Compression wear (Read 1164 times)

Does anyone wear compression socks? What are they supposed to do? Prevent calf cramps? Do they work? Thanks!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

I wear them nearly all the time, but not while running. I just wear the simple Futuro brand (dress socks) that you can buy at Walgreens. 

I think they help with recovery, and keep my calves from getting really tight as I sit on my duff all day long. 

Sharruns

I wear them after all my long runs. I feel that they help my legs recover fast and help keep my calfs from being sore.

+1 for the Futuro compression socks, I wear them after all my quality days.  I think they improve recovery, but even if they don't they feel fantastic on.  I also have a pair of CEP compression socks I wear for races, I really do believe they make a difference.  It isn't less cramps or anything like that, the effort at a particular pace just feels slightly less.  It could just be psychological but I like them.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

xor

I wear them on planes after races to help defend against DVT. I have not (yet) suffered from DVT, so yay.  Dunno if it was the socks.

I wear sleeves while running, but more for the side effects.  I do think I feel better post-race if I have worn them during.  But really, I wear them 1) because they help keep me warm and 2) in trail runs, they protect my lower legs from nasty pokey/scrapy/poisony  things on the trail.

I wear Zensahs.  The two negatives I've found: 1) I've gotten used to wearing them in all long races, but the "they keep me warm" is not so great in summer and Hawai'i races (so I don't wear them, but then it feels like I forgot my pants or my glasses or something) and 2) in rain, they soak up water... like wearing two washcloths, yuck. 

And wet zensahs after a race standing around in the cold?  B A D.  Very bad.

Of course, all the brands fit a little differently.  What you don't want - if you are muffin topping over the top of the socks/sleeves, they are too tight.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I swear by my CEP socks.  I wear them to bed the night before a long/hard race and wear them around the house/to bed the night after a hard workout or marathon.  I also have the CEP calf sleeves, running shorts and a pair of zoot compression knickers (which I've raced in, and quads felt nice) and zoot compression socks.  I like the fit of the CEP socks the best, my wife likes her 2XU compression socks, but I haven't tried that brand. 

They definitely appear to help me recover faster and my legs definitely feel fresher in the morning after wearing them.  I also wear them when traveling far (by plane).

I figure, even if it's all a placebo effect, it seems to be working or at least tricking me into thinking it's working, and the end result is the same = my legs feel better.

Get some.   Smile

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

lagwagon

Compression hose / socks started out in the medical field to help people who had inadequate peripheral blood flow.  Also very useful for preventing clots after leg/joint surgery.

The theory for athletic use is that through mechanical constriction they can improve the blood flow to your legs and thus promote faster healing.  I dont know of any real evidence to support this claim, but it doesn't seem outrageous to me.

I have a history of poor circulation and do a lot of international travel, so the doctor has me wear them for long flights.  Also, I'll sometimes wear them for very long car trips after races or very hard workouts.  

I dont like the futuro very much, the synthetic material doesnt breathe well.   I prefer the Smartwool phd compression socks...very comfortable, hold shape, and fit me well.  (Fit is very important to ensure proper compression.)

I also have a pair of CEP compression socks I wear for races, I really do believe they make a difference.  It isn't less cramps or anything like that, the effort at a particular pace just feels slightly less.  It could just be psychological but I like them.

I'm debating whether to run in compression sleeves/socks. I know the Futuro are good for recovery. But I've always questioned the value of actually running in compression socks/sleeves.

I pulled a calf muscle last week. Not major but cost me a 4 days. Maybe soleus, maybe some achilles involvement, I can't be sure. I'm back running but my calf/achilles does feel tight and a bit achy when i run. But I've been skeptical of the value of wearing them during running. Placebo effect or do they really help? I might be more willing to try b/c of this little injury and a marathon in May. 

I wear sleeves while running, but more for the side effects.  I do think I feel better post-race if I have worn them during....

I wear Zensahs.

+1 to the above.  I had an Achilles injury in spring 2011, and I find that my leg feels better post-run if I've worn a sleeve.  FWIW, I am completely unaware of the leg sleeve during the run and don't really think about it afterward, so I like to think it's an actual benefit and not a psychological-only effect.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I dont like the futuro very much, the synthetic material doesnt breathe well.   I prefer the Smartwool phd compression socks...very comfortable, hold shape, and fit me well.  (Fit is very important to ensure proper compression.)

fwiw, Futuro has a few choices for material. I don't recall which ones i liked or now,but the ones i'm wearing right now are very comfortable/breathable.   I have had some that were too warm and seldom wear.

lagwagon

fwiw, Futuro has a few choices for material. I don't recall which ones i liked or now,but the ones i'm wearing right now are very comfortable/breathable.   I have had some that were too warm and seldom wear.

good to know, I just grabbed the only one in my size at CVS, they were quite inexpensive iirc. 

I might grab a pair of CEPs next time I need to buy a pair.  one thing about the smartwools is you probably would not want to run in them except in very cold weather.