2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

dw good catch on the downhill nature of Tunnel. I didn't even think about that. Did you get your mug yet? I have one, I think, that's a cartoonish moose shaped one. Maybe when I'm 50 I'll be able to explain to my grandkids why grandpa has a moose mug.

ace For some reason I don't associate your current living city with hills...and there is a hilly course "marathon" just around the corner. Hey how is coaching going or is it on hold until another race? I noticed you haven't mentioned it for a while.

Keen In a previous life I did (semi) competitive pistol shooting. I would, and still do, tell "macho men" the pink guns were more accurate. I'd say pink shoes are faster. Maybe even 5% faster which means the Vaporflys are useless against you. My "speed" shoe is 8.5 oz so I can't imagine how light a racing flat is. What do you think the longest race you'll do in them is?

Cut the "week" short by a little. I might make it up tomorrow. NeRP and I are "solo" but my brother in law is here now so he could spectate NeRP while I run Sunday. My nieces are here from Virginia so I'll probably let them see the 10th wonder of the world tomorrow if I don't feel like cleaning. He's started to sleep 7+ hours this week. DW told NeRP he's going to make it easy on daddy this weekend. I might just let the kid have some beer to help him sleep.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

No mug yet - it should take a few weeks.

I think pink shoes make you run faster due to the shame.

8 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core plus DIY yoga.  I think I shall run tomorrow.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AceHarris

Brew: It may not seem hilly because the elevation is relatively low. My house is around 1100’, but we’re in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. An hour drive and 6 mile hike and you’re at 6600’. Every run is rolling hills unless I’m by the river. I’m still using the coaching service. Just hit the year mark at the beginning of this month. I’m enjoying it and looked back on the year realizing I set PRs in mile, 5k, 10k, HM, and M. So, not too bad. Honestly, the best perk is not having to plan my training. My wife and kids take up enough space in my brain as it is. It’s fun being part of a team atmosphere as well, although there are several free group runs around town. I’ll likely stick with it through my fall marathon (Indy) and then re-evaluate.

Keen: we need a pic of the pink shoes! My daughter will LOVE them.

Got the whole family out tonight for a walk and 20 minute run. We took up a decent amount of road with 2 adults, single

bob, double bob, dog, and sometimes the oldest daughter running. It was fun!

12-13 scheduled for tomorrow with last 2 aiming for 6:20 pace. Trying to get some speed on tired legs. Could be ugly.

Forgot to add that just for fun I rewatched the 2017 world championships women’s 3000 steeple today. It was awesome...again. I need to catch up on USATF Championships.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

fb-guy

My preferred shoe color is clear(ance).

Matt -- well done. Uglier and cheaper the better. DD2 and I played a game when she did HS XC where we would both buy the cheapest version of whichever shoe we were looking for on Amazon, no matter how hideous.

OMR --  congratulations on the double digits. You have to promise to hold my hand on the cliffs. OK?

rlk, Jim and DW -- great stories on OTQ. I'm trying to remember if anyone in (near) the RWOL 3:20 community has run the race and reported on the experience. Anybody come to mind? It is a great experience? I ran the first 3-4 at CIM once with the OTQ pace group, and that was great.

rlk -- is that CIM that I am sensing?

Ace -- nice year with a full hosue of PR's. It's good to see that coaching really working; the idea of not having to do all the planning makes a lot of sense. Last two at 6:20. Good luck and good lord. I would be thrilled to run a couple of 6:20s any time anywhere.

Ucan -- sometimes I just feel so old; or at least an old fart.

Grey hair -- Jim wins. I've never been offered a bus seat. I'm prematurely "blond" starting in my mid 20s. Here, in a sea of black hair, the locals think I'm German. My eyebrows have started turning grey. Sigh.

Ilana and McB -- good luck on speed work. Don't blow out a tire. I'll keep reading and see how it goes later.

UPDATE. Well done Ilana. Was it really good pushing it???? Slow base building has it's advantages.

Brew -- Nice run!. NePR sleeping through the night? Just wait until you can't sleep through the night on your own. haha. Getting old is really great.

PJ -- I could backpack cam the bars in my neighborhood. No problem.

SC, Ace, Keen -- thanks for input on earphones! I decided to stick with AirPods and DW found an article on cleaning ear stuff with rubbing alcohol. Seems to be working!

Heat -- in the low 80s I'm OK. In the high 80s my HR shoots up 15-20 bpm. Hopefully I'm going to adjust, or just die for the next 10 weeks.

I'm doing base building.

