New! Garmin Forerunner 620/220 (Read 831 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I think the touchscreen is a negative. It's flimsy and not ground breaking.

Odd.  I thought of the touchscreen as a negative before purchasing it, but after owning the watch I think it's pretty darn good.  The interface is much more intuitive than button-mashing to scroll through menus.  I don't think it's a "killer-feature" but might be worth a 10% increase in cost over a watch w/o it.

Why do you consider it flimsy?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

BillO

Odd.  I thought of the touchscreen as a negative before purchasing it, but after owning the watch I think it's pretty darn good.  The interface is much more intuitive than button-mashing to scroll through menus.  I don't think it's a "killer-feature" but might be worth a 10% increase in cost over a watch w/o it.

Why do you consider it flimsy?

Maybe that's a better phrase, it's not a "killer-feature" to me either.  For changing screens while running the touchscreen is great, works very well.  For scrolling through historical laps or other large menus it's a pain.

Flimsy - It feels like it.  Touching an iPhone or iPad screen feels solid (it's glass), touching the 610 feels hollow, like a thin layer of plastic suspended above the actual screen.  Is it actually flimsy? I don't know.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Maybe that's a better phrase, it's not a "killer-feature" to me either.  For changing screens while running the touchscreen is great, works very well.  For scrolling through historical laps or other large menus it's a pain.

Flimsy - It feels like it.  Touching an iPhone or iPad screen feels solid (it's glass), touching the 610 feels hollow, like a thin layer of plastic suspended above the actual screen.  Is it actually flimsy? I don't know.

Okay, I guess it makes more sense.  I don't own anything else touch-screen, so to me it doesn't feel flimsy.

Some of the vertical browsing is a pain: mostly because the "swiping" action isn't what you normally want, instead you want a small scroll distance (like one or two vertical lines) and that is a bit dodgy.  Fortunately, I don't find myself doing it very often as I own browse my history through RA.  However, I do like it for screen to screen navigation -- where you're touching a quarter of the screen to select something.  That seems to work pretty well.

But for all the things you do while actually running the touchscreen is a superior interface.  I like just having to slap at my wrist for information.  I just wish the light came on on the first-tap, instead of coming on and also moving you to the next screen.  Most of the time I just want to see the active screen in the dark -- not scroll through them.  So I'm forced to use the top-left button.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

ymmv

I set up my 220 with 2 screens that alternate every x seconds (medium speed):

screen 1

top: elapsed time

middle: lap pace

bottom: avg pace

screen 2

top: total distance

middle: lap pace

bottom: avg pace

I like this a lot.

BillO

My 220 shipped from REI this morning.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'm still on the fence over which one to order:  620 or 220.

I've used garmins for years.  When I'm running, I want to see my pace, distance and overall time.  If I break it into 4 items, it'd be current mile pace, overall average pace, distance and overall time.

I don't wear the heart rate monitor.  I have 2 or 3 of them from older garmins and one from a timex in a drawer somewhere.  I think I've worn them in 5 workouts in as many years.  I don't like feeling them on my chest.

I'd like the ability to wirelessly upload my data, that's cool (they both do that, no?)

I like the idea that when I sync it, I'll get 7 days worth of sat locations to capture a signal faster (they both do that too, no?).

I'd like it to automatically beep when I hit each mile (both, right?)

Is one smaller/thinner than the other?

Does one have a longer lasting battery (I'll use it in some ultras)?

Does one hold a signal better than the other?

I've never used the training partner on my older versions, never used the automatic start stop function when I stop at a light or something, I don't care or understand my vo2 max level and I don't need a race predictor or something to tell me I ran my fastest 10k.  I also don't need it to beep if I'm above or below my goal pace.

The touch screen sounds cool but isn't a deal breaker for me either.   Does that work with gloves on, by the way?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

bluerun

Super B****

Mendeldave -- yes, supposedly it does work with gloves on.

I do wear the HRM, plus I've grown accustomed to four data fields with the 310 and 910, so I'm probably going to end up with a 620 (which I DO NOT NEED).  Sad.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

ymmv

My old eyes can't read 4 fields on a watch face of this size. Three is readable. I know very little about the 620, but I've been using the 220 for a week or so. I did not buy the HRM, but I may try my 605 HRM with it. I expect it would work.

I can't upload data wirelessly with the 220. I think that it syncs only with a phone (not with a computer) via bluetooth, and my old droid phone has a bluetooth chip that is too old. They won't sync. If I could sync it with a phone, they have an app that will suck up the data and post it somewhere, probably at connect.garmin.com.

I'd rather not have the touch screen. I'd have to disable it while running, just like the bezel on the 405.

I'm still on the fence over which one to order:  620 or 220.

I've used garmins for years.  When I'm running, I want to see my pace, distance and overall time.  If I break it into 4 items, it'd be current mile pace, overall average pace, distance and overall time.

I don't wear the heart rate monitor.  I have 2 or 3 of them from older garmins and one from a timex in a drawer somewhere.  I think I've worn them in 5 workouts in as many years.  I don't like feeling them on my chest.

I'd like the ability to wirelessly upload my data, that's cool (they both do that, no?)

I like the idea that when I sync it, I'll get 7 days worth of sat locations to capture a signal faster (they both do that too, no?).

I'd like it to automatically beep when I hit each mile (both, right?)

Is one smaller/thinner than the other?

Does one have a longer lasting battery (I'll use it in some ultras)?

Does one hold a signal better than the other?

