Paul Ryan Says He’s Run Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 1924 times)

Feeling the growl again

The error is not an error of an hour mis-estimate. It is a fairly substantial error, of 25% or 33%, depending on the direction of your math. And it is the difference between a fairly mediocre time for a 20 year old college athlete and a fairly respectable time. AND given the national spotlight, any assertion of talent, experience and skill needs to be fairly close to the truth, if not clearly the truth.

The average voter does not know the difference between a sub-4 or a sub-3....not do they likely care.  

So here's an analogy.  15 years ago I was a fairly serious competitive shooter.  My team finished 6th in the nation one year.  Immediately after that, I left the sport (competitively, anyways) and focused on running.  If someone did an interview and asked me what I'd scored back then, I could throw out my best recollection of what sort of scores I shot.  Off the top of my head right now, I had to think for a couple minutes to even remember how the scoring was done.  So whatever number I throw out is going to be wrong.  The average person won't know or give a hoot, but I guess if I were running for office the smallbore shooters internet forums would rake me over hot coals for being such a liar.  I'm sure each of them has their "PR" etched in their brain.

Yawn.  Whatever.  I have more important things to consider in voting than whether someone can accurately remember a 20 year old race result.  It's not like the dude claimed he invented the internet or something.  I think one would remember something like that.

MTA:  I revolved my life around the marathon for ~6 years and I can't for the life of me remember the Xs in 2:28:XX....not quite as bad as getting the hour number wrong but I'm sure I took it a lot more seriously than him too.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Maybe, it's more like saying "I bowled a 260" without realizing that the highest score is a 300 (and thinking it was a 400, but not remembering since you haven't thought about bowling alley since you quit smoking in 1990).

I don't bowl. So I may be off base. But I'd think that if you were a skilled bowler who has worked a while (years?) to get to where you could bowl a 260, you would not likely screw that up on a national stage. And if you never were a good bowler, but were referring to your bowling mediocrity from years before, you'd make sure that you did not exaggerate.

It was likely a slip of the tongue.

Again. A major politician on the national stage who demonstrably lied and mislead millions of people several times just two days before should not be making this kind of mistake. He should be fighting hard to present the truth...

...unless, as suggested above, he doesn't care about or respect those millions of people.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So here's an analogy. ..

I hear you. The average voter likely does not know as much about the US budget as Ryan does either. But if he is going to make assertions about his skills and plans, he ought to try to get it right...

...especially so recently after even Fox admitted to his lying to and misleading us all in his big speech in Tampa.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, it's not about his marathon time. It's about his credibility. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

whatever number I throw out is going to be wrong

I hear you here too. So when you run for veep, and then get asked about your shooting prowess, what is wrong with simply showing a little honesty and saying that you shot fair to middlin, but don't remember your best target?

Feeling the growl again

Again. A major politician on the national stage who demonstrably lied and mislead millions of people several times just two days before should not be making this kind of mistake. He should be fighting hard to present the truth...

...unless, as suggested above, he doesn't care about or respect those millions of people.

Let's not pretend any of these people consistently telling the truth.  Deliberate?  Accidental?  Human?  

Nah.  We all know politicans aren't human.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

I hear you here too. So when you run for veep, and then get asked about your shooting prowess, what is wrong with simply showing a little honesty and saying that you shot fair to middlin, but don't remember your best target?

Well, it wasn't fair to middlin, but I get your point.

It's one thing to say what you'd do when you have time to sit and read and think about it.  It's another when you're being asked questions you may not have expected and answer in seconds before you have time to fully thing through your replies.  Yes, they should try to be accurate, it is just hard not to make a slip here and there.  When you have thousands of people picking apart everything you say, it is unrealistic to expect the sort of perfection you seem to expect of him.  We could do this to just about any politician.

bhearn

Please tell me how this could be anything other than deliberate. Even if he somehow couldn't remember whether it was sub-3 or (not quite) sub-4, would he have remembered 4:01 as "fast"?

HH: I’ve just gotta ask, what’s your personal best?
                    PR: Under three, high twos. I had a two hour and fifty-something.
                    HH: Holy smokes. All right, now you go down to Miami University…
                    PR: I was fast when I was younger, yeah.

Turbolegs

Hey, I ran Monkey in 2:50-something as well. Specifically, 2:50 and 35 minutes.

Hahaha !! Smile

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Let's not pretend any of these people consistently telling the truth.  Deliberate?  Accidental?  Human?

Two wrongs don't make a right Wink

MTA: and again, right now we are not talking about a few lies and misrepresentations scattered over a few years. We are talking about a fairly large sackful in just the past 48 hours, and across multiple venues. AND from somebody who talks about how he has deep integrity.

dennrunner

Maybe he just mixed up his marathon time with his half mile (800m) time.

Feeling the growl again

Please tell me how this could be anything other than deliberate. Even if he somehow couldn't remember whether it was sub-3 or (not quite) sub-4, would he have remembered 4:01 as "fast"?

I know lots of people for whom a 4hr marathon is considered fast.  This is why I don't even bother telling people at work what my marathon times are.  Most can't appreciate the difference.

Please tell me how anyone  could think that they could deliberately lie about a race time, obviously recorded somewhere, by a full hour, and not get called on it?

It seems like a huge mistake to us running geeks.  I don't think Paul Ryan is a running geek.

Feeling the growl again

MTA: and again, right now we are not talking about a few lies and misrepresentations scattered over a few years. We are talking about a fairly large sackful in just the past 48 hours, and across multiple venues. AND from somebody who talks about how he has deep integrity.

Dude we could bat this around all night.  It all depends on your perspective.

(Note I have not wasted my time watching a bunch of RNC speeches so I really don't have a horse in this race.  My son started talking today so I had more interesting things to listen to)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Please tell me how anyone  could think that they could deliberately lie about a race time, obviously recorded somewhere, by a full hour, and not get called on it?

Ilene answered this already:

It would depend on how gullible he thought his target audience was, I guess.

If he does not respect us enough to care, then why would it matter to him?

My son started talking today

I'm sorry to hear this Wink