2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

kcam

This is local to where I live. I know the dog owners and have met Famiglietti a couple of times. The video in the article is kind of fun to watch.

Anthony Famiglietti Fastest Mile With a Dog Record

I saw that on LR.  Little drama in the middle when the dog got distracted by the drone ... gotta love dogs!

AceHarris

Well , Brew is a man of his word. Got my package today for “winning” our race to 2,000 miles. Pretty awesome! Thanks man! I’d post a pic, but I still can’t figure out how to do that.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well , Brew is a man of his word. Got my package today for “winning” our race to 2,000 miles. Pretty awesome! Thanks man! I’d post a pic, but I still can’t figure out how to do that.

In other news....Ace recently postponed training.

Sorry I couldn’t get any stickers or other fun stuff. There was so much I wanted to send. Feel free to keep the box for future use. It worked out pretty well. Glad it all showed up unharmed.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The dog mile thing was pretty cool.  I didn't realize that running with a dog could actually make one faster until it was explained to me that the dog pulling can serve as an "assist."

Dumping off my week:

My week: 60 miles,16 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming:
          M: Yoga and 8 "miles" pool-running
          T: 12 miles, including 3x1600, 2x200 in 6:20, 6:14, 6:10 (400m jog between) then full recovery before 2x200 in 41 and 42.  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
          W: 6 miles very easy (9:21), yoga, and 6 miles very easy (8:50) plus drills/strides
          Th: upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" pool-running.
          F: 12 miles, including a 4 mile (6400m) tempo on the track in 25:48  (6:39/6:29/6:23/6:17).  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
          Sa: 10 miles very easy (8:23) followed by drills and strides, and then upper body weights/core and some DIY yoga.
          Su:  14 progressive, split as first 4 averaging 8:33, next 4 averaging 7:24, last 6 averaging 6:49.   Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.

Racing this coming Saturday.  I had plans to fly down to Florida and do the Gasparilla 8K, but I'm 99% sure I'm skipping - I'll stay up here and do something else instead.  The weather forecast for Tampa is for 70 degrees with 68 degree dew point.  If I want to race in that, I can just pick a DC summer/fall race.  Plus, I'm remarkably unacclimated for that weather right now.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Dwave:  Yeah, I think I'd skip that one, too.

Hey all...another stressful week for me, so haven't been around much...

This week in academia:  So after last semester, one of my administrators 1) indicated that the primary reason so many students failed my class was due to my poor teaching, and 2) overrode my grades for some students by letting them continue on in the sequence that I teach without my consent.  This past week I was accused (by a different administrator) of grade inflation.  I think I'm done here...

Cutback week for me, after three 60-mile weeks...

M:  Rest

T:  10 easy

W:  Rest

T:  4 w/2 x 5min tempo-ish intervals

F:  Rest

S:  8 w/1-mile tempo

S:  8 moderate w/some hills

Total:  30M.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

This week in academia:  So after last semester, one of my administrators 1) indicated that the primary reason so many students failed my class was due to my poor teaching, and 2) overrode my grades for some students by letting them continue on in the sequence that I teach without my consent.  This past week I was accused (by a different administrator) of grade inflation.  

*shakes head in disgust*

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

How can’t they change grades and not see who changed them? Administrator #2 should have asked the “IT People” to see who actually changed the grades. I doubt anything negative will happen to Admin #1. I applied for two more jobs Friday myself. Solid week of training.

Dwave:  Yeah, I think I'd skip that one, too.

Hey all...another stressful week for me, so haven't been around much...

This week in academia:  So after last semester, one of my administrators 1) indicated that the primary reason so many students failed my class was due to my poor teaching, and 2) overrode my grades for some students by letting them continue on in the sequence that I teach without my consent.  This past week I was accused (by a different administrator) of grade inflation.  I think I'm done here...

Cutback week for me, after three 60-mile weeks...