I've never used the training partner on my older versions, never used the automatic start stop function when I stop at a light or something, I don't care or understand my vo2 max level and I don't need a race predictor or something to tell me I ran my fastest 10k.  I also don't need it to beep if I'm above or below my goal pace.

The touch screen sounds cool but isn't a deal breaker for me either.   Does that work with gloves on, by the way?

ultramarathon/triathlete

I assume it will sync with an iPhone 4s.  Also, can it sync to a computer with bluetooth or just a phone?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

ymmv

I assume it will sync with an iPhone 4s.  Also, can it sync to a computer with bluetooth or just a phone?

I could be wrong, but I believe that it will only sync with a phone. Here's what the manual says:

The Forerunner has several Bluetooth connected features for your compatible smartphone or mobile device using the Garmin Connect Mobile application.

BillO

Ran with my 220 (no HRM) for the first time today.  For reference I returned my 610 back in September because it was a major PIA and originally ordered the 620 with HRM.  After using my wife's Garmin 10 for the past month I appreciated its simplicity and realized I never used most of the features that the 610 and 620 have.  The 220 covered all my needs and added cadence which I never had before.  I was never in love with the touchscreen on the 610 either.  Saving $200+ was nice too.

No complaints so far.  It's doing everything it should.  Pace, distance and cadence seem accurate.  I ran a new route today so I couldn't compare my normal mile markers.  So, as a GPS watch it worked flawlessly.

It is all plastic so it does feel cheaper than the 610 which had a solid metal back.  But, assuming it works and doesn't fall apart I don't care if it "feels" cheap.  If it works...it works.

The color screen is really lame.  I have no idea where they were going with this feature.  I'm only looking at text and black and white seems to work just fine at representing text.  For example, I chose the red theme.  The clock display shows the battery indicator, the hour and seconds in red.  Seems like a full battery should be green and it should turn red as it gets lower.  I'm quite the expert at telling time (as most adults are) and have no need to have the hours and seconds highlighted in color.

Pairing the watch with my iPhone was easy, getting it to upload and download directly to my phone took some more time.  I'm not sure what I did but I was able to upload my workouts and download a pre-planned workout to the watch all with my phone.  The information then carried over to the Garmin Connect website.  I feel like this could be buggy for a few months, but it does work.

The other method is to use the USB cord and connect directly to your computer.  I download the new Garmin Express Fit program to my Mac and was able to easily upload and download with this.  I also downloaded a firmware update with no issues (it was an updated time zone map).  With the USB you are also supposed to be able to download pre-loaded satellite maps for faster startup.  I'm not sure how this works yet, maybe this was the "time zone map" or maybe it just happens in the background.  The watch is so new nobody else seems to know yet.

ymmv

I like to break up a tempo day into 3 separate parts: warmup, tempo, cooldown.

With the 605, at each transition, I would do this:

press 'start/stop/enter button', (at 2:00 oclock) to stop timer

press and hold the 'lap/reset/quit button' (at 4:00 oclock) to save and reset the timer,

press 'start/stop/enter button' to start the timer

With the 220, I do this:

press 'runner button' (at 2:00 oclock) to 'stop'

press 'down arrow' button to highlight 'save'

press 'runner button' to execute 'save'

wait for saving

press 'down arrow' to highlight 'done'

press 'runner button' to execute 'done'

press 'runner button' to go back to running mode.

press 'runner button' to start timer.

that is a lot more steps to do, especially while running in the dark!

runlikeagirI

Can't you just program the workout into the watch so that all you need to do is hit the lap button to move on to the next segment? That's what I do. Like..the main portion of the workout would be X number of minutes or miles at tempo pace, and just say yes to the warmup and cooldown options.  No starting, stopping, resetting involved.

press and hold the 'lap/reset/quit button' (at 4:00 oclock) to save and reset the timer,

With the 220, I do this:

wait for saving

ultramarathon/triathlete

The color screen is really lame.  I have no idea where they were going with this feature.  I'm only looking at text and black and white seems to work just fine at representing text.  For example, I chose the red theme.  The clock display shows the battery indicator, the hour and seconds in red.  Seems like a full battery should be green and it should turn red as it gets lower.  

With the USB you are also supposed to be able to download pre-loaded satellite maps for faster startup.  I'm not sure how this works yet, maybe this was the "time zone map" or maybe it just happens in the background.  

I agree, I saw it was in color and my first thought was WHY and my second thought was GIMMICK.  It's not like we're watching a movie, or even looking at maps.  It's a clock.  Also, the battery being red?  What idiot engineered THAT? A full battery is universally green. Whatever.  Another example of someone designing and not using, I'm sure.

As for the satellite map download, I was told that it was automatic when you connected.  Maybe you don't see it but it happened?  I dunno.

My running store won't get the watch for another few weeks so I'm still waiting.  I have a $150 credit with them so I wanna buy it there.  Also, the strap on my current garmin just started to wear out so I guess this is a sign.  I wonder if Garmin would replace that though.  Would be nice to have a backup watch and if that strap goes, I can't really use it.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                              Gatorade Endurance Team

BillO

The problem is you weren't doing it right on the 605 (but it kind of worked) and you aren't doing it right on the 220.

You need to setup a workout on Garmin Connect and download it to your watch.  You program all those steps and customize however you like.

Or, directly in the watch set it up as an interval with a warmup and cooldown that is triggered with the lap button.

With the 220, I do this:

wait for saving