March is DVT Awareness Month (Read 87 times)

mrpink

I suffered a bilateral pulmonary embolism on 2/1/2013. I had early warning signs about 2 weeks before by PE, but I did not recognize the symptoms. I even made a trip to my primary doctor during this time, and he also missed the symptoms. This seems very common when it comes to young, healthy individuals. 

This is an attempt to raise awareness about DVT/PE. Early detection and treatment can mean the difference between life and death. I encourage everyone to take some time to familiarize yourselves with the symptoms of DVT/PE by following the link below. I think it outlines symptoms, risk factors and treatments quite well, and is well worth the 5 minutes it takes to read through it.

http://www.clotconnect.org/about-clot-connect/news/march-is-dvt-awareness-month

Another Passion

Awesome! Thanks for posting this.

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

sheepie262

Thanks for posting this Mr. Pink. I'm not active in these forums, but saw this topic and had to respond. I too had a bilateral pulmonary embolism this past September. Like you, I had symptoms a week or two before (could barely finish short runs, had to sit down in the middle of a run to catch my breath). I'm in my mid 20's and otherwise healthy and active, so yes it can happen to anyone.

Mr Pink - I hope you are feeling better and wish you a speedy recovery!

thank you for sharing. having blood clots is really not an easy condition, the procedure could be very expensive. It would be good for us if we know some common symptoms of certain condition so that we can somehow prevent its complication and we can easily decide to consult a doctor.

we should prioritize our health and body. my site

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Awesome timing. 12 years ago I had a DVT/PE post-op following ACL surgery.  I tore my ACL in the other knee last week. My surgeon expects a hypercoagulopathy workup prior to surgery next month.

My DVT became symptomatic about 3 days post-op with a dark leg when standing. The pain was excruciating if I was up long. At the hospital the sonographer gasped at the findings. During that night I awoke to sudden, sharp chest pain. I was stable and it was not a clinically significant PE, luckily.

Glad to hear that you survived your PE Mr Pink

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete