Running in the heat (Read 845 times)

Its starting to heat up down in Texas and I'm trying to adapt to running in the warmer temperatures. Can anyone suggest anything that can make running in the heat easier? Ive seen hats, bandannas and other gear that claims to keep you cool but I'm not sure if they are worth the money. Thanks in advance for any help, Adam
      Its starting to heat up down in Texas and I'm trying to adapt to running in the warmer temperatures. Can anyone suggest anything that can make running in the heat easier? Ive seen hats, bandannas and other gear that claims to keep you cool but I'm not sure if they are worth the money. Thanks in advance for any help, Adam
      Also a Texas runner, here. I avoid running mid-day like the plague. I do the majority of my running later at night - like after 9pm. Not only does this let you avoid the direct sun beating down on you - but when July and August roll around - it's a (relatively) cool 85 or 90 at that hour instead of the 100+ of the day. Regardless of where you live, hydration is important. In the hot Texas summer - even more so. Make sure to drink plenty of water all day. I recommend a hat to keep the sun at bay as well as to keep the sweat out of your eyes. Or at least most of it anyway. I like the dry-fit / running type type hats - it lets more air in - dries faster - and won't fall apart as fast as your typical baseball hat. IMO - the dryfit type hats are worth the money. My most important piece of running gear, after my shoes of course, is my water bottle. I use a hand-held one for everyday running and also another one on a belt for long runs when I'm not sure my 20oz bottle will make it between water fountains or convenience stores. MTA - Regarding shoes. Make sure you have at least two pairs to rotate between. There are lots of other reasons that shoe rotation is good. But in the summer - the most important reason for me - is that my shoes get completely soaked with sweat. It's really nice to have a dry pair of shoes for the next day's run. Less funk, no blisters, etc.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

85-90?? Oh, my goodness, if I hadn't moved away from Texas, I would still be a couch potato.
        derek

Its starting to heat up down in Texas and I'm trying to adapt to running in the warmer temperatures. Can anyone suggest anything that can make running in the heat easier?
          I'm in the DFW area. I had the same problem this week. I've been running in the afternoons, around 5pm or so and it's been fine up until the latter half of this week. I ran this morning at around 8am and it was 57. I plan to switch to running in the morning from next week. Derek

Derek

I plan on switching to mornings, not sure when though. It was about 80 degrees today, much hotter than it's been lately.
              When it gets really hot in the Summer I wrap ice in a bandana/scarf and tie it around my neck. Keeping my neck cool helps. I like the Under Armor "heat gear" too. It works pretty well. Also, I got this shirt on sale (Columbia Titanium with UV protection) which has little ridges which are supposed to wick the sweat better. Run in the shade if you can to save 5-10 degrees and your skin from the sun. The brand of sunscreen you use does have an effect on how hot you feel. One time I used some very heavy, oily sunscreen and I felt like my face was on fire and I was suffocating. I spent the extra money on Neutrogena brand next time around. That stuff really works well for me.
                This year, I am going to try running with cool wicking clothes! I just hate washing more clothes. Any of you notice fabric softeners reducing the cool wicking properties of your clothes?

Vim

As a runner in the Deep South, my tip is to wear as little as modesty allows. Like others have said, keep your runs to first thing in the morning or right before dark. Hydrate during the non-running times of the day and plan your water stops during your runs. I find a hat makes me hotter despite how vented it may be. Others differ on that opinion so you'll just have to see what works for you.
                    I live in Louisiana. Once April hits, it feels like you have a blanket wrapped around you while you are running. It's humid and hot, and it sucks, but you have to not let it drag you down too much. I think a big part of it is mental. Last summer when I had to run during the heat of the day I just took it easy and didn't stress about it. If you start your run thinking "oh my god this heat is gonna kill me I can't take it" then you probably can't. Just don't overdo it, and if you need to walk or get in the shade a take a break for a few minutes, do it. Take plenty to drink. It's very manageable.
                      I live in Atlanta. Through the winter I was a lunchtime runner, but the spring and summer turns me into an early morning runner. My upper threshhold is around 84 degrees which usually hits around 9 or 10 am during the dog days. If properly hydrated a good hot run can feel good, as long as there are some trees and not on black asphalt. But in the summertime here, my 5:30 AM runs are right at the dewpoint so humidity in the 90's, temps sometimes into the high 70's. And still air - it's too thick to move. Undecided MTA - during the peak summer weeks, I find it impossible even to run in the evening, as it will not drop below 85 till 9 or 10 PM sometimes. At which point I've given in and had dinner and/or a couple of beers.
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Keep talking! You're making me like Maine more and more. I checked, and our HIGHEST "average low temp" is 60 degrees - that lasts for two days in July. Our highest "average high temp" is 80 degrees, and that lasts for 8 days in July. By August, we're cooling off again. Now if the snow on our private road would melt enough for the mail to be delivered, I would be happy! Smile

Running Dad

This year, I am going to try running with cool wicking clothes! I just hate washing more clothes. Any of you notice fabric softeners reducing the cool wicking properties of your clothes?
                          I've never noticed a problem with the wicking part but like a lot of people here have said it's the smell.. No matter how much I wash them as soon as I start to sweat in some of my oldest stuff it gets this nice 'funk' by the end of the run.. People have mentioned special detergents.. Think I'll give one of those a try with my new stuff if I can remember to get it..
                          Things to do this year:
                          Not get an injury
                          Things done this year:
                          Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??

The Greatest of All Time

I lived in Austin for 4 years so I know what you're going through. I wore nothing but shorts, socks, and shoes. I also tried to run in the shade as much as possible. I used to run from campus to Town Lake and around a couple of time during mid-afternoon and I was of a very few running at that time (for good reason). Sugar Land is over by Houston, correct? I imagine the humidity is as bad as the heat. I am not one for buying 'gear' to make running in the heat easier, I just wore less clothes. A hat is always a good idea though and really cheap. I just bought a Nike Dri Fit cap for $20 at Dick's. Drink, drink, drink, drink and I don't mean beer. Hook 'Em!
                            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Marcus, it's no longer "Town Lake," but "Lady Bird Lake," in case you make a trip back there!

The Greatest of All Time

Marcus, it's no longer "Town Lake," but "Lady Bird Lake," in case you make a trip back there!
                                I refuse to change the name in my head. Not gonna do it..no, no, no.
                                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.