4@8:57

8@8:32

10@8:10

8@8:34

8@8:36 (struggle)

8@8:27

8@8:13

54@8:27.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

pepperjack

pie man

FB - probably wouldn’t be the first time that’s happened.

ol walmsley finally did it, didn’t he?  The fine folks at rabbit had perforated singlets for their elites at WSER.  Apparently a guy that used be local paced one of the folks in the top 10 (just showed up in my strava).

I realized I have a couple of ppouches of UCAN my shoe store friend gave me months ago,  trying them again (and meh).

27 for me this week as I chased a strava challenge for no good reason.

edit: 2nd for Schneider in the 5,000!  No surprise the 1500 ladies out kicked everybody at the end there.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

pepperjack

pie man

double post

darkwave

Mother of Cats

rlk, Jim and DW -- great stories on OTQ. I'm trying to remember if anyone in (near) the RWOL 3:20 community has run the race and reported on the experience. Anybody come to mind? It is a great experience? I ran the first 3-4 at CIM once with the OTQ pace group, and that was great.

My team has sent someone to each trials so far.  I had 3 friends run the 2012 trials - it sounded like an awful, mismanaged event.  Water stations that were promised never showed; the wet sponges that were handed out were dirty; non-existent schwag for the runners.  Really, just an embarrassment for USATF.

USATF T&F championships have been a good watch.

Heat: it's a cliche, but the air temp is not as significant as the humidity.  I'll take a dry 75 over a humid 65 any day.

My week: 30 "miles" pool-running and 6 miles running

M 7.5 "miles" pool-running
                T: 7 "miles" pool-running
                W: Yoga
                Th: Yoga and 7.5 "miles" pool-running
                F: Yoga and swimming
                Sa: 8 "miles" pool-running, upper body weights/core, and DIY yoga
                Su: 6 miles very easy (9:19), injury prevention work, and swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

My week:

M) Core/mobility (P90X3 Dynamix)

Tu) 7

W) 9 w/ 10x1' hills @ 5K effort

Th) 7.5 w/ 25' 'steady' (7:47 or MP+10%)

F) 4.5 easy

Sa) 9 w/ 20' tempo (6:33) and 4x200m fast (~38)

Su) ElliptiGo 1:39

Total: 37 + "11" on the Go

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

My week got up to 34mpw, another high since the sfx. Also all outside, though the fire's perking up again after a couple of windy, hot days and I suspect I'll be doing some if not all runs this week on the dreadmill.

M: 6.3

T: 6.7 with .25, .5, 1, .5, .25 ladder, 3 min jog recovery

W: 5.3 mi bike (on road) with 300' up/down

Th: 5.3 easy

F: 11.3 reverse progession :-(

Sa: 4.7 easy

Su: 11.8 mtb with 1300' up/down

NYC gay pride parade has a new route this year and starts just below our apt - Floats are still lining up and it's been going for on 8 hrs already.   Helicopters just out the window, thumping disco music, etc

Anyone planning to run 5th ave mile in Sept can sign up now (dw?, pj?)  A fun race and reasonably quick course.

myositis ossificans - I've got it deep in my calf (tibialis posterior)  - abnornal bone-like deposits in muscle from injury or chronic inflammation.   So I'm on the shelf for the foreseeable future.  I'm going to see a sports ortho guy in Aug, but I don't think there is much to do for it, other than let it quiet down and scar.   So I'm going to keep cross training.  I miss working out with my running club...

Hey to y'all!

ETA: I was rooting for Walmsley!!!

OMR

ilana:  Hope your SU is "enjoying" the prep for his own procedure, and that it goes well.

rovatti:  Thanks for suggesting that the prep was brutal.  It made me think it wasn't actually all that bad...  Sorry to hear about the myositis ossificans.  Walmsley...wow...

Jim:  I didn't know what chirps were, either.  And I'm not in any rush to try them.

fb:  Funny about holding hands on the cliffs.  Was there a particular video you were watching?  Nice base-building.

Hey to the rest of you.

My week...

M:  6.9 @ 8:46

T:  8.4 @ 8:54

W:  10.1 @ 8:28

T:  4.3 @ 9:00

F:  Colonoscopy

S:  Rest (spent the day kayaking with DW)

S:  4.7 @ 8:38

Total:  34.4.  Hoping to bump it up closer to 50 this week.

runethechamp

Trying to catch up here, just spent a week in Mexico and logged almost a week's worth of miles on a treadmill. Lots of scenic pictures on Strava.

Fb - Nice base building. I'm not there yet but I always thought you start seeing really big benefits from the easy days when you can have them be 8-10 miles.

Ilana - You're coming along very nicely! Good to see.

