So, is it cheap to consider mowing the lawn "cross training"? (Read 2010 times)

Personally, I log things like mowing the lawn or shoveling snow since I like to be able to look at my log and see what my overall activity level was for a week at a glance.  I just put all that stuff under "Yard Work".

Just be aware that if you get a log stalker they might make fun of you. If you don't care about that (as MikeyMike said, it's your training log) then I say go for it.  If you don't think you'll actually care, then don't waste the effort.

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

If you think it's affecting your running, feel free to log it. Especially if you're one to go back and look at your training after a significant event, which to me is the whole point of the log.

What I suggest you avoid is entering it as running. Enter it as another activity, I do that with weight-loaded walking (professional hazard)

I know a guy who entered stationary cycling as running miles at ½ or ¼ rate or something like that, just to pad his mileage totals. That's kind of silly, because you didn't run.

Craig

FastTalkingFatty

See I wouldnt log it for that reason, nobody is looking at my log that closely. I used to have a logstalker but sadly he stopped running or stalking or maybe both. 

Someone else mentioned log-stalkers and I have to say it gives me the creeps to think they exist.  I keep my log open as a show of trust to the community and in case I ever need advice, but mainly out of trust. 

Anyway to the original question: log anything you want to log, just don't do it to pad your running miles, that's cheap. On my log, I have all sorts of types of runs and activities that only mean something to me.  So FU to log-stalkers or any kind of stalkers for that matter.

<www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

What exactly constitutes log stalking?  I like to look at people's logs - they usually impress me and encourage me to try harder!  I also enjoy reading people's comments on their runs.  Maybe I'm a log stalker and didn't realize it!

I like to look at people's logs - they usually impress me and encourage me to try harder!  I also enjoy reading people's comments on their runs.  Maybe I'm a log stalker and didn't realize it!

You are definitely a log-stalker - as am I.

This is the definition that I think most people would use for a log-stalker on RA.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

FastTalkingFatty

Just be aware that if you get a log stalker they might make fun of you. If you don't care about that (as MikeyMike said, it's your training log) then I say go for it.  If you don't think you'll actually care, then don't waste the effort.

It's the making fun of part that's creepy.

<www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/

A Saucy Wench

Someone else mentioned log-stalkers and I have to say it gives me the creeps to think they exist.  I keep my log open as a show of trust to the community and in case I ever need advice, but mainly out of trust. 

RA Log stalkers in general are not creepy.  Someone just starts getting interested in how a particular person progressed and starts checking periodically.  Usually its more a sign of repect than anything else.  I think there may be a high occurrence of logstalking Dopplebock .  Or maybe that is just too intimidating.   Oh wait, did I just confess to stalking DB?  Nevermind, move along.

As for the making fun of part....R2W is in the swamp.  If you are in the swamp then you will be made fun of in some capacity at some point about something.  It is a given Log stalking is just a bonus area. Non-swampies are not going to suddenly be blindsided by logstalking jokes unless they specifically open themselves up for it. (Like I do see the potential for Rumrunner to get called out if he does log lawnmowing, now that HE brought it up.)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

But R2W is a freak. One mile on the first, two miles on the second, three miles on the third -- what a lunatic.

And i say this with the greatest of respect.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Logstalking: is this some new activity when you try to sneak up on your own #2 after going to the bathroom?
                    BeeRunB

Personally, I log things like mowing the lawn or shoveling snow since I like to be able to look at my log and see what my overall activity level was for a week at a glance.  I just put all that stuff under "Yard Work".

I do the same thing. It adds to the training load. A few hours of walking, lifiting, digging, pushing, and pulling is a workout.

It can get to be heavy, sometimes necessitating a rest from running that day or the next.

--Jimmy

Log stalking is one of the things that distinguishes RA from other sites.  I check on most people who write a race report to see what they have done right or wrong and correlate that to their race experience.  I check any BQ performance to see what it takes to get there.  I check fast runners logs whenever I feel sorry for my running . My log gets me out the door sometimes because of that stupid Pace bunny.
                          It's important to remember that there are no prizes for having a really impressive running log.  Races matter, not much else.  If you feel like mowing your lawn was an important part of your training, then put it in your log.  It's your log.

I pretty much just log running, but to each his own.

There aren't too many prizes for really impressive looking lawns either! But, that doesn't stop me from wanting plush green grass!

Scout7

There aren't too many prizes for really impressive looking lawns either! But, that doesn't stop me from wanting plush green grass!

There is financial incentive.  Most places can issue fines if your yard becomes a nuisance.  However, there is no monetary incentive for logging or not.

xor

Here in the PNW you can make some good coin for logging your land.  You can also get fined way big if you do it incorrectly or mess with wildlife like our friend the spotted owl.

I can see this site is a very... colorful place to hang out. Smile

Thanks for the welcome, the advice, and the entertainment.

Step by step Mile by mile Day by day