C1650 - Nordictrack direct ($999 + $485/iFit) vs thru SearsOnline ($1239)? (Read 28 times)

microman2012

Just curious.  I'm told by NordicTrack that most of the models require purchase of 1-yr iFit subscription ($39/month = $485/yr).  I was looking at the C-1650 which is showing up as $999 at NordicTrack but with iFit = $1,484.

But looking at Sears Online, that same model is $1,239 and no mention of iFit (I know Nordictrack adds it later into the purchase process, which I find distasteful if not outright deceptive).  So I called Sears and asked if somewhere in their online purchase process are you required to buy the iFit subscription... all I was interested in was the 10-inch color display with Wi-Fi access to free youtube running videos.  Sears told me no to the iFit, but said that model was wifi disabled?  I said what? (deal breaker), it says wifi enabled on the advertisement page.

Can anyone tell me if they bought their NordictTrack through Sears and did they have Wi-Fi without the iFit?  Thanks.

npaden

Wow.  When I bought mine I think iFit was $80 for a year.  I didn't even think it was worth that and have never renewed after the first year.

No idea on the different models and what they have though.  I'm not sure having Wi-Fi makes much difference either to me.  I watch my own TV with bluetooth headphones when I'm running on mine.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Marylander

That treadmill is $999 on amazon with no requirement for ifit sub.

microman2012

Well, I didn't want it, but I want to make sure I get Wi-Fi so I can access free Virtual Running Videos on YouTube on their 10-inch pallet screen.  My other option is to get a lower level treadmill and possibly get a computer monitor with my extra older PC nearby and put a nice 26-inch PC monitor on the wall showing those nice 4k virtual running videos.  Makes a big difference to me on how easily I can run farther when stairing down a path of a wooded forest rather than my blank wall :-).  But it's scary reading all the bad units that people have received.  I'm hoping it's more of only the bad ones complain and hope the represent the minority of units sold.

My 20-yr old NordicTrack which never gave us any problems still recently, just started smelling of burned rubber....I lubricated the main belt, changed out the motor belt, but its still doing that; might be one of the two circuit boards; motor looks good and not hot).  I think I might give another shot to fix it myself, bringing home an infrared temperature gun with 8 infrared dots and will have wife check out the various uncovered housing while I'm running and see if she can detect some 'hot spots' on the boards/motor.

microman2012

Can they disable Wi-Fi?  Sears told me that their unit, which also did not have the iFit requirement, but cost $1,235 instead of $999, and the Sears tech guy said that wifi was disabled, but I couldn't believe it since the advertisement page for the online add said Wifi-enabled?  I'll try and call Amazon..

That treadmill is $999 on amazon with no requirement for ifit sub.

Marylander

Note that what you're really talking about here is an Icon treadmill. It seems like most treadmills are made by Icon now and marketed under various brands. So, it's possible that this isn't exactly the same brand/company as your old treadmill due to the acquisition by Icon. I bought a new treadmill myself recently and it is a ProForm branded Icon.

microman2012

Yea, they must have bought multiple brands under the Icon banner.

I think I found the fault in my old Nordictrack EXP 1000S.  I brought my infrared temperature gun home from work and opened the cover over the motor/circuit boards, and did a scan before turning it on....all temps were 66*F.  Then I plugged the machine in, and simply turned it on to get the console to light up, did not run it.....waited for 3 minutes and then scanned again....found a rectangular white 'chip' (about 1/4in x 1inch) near the big round cylinder that looks like a D-battery, that white chip went up to 180oF just from being on without the running mat rotating.

Note that what you're really talking about here is an Icon treadmill. It seems like most treadmills are made by Icon now and marketed under various brands. So, it's possible that this isn't exactly the same brand/company as your old treadmill due to the acquisition by Icon. I bought a new treadmill myself recently and it is a ProForm branded Icon.

microman2012

Lol, my NordicTrack EXP 1000S is 20 yrs old and I just looked at the user manual and on the back/bottom is says NordicTrack is owned by ICON (not exact words).  So even way back then it was ICON.  I'm pretty sure they're being manufactured by same place, just sticking different branding on them....wonder if that is to capture greater share of market by people who hear something bad about the one and think, well, they'll buy the 'other' brand, not realizing it's actually the same company.