Brew - Had my own T-workout today and it was not easy (see below). I was hoping it would have been better.

CK - Always fun with new shoes. I'm venturing outside of my all Hoka lineup to Adidas now and enjoying the different feel of the Boston 6 during some of my speed workouts.

Everybody else - Hi!

The treadmill running in Mexico was boring but OK with the World Cup on TV that I could watch at the same time. Got back Saturday and did my Q1 workout of week 2 today and got to my planned total of 45 miles. Can't remember if I mentioned it before but I've decided to try to peak my program at 55 miles instead of 50, so my weeks will start out at 45 miles, then be at 50 for some weeks, and then there will be a bunch of weeks at 55. Today I had two segments of threshold pace of 3 and 2 miles, and today it felt really hard even though I hit the average training pace per Jack Daniels. It was pretty windy (15 mph) and I had a headwind for large parts of the threshold segments, plus some small hills here and there, so I'm not worried. And all the cheap beer I drank in Mexico probably didn't help either.

Don't think I ever posted the week before this week so I included that as well. Moved up my first workout of my program from Sunday to Friday to not have to do it on a treadmill. In my table below for last week I haven't included any manual activities I've entered in Strava to make up for the difference in miles between my watch and the treadmill. The total reflects my total including those miles though.

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Jun 11, 2018 thru Sunday, Jun 17, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                          Mon 6.2 8:51 0:54 Afternoon Run 132 (69%) 111 strava
                          Tue 1.2 5:03 0:06 Morning Ride 124 (65%) 0 strava
                          Tue 10.0 9:48 1:38 Tuesday Reps 137 (71%) 408 strava
                          Wed 6.2 9:34 0:59 Slow run on heavy legs 122 (64%) 271 strava
                          Thu 3.1 9:15 0:28 Squeezed in between client lunch and flight home 134 (70%) 76 strava
                          Fri 14.5 7:58 1:55 18-week program for Amsterdam starts now! 147 (77%) 404 strava
                          Sat 3.0 11:15 0:33 Afternoon Run 125 (65%) 0 strava
                          Sun 4.5 9:42 0:43 Lunch Run 125 (65%) 0 strava
                            48.7 9:01 7:19     1270  

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Jun 18, 2018 thru Sunday, Jun 24, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Link
                          Mon 4.2 10:23 0:43 Lunch Run 127 strava
                          Tue 4.8 10:42 0:51 Morning Run 132 strava
                          Wed 9.8 10:27 1:42 Treadmill Threshold Run 138 strava
                          Thu 4.4 9:59 0:43 Very sad treadmill run 125 strava
                          Fri 4.4 9:41 0:42 Last treadmill run for a while 132 strava
                          Sun 13.1 8:13 1:47 E-T-E-T-E 149 strava
                            45.2 9:37 6:31      

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

fb-guy

OMR -- this.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

AceHarris

Rune: nice week and Q1 workout. You seem to travel a good bit. Is that mostly work related? I love Run-sploring new cities, but would be tough to do it a lot while in marathon prep.

Rovatti: sorry about the calf. How long does something like that take to recover?

This weekend our city hosted the USA Cycling Road National Championships and they did a pretty solid job of televising the event and managing traffic. Even better, a Tennessean won!! Only 21 y/o.

Enjoyed watching USATF, but the weather delay ruined coverage so I missed watching the men's 5k. Houlihan looked like she sandbagged until the last 150m when she put the pedal down! Sandbagged is obviously relative here.

My Week: Sunday's run went well, but 5-10 seconds slower than I wanted to be on the last 2 miles.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Date Distance Pace Comment  

Mon Jun 18 

8:02 

Easy 6 

strava 

Wed Jun 20 

7:37 

2 easy, 5x5:00 (6:25), 2 easy 

strava 

Thu Jun 21 

8:02 

Did I just feel a cool breeze? Easy 6 

strava 

Fri Jun 22 

8:30 

2 easy, 14x100 Hills, 2 easy 

strava 

Sat Jun 23 

11:52 

Family Run 

strava 

Sun Jun 24 

8:01 

10 Easy, 2 pickup (6:30, 6:23)

strava 
                              Summary:

8:11

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

pepperjack

pie man

The women’s 5,000 was a strategic race like most championships,  I wouldn’t say Houlihan sandbagged but everyone else refused to push the pace and she was happy to sit back after doing the 1500 (this worked out for Schneider as well).  It’s a thing that happens and people wonder why, see every single Mo Farrah Olympics and world championship.

Also was missing a lot of folks who’d contend: Huddle, Rowbury, Sisson, or Infeld.