Tips for keeping phone from freezing? (Read 154 times)

Chasing the bus

My iphone 5s freezes at ridiculously high temps (40f?!). Best place for me to keep it warm is in my glove. I can get to it easily and it stays warm. I also wear pretty heavy gloves for cold weather because my hands get cold easily when running, plus I use bluetooth headphones, so no wires.

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
    Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

If I keep mine in an i-whatever belt against my skin with a layer of clothing over it, in any temps under about 40, it's good for 1 use when I take it out-- as in, snapping 1 picture, making 1 call, or whatever. After that it's done. I have the 5S. If I keep it in that pouch against my skin and am using the GPS app, the app will keep working as long as I don't take the phone out.

I sell running armbands so naturally I'm going to suggest keeping the phone out of your hand (for heat). For cold, I'm not sure there's a lot you can do, it's much more likely to freeze in warmer conditions. (think about your battery for example)

Best Present Ever

I sell running armbands so naturally I'm going to suggest keeping the phone out of your hand (for heat). For cold, I'm not sure there's a lot you can do, it's much more likely to freeze in warmer conditions. (think about your battery for example)

This makes no sense. Why would something be more likely to freeze in warmer vs cooler weather? And several people have suggested ways they keep their phones from getting too cold, so there are obviously things one can do.

^^Sho nuff. I don't run with my phone on me, it's too damn heavy. I use an Ipod, anywho, don't wanna DIE gress. I've never had my phone freeeze on me, ever. I throw it in the lid of my backpack while climbing, hiking etc, below zero and shit, no problems, least not yet, and i've had it for 3-4 years.

jfa

Sounds like an iproblem.

My droid, like it's owner, can get quite jiggy with the cold temps. That is, if they ever return.

Kalsarikännit

I've never had my phone freeeze on me, ever. I throw it in the lid of my backpack while climbing, hiking etc, below zero and shit, no problems, least not yet, and i've had it for 3-4 years.

+1  When it is below freezing it will go in my sleeping bag with me at night, otherwise I just throw it in a pack pocket. Never had a problem. It gave me the heat warning this summer when I was in Death Valley and it was 128 degrees.

For outdoorsy shit, my phone uses a cheap, waterproof, sweatproof case that can also hold other stuff like and ID and money. A ziplock baggie.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Best Present Ever

Really? Mine shuts down on me if I put it in my pack when it's cold. Even in my race vest pretty close to my body I've had it shut down in the cold.

This makes no sense. Why would something be more likely to freeze in warmer vs cooler weather? And several people have suggested ways they keep their phones from getting too cold, so there are obviously things one can do.

I live in Hong Kong and my phone sometimes freezes (rarely actually) as the temperature here normally sits at around 25c but can go to 35c. I agree though there are things you can do in cold weather.

My ipad will sometimes complain about being too hot if it's been left in car - under insulation and whatever I can find to protect it - for too long at colder temperatures (probably +20F and below). I think it's vocabulary is limited for exceeding temperature limlitations. My phone's never done that since it's usually with me for pictures.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog