles. Not scientific but just something I've noticed. In general I think the difference in impact is minimal when you've got a 1/4 of foam between you and the road anyway.

Runners run

rlemert

Fresh asphalt does tend to be "springier", but after it's been down for some time and had a few months worth of cars drive over it I don't really notice any difference between it and concrete.

Imminent Catastrophe

Sounds like a job for "Mythbusters"

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I'd suggest buying a motorcycle (Harley would be best) and riding it the .4 miles to avoid the concrete, then park and run.