Protein help (Read 505 times)

chehabka

I am looking to get really fast really soon. Back in high school I could run a 4:26 in the 1600 and a 1:57 in the 800 and I have fallen a little off since then due to lazyness and beer in college. I don't have the beer belly going or anything but I have been wanting to work out and don't really want to lose weight but continue to gain as much speed as I can. Is there any special type of protein that anybody would recommend specifically for us running folks?

De-slacking in progress

When I first started my "get healthy" program to lose weight/build muscle/work out in gym- even before I thought about getting into running (it's got into me now) I started drinking protein shakes becuase I don't eat well- poor excuse, but the way I work 14 hr days,etc- bla bla bla....I bought this and have been using it ever since. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html I buy it by the 10# bag. Even my wife drinks it. 8-12oz of milk with 1.5 scoops- shake it up and drink I went the low carb/high protein route for my first 40# weight loss. I have since found this makes a great recovery drink and I drink it all the time to help in muscle rebuilding after my runs. Double Choc is the best. I'm sure there will be 100 people give you 100 answers with the best being- eat a balance diet- all i can say is that this works for me. When I don't drink it I end up with sore muscles. I can't say if it would do anything at all for speed.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Protein will not make you run faster. Running more will make you run faster. Protein will help you recover from workouts. I also use Optimum Nutrition's whey protein post workout. I mix it will milk or OJ. Frankly, after a running workout, chocolate milk is a simple, affordable recovery drink. Yogurt smoothies work too. The whey protein is just convenient. The rest of my protein comes from lean foods like chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, beans, etc. I won't spoil Trent's submission to this thread. Big grin Here's a link to more than you ever wanted to know about protein, but keep in mind that it is geared towards bodybuilders that consume a LOT more protein than runners would: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Protein