2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JT - Thanks!
    I don't take that the wrong way at all - that 3:04 was nearly 3 years ago now, and I'm feeling much more fit than then. I didn't try racing any marathons after that PR until late 2019/early 2020 and ran into some issues - a stomach bug hit me mid-race at Dallas (December 2019, a miserable event), and Cowtown (February 2020) was horrifically unseasonable with the weather and I blew up in the heat/humidity. Between those two results (Dallas was also unseasonably warm and humid) I resolved to not run any more marathons in Texas. Definitely looking forward to a substantial PR this year.

Have you checked the lacing on your daily shoes? I had a similar pain in the top of my foot years ago, at it was the lacing of my daily shoes that caused it, even though the pain only happened while running.

Here's hoping that whichever forecast that looks better is what you get.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Flavio - You could be having anxiety with this marathon coming up and feeling that you need to run a certain time because of your shorter distance success? That is the only distance race I get anxious about during taper and I decided to read ‘The Secret’ in the week before my PR marathon in 2019 and it really helped as I ended up being convinced that I could go sub 2:50!  Ok, it didn’t quite work out, but it was a great experience feeling confident throughout a marathon.

I decided to run a half marathon time trial this morning and managed a 1:43:55. I stopped my watch at 13.16 to make it authentic.  Baby steps!  Onwards and upwards.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - Hang in there, I think you just need to get to race day.  You've had a very solid marathon training block, albeit with a few hiccups (has anyone not had a few hiccups though?).  Your recent race times, especially your half PR, show you're capable of sub 3.  If you can get on top of your nutrition/anxiety/sleep issues to some degree, you're primed for a big race.  Is it worth going out at 3:05 pace for the first 10km to remind yourself just how easy you find that pace?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CK: Got it, that makes sense regarding the PR. The weather should be ideal at CIM (just ask Cal) so you shouldn't have that buggering things up like those last two races. I might give an alternative lacing pattern a try; I remember seeing a good article on that on Runnersconnect; need to dig it up.

Mikkey: Nice work on the half! I'm not worried about your fitness coming back; you're one of those lucky few that can not run for months and then be back doing crazy stuff like 2 LRs a week in no time!

Going to test out the ankle on the treadmill; that way I can run on incline the whole time which helps.

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: Nice work on the half! I'm not worried about your fitness coming back; you're one of those lucky few that can not run for months and then be back doing crazy stuff like 2 LRs a week in no time!

Going to test out the ankle on the treadmill; that way I can run on incline the whole time which helps.

Thanks!  You are the poster that I relate to the most on this thread and really hope you get that sub2:50. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Thanks!  You are the poster that I relate to the most on this thread and really hope you get that sub2:50. 👍

Yeah, JTR is the good one here, basically - a sweetheart, not a sh*%head like me, you or RP. 

Re your "trial" HM - good first step, just confirms the saying - "there is no shame in walking" 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yeah, JTR is the good one here, not a sh*%head like me, you or RP. 

Re your "trial" HM - good first step, just confirms the saying - "there is no shame in walking" 

Now that the covid thread has disappeared I need to focus on this thread and shake it up!

Hey, are you saying that sub 8min/mile pace is walking?  Bloody hell, this is a tough thread. 👎

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DWave - "The glass is currently at half of its maximum capacity".
                  What are your typical "positive" thoughts/reasons why it will go well?
                  Personally, in a race I'm typically a "This isn't anything harder than I've done in training" kind of guy.

Honestly, they can be quite silly.  It doesn't have to be logical and positive, it just needs to be positive.  So can be stuff like:

- my shoes feel great on my feet today

- this is my favorite headband

- etc.

In addition to the standard "wow this is great weather" or "my workouts have gone well."

The point is not to logically persuade yourself that you will have a great race (because sometimes you won't, due to lack of training, weather, etc).  It's just to have a quiver of positive things that you can cut and paste into your mind any time you start thinking negative thoughts (i.e. why do I do this, my feet hurt, etc)

JTReeves - sorry about the ankle.  is the muscle at the front of your shin tight (anterior tibialis)?  Tightness in that muscle can trigger some tendonitis in the related tendon at the front of the ankle.  There is a nice trigger point for that muscle here.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

Now that the covid thread has disappeared I need to focus on this thread and shake it up!

Hey, are you saying that sub 8min/mile pace is walking?  Bloody hell, this is a tough thread. 👎

Even more than that - if you remember, one of the previous thread contributor was very specific that 7:00-7:40 pace is the dead zone. You don't want to run where the dead people run, do you? So, either sub 7 pace, or you are a zombie runner. 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If you are a zombie, is that gait really "walking"?

I think there has to be a distinction between zombie pace (i.e. the deep gray dead zone) and walking pace.  Because zombies shuffle and shamble.  They do not walk.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I'm happy to see the Mikkey vs Cal trash-talking re-starting! Keep it going boys!

Darkwave: Yes, that's the area; though it is not that tight, just where the pain is. I put myself in a terror this morning with some Google doctoring which led primarily to stress reaction/fracture as the diagnosis for the location of this pain. But none of the tests for a SF give a positive result; no severe pain in a specific area, and I can jump on the affected leg with no pain. I tried on the treadmill this morning but felt pain; less than yesterday but this close to a marathon I don't want to mess around.

Edit: thanks Darkwave for the pic; I will give rolling that area a try.

To add to the negativity, the forecast for Hartford really looks like crap now, from both accu-weather and weatherunderground. Temps and dew points too high for my liking. Hopefully it changes over the next week. Worst case, I have Northern Ohio on Oct. 31.

2:52:16 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Honestly, they can be quite silly.  It doesn't have to be logical and positive, it just needs to be positive.  So can be stuff like:

- my shoes feel great on my feet today

- this is my favorite headband

- etc.

I've tried that stuff, but the logical part of me just yells "Dude, what the hell difference does it make that you're wearing your favorite imported running socks??"

JT - A near guarantee of good weather was a major part of choosing CIM. The possibility of meeting some step-up-from-imaginary friends was up there as well. I'm glad you seem to have eliminated a SF as a possible culprit, and that the pain on the treadmill was less than yesterday. I certainly understand not wanting to risk anything this close to a race - hopefully it keeps trending the right direction.

Covid thread is gone? I haven't checked that one in a very long time, and wonder what finally drove it to extinction. I bet that one drove a lot of ad revenue while it was here

It definitely looks like rain for my HM Saturday, which I'll certainly take over the same conditions without the rain.
                          The forecast for OKC shows that the OKC Memorial races (Sunday) will have sucky weather regardless of if it's held in Spring or Fall. At least for those running it there's supposed to be an extremely rare North wind, so at the very least the slight uphill from ~20-23 won't also have a headwind like usual.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

There is nothing logical about running a marathon voluntarily.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I'm happy to see the Mikkey vs Cal trash-talking re-starting! Keep it going boys!

There are some people that I’d love to meet at Boston 23...you, cinnamon, RP, Cal and others.... I’ve already met Andres and know that he’s a top guy.. 👍

Running Problem

Problem Child

There is nothing logical about running a marathon.

Fixed it for you.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22