Hartford Half Marathon (Read 394 times)

patarch1

New Haven 08

What a great day for a Half Marathon. 0 wind, almost not chilly at the start and so many happy people. I was my first and it took me 1h52 to finish it. Two things that could have been better: the mile markers were painted on the road making it diffcult to stay focused on the road ahead; there were so many people at the start that the first two miles felt like the most dangerous miles I have ever run. Those two miles took me almost 19 minutes which was tough to gain on the following ones. But enough complaining, it was a great day, the organization was great and it was a great milestone after stopping smoking three months or so ago. I hope to read some more reports as several members of this forum were there too. Patarch1

200 mile bike trip in three days with sleeping gear and change.

Get the Saturday running club back up.

Run below 8 minutes per mile for 6 miles.

My legs are killing me

It was a great day for a race! The weather was great. I really enjoyed the course and I thought the race was organized well. We were able to turn it into a family event. I ran the 1/2, 2 teens ran the 5k and and the little ones did the kids race. So there was something for everyone which made the event really a lot of fun. My only complaint was the walkers. I started with the 10 mpm group and for the first 2 miles I had to constantly run around walkers. First, what are they doing up front and secondly what are they doing walking in the middle of the road? I think it's great there are walkers but can you please start at the back and can you please stay to the side. geez.
        Well it was perfect weather for my first, and I landed squarely on my 2:10 time which I'm happy about considering 4 weeks ago, I thought there was no way I'd be able to race it at all. The good stuff was the weather, the course, the bands, and the on-lookers, the bad was the lack of mile markers and the beginning of the race,.... For me I had to use the potty last minute and ended up at the VERY end of the pack which meant, yes, I got to pass people but there were times when that was difficult in the first 2 miles. I was also surprised by the walkers in the middle of the road and generally in pairs making it hard to pass. Way to go everyone and way to go Hartford, great party afterward and lots and lots of volunteers to help today.
          My only complaint was the walkers. I started with the 10 mpm group and for the first 2 miles I had to constantly run around walkers. First, what are they doing up front and secondly what are they doing walking in the middle of the road? I think it's great there are walkers but can you please start at the back and can you please stay to the side. geez.
          It sounds like a great day for a race. I've heard the "please position yourself appropriately" announcements before the start, but most of the PA systems suck and most of the crowd never hears them. It really should be posted on the website, at the number pick-up, and announced to those that can hear it.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.