I know the answer, I just need to hear it... (Read 380 times)

bhearn

So to answer your question: "you haven't indicated how any of that actually informs your training".   As I explained in my other post from earlier this morning, I also had the same thoughts as the OP.  So how has the science part helped me?

I think the point others have made is basically that there's a pretty big gap between the cellular biophysics stuff and knowledge you actually use in training, which comes more from empirically determined rules of thumb, experience, and a healthy dose of common sense.

I'm with you; I read all I can about the physiology of running, in an attempt to understand it better, and see what I can leverage in my training. And that makes it fun and interesting. But if I'm honest, it's mostly the other factors I mentioned that determine how I train and race. Not only is the fundamental science just not really completely understood yet, but connecting that to your own performance is hampered by lack of good personal data. It would be cool to know, real time, what my blood lactate, blood glucose, blood sodium, and a million other things were. Then maybe I could try to correlate that to what I did, how I felt, and what my results were. But we're not there yet.

The one exception, in my personal experience, might be the results I've seen from going low-carb for my ultra training. I've read all the... uh, "science"... and I have models in my head that connect the putative physiology to things I actually experience. But I have no real evidence that the models are right, or that they are playing out in me as I think they are.

The Running Stan

Sorry, was just trying to be funny.

That's not really where I was going with that. I'm trying to say that people around here like to focus on the BIG picture, not miss the forest for the trees, take in the physio-babble let it wash over you and then let it go.

Joann Y

Sorry, was just trying to be funny.

I'm sorry. I thought you were only interested in serious replies.

The Running Stan

I can appreciate humor as well.  I did laugh when I first saw when someone posted that pic from the BM and said -It worked for this guy.

I'm sorry. I thought you were only interested in serious replies.

Joann Y

I can appreciate humor as well.  I did laugh when I first saw when someone posted that pic from the BM and said -It worked for this guy.

Sometimes I have a sense of humor too (like every time you type BM I think "BM"). The point is that you have done a lot of reading and understanding and memorizing and running and do you or don't you want to move onto the next stage of being a runner. If you would just slow down a second and open your ears and eyes you might see that some folks around you are trying to show you The Way and you're not paying attention.

#artbydmcbride

You mean I can't just read about this stuff and then just show up to a race and figure I get a PR?   Well that just sucks.

---is it too early for snarky sarcastic comments from me?

Never too early, brah!  Smile

I am a firm advocate of analyzing the heck out of my performances in order to get faster!  ...hasn't worked well yet, though......yrt..

Runners run

xhristopher

Never too early, brah!  Smile

I am a firm advocate of analyzing the heck out of my performances in order to get faster!  ...hasn't worked well yet, though......yrt..

You can't fool us. I heard you are going to the trials this year.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Decide to message him instead.Stoshew71

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/