Three questions (Read 182 times)

Daniel

I'm running in a 5k/ half marathon this next weekend and selling some advice. Any and all help is welcome.

What do I need to be doing when I begin to taper the rest of this week and next? I ran my last long run on Sunday morning as a practice run and have run some short distances and speed work this week.

What do I need to do to be prepared nutritionally for both races? 5k Friday night half next morning.

What advice do you have for pacing myself and not dying? I was hoping for a 1:50 half marathon time. The 5k is what has me worried

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I've done this a few times. If the half is your priority, then taper as you would for that race and run the 5k as a training run. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

SMART Approach

Which is your goal race? Racing a 5K 12 hours before a half marathon will negatively affect performance for your half marathon? Doing the 5K as a fun run with perhaps the last 400-800m faster would actually provide a nice blood volume bump but racing the whole race sets you up for  a performance decrease the next morning unless you are high mileage runner with extensive racing experience.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

I'm running in a 5k/ half marathon this next weekend and selling some advice. Any and all help is welcome.

What do I need to be doing when I begin to taper the rest of this week and next? I ran my last long run on Sunday morning as a practice run and have run some short distances and speed work this week.

What do I need to do to be prepared nutritionally for both races? 5k Friday night half next morning.

What advice do you have for pacing myself and not dying? I was hoping for a 1:50 half marathon time. The 5k is what has me worried

Sounds like your HM is your priority.  I've done this a couple of times.  Once before a HM and once before a full marathon.  Both times I did not go all out on the 5K.  Since I train/run using heart rate, I kept the heart rate down into my zone 3 area during the 5K throughout much of the race.  Only the last several hundred meters did I kick up the speed at the finish.

Last year I ran a 10K and HM on back-to-back days.  PR'd both races but both were run under control.  I had a sub 50-minute goal for the 10K for qualification purposes and the HM was my last race to run prior to a marathon three weeks later.  My goal was to use the HM as a fast training run at marathon pace.  Most of the  nutritional prep should come over the couple before the races.  The 5K the night before will sap some of the glycogen stores depending upon how hard you run.  Don't over eat after the 5K, but do focus on your choice of useful carbs after the race to at least allow your body to restore much of your stores overnight.  I usually choose a baked potato or two with very little butter and lite sour cream.  But that's what works for me.

Good luck!

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335

Daniel

Which is your goal race? Racing a 5K 12 hours before a half marathon will negatively affect performance for your half marathon? Doing the 5K as a fun run with perhaps the last 400-800m faster would actually provide a nice blood volume bump but racing the whole race sets you up for  a performance decrease the next morning unless you are high mileage runner with extensive racing experience.

The half is definitely my goal race as I've been training for the distance over the past three months. I've done well in 5k races overt the summer and need to get back from when I blew my first half in the spring. I've run two 13(+ a little) mile runs over the past month and felt good during them both around the 1:50 mark. I'm hoping to do that again this next weekend. I've got another half in October, but I really want to go into that one with a new time to beat and not feeling defeated.

SMART Approach

To be frank, to do your best in half, do not race the 5K. Perfectly fine to run as a primer and blood vilume enhancer but other than a faster finish final 800m or 1 mile (but not all out) of the 5k, it is not wise to run the 5K all out. You put too much time into the half training.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Daniel

To be frank, to do your best in half, do not race the 5K. Perfectly fine to run as a primer and blood vilume enhancer but other than a faster finish final 800m or 1 mile (but not all out) of the 5k, it is not wise to run the 5K all out. You put too much time into the half training.

Thanks, I had already decided just to take it easy on the 5k after reading all the comments. I didn't think I would want to run it hard since my focus is on the half, but I want sure if it was a big deal or if I could do anything else to keep me focused for the next day. I have been working in my training runs to do that much distance back to back but they have been training runs and not the actual race. So far the weather is looking to be awesome for the race and should be a pretty run.

I'm getting excited about it now and just hoping I don't get over excited about it