M:  Rest

T:  10 easy

W:  Rest

T:  4 w/2 x 5min tempo-ish intervals

F:  Rest

S:  8 w/1-mile tempo

S:  8 moderate w/some hills

Total:  30M.

Show is bullsheet at this point. Another 10” fell yesterday. One of those “ it will lightly snow all day long so no one will do anything about it until dinner time” storms. I’m more pissed the spot I’d do my workouts won’t be clear, and it’s potentially freezing temperatures this week. Marathon training sucks.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Nice week. I'd skip that one as well, given the travel. I don't enjoy racing in those conditions at all.

OMR - Wow. Just wow. Nice cutback week, though.

Brew - Wishing you hadn't gotten rid of that TM now?? "Another 10" of snow", said no Oklahoman ever. We are supposed to get 2-3" tomorrow, but they keep pushing back when they think it will show up. My guess will be "never".

Me - Decent week at a touch over 50k over 4 days, all easy. I managed to make it to the local running club group run (a bit late), but still managed to find someone I knew to run a few miles along the river trails with. It was nice to have someone to run with again.
                  Conditions were a bit interesting - ~20* with a bit of a north wind. Nothing too bad to run in (though I wish I had better mittens), but fog and mist rising off the river ended up freezing to all of the trees on the south side of the river, while the north side was clear. Typically the club does most of their runs on the south side of the river (no idea why, since they're essentially the same as the north side), but we were on the North side Saturday and running conditions were quite a bit different for the different paths.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

runethechamp

Time for me to check in here I figured. My name is Rune and I can do a full introduction once I start running again, but right now I am trying to get my hamstring tendon to heal so I am sticking with swimming these days. It sounds like I have a very similar injury as Pesto and Kcam, and it's been a real pain in the ass, both literally and figuratively. I noticed it in August first, kind of ignored it as it never was much more than a dull pain and it didn't seem to get worse (although it probably did), and finally saw a doctor after I was done in Amsterdam in October. Left proximal hamstring tendinosis, or tendinopathy is the verdict, and I'm now 4 months removed from any real type of running. I've had a couple of setbacks, first due to some overzealous strength training around the new year, then because I had to run a short distance (it kind of was an emergency). I will try to check in here and there to see what's going on and give updates about my progress. I guess I could post my swimming logs but that wouldn't make very much sense here 

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - Wishing you hadn't gotten rid of that TM now?? "Another 10" of snow", said no Oklahoman ever. We are supposed to get 2-3" tomorrow, but they keep pushing back when they think it will show up. My guess will be "never".

Sometimes. I told DW I could have done my 16 miler watching the Daytona 500 (yes I'm that Redneck) at her moms. 120" screen watching cars turn left in two single file lines for a few hours is "entertaining" to me. Ironically a friend traveled to Las Vegas this weekend and said it rained. He didn't do much of his long run as he was stuck on the treadmill. He's a "former cross-fitter" in my eyes.

Also this. Technically it happens annually (Mt. Charleston is "in" Las Vegas) but this was at the airport. I'm sure all of the locals freaked DAFAWK out and took selfies with "all the snow" they received. Also, driving probably sucked since no one knows how to drive in Vegas.

ace I kind of forgot how much I sent you.

Speed work today. I REALLY need to find out a way to count the number of Saturdays until April 27. I thought there was 9. It appears I'm in TRAINING WEEK 9 and there are 9-11 Saturdays left. 18 week plans need better instructions on when to start. Also, Saturday marathons are kind of annoying when training day is centered around Sunday races. It makes scheduling speed work annoying. If only garmin had a calendar to load everything in. Lastly, I noticed the actual screen of my watch cracked. Not just the plastic faceplate/screen cover on it. I'm holding out becuase I know I don't need 90% of the tech this watch has and the Fenix 5s is too expensive until I BQ and have to hang out with max in June.

Oh yeah, I entered a 3:00-3:19 group. I didn't want anyone here to think I was trying to hide that. Wink

VDOT 53.37 

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

Academia is for suckers.

(on my 2nd screen I have the slide deck I am working on for my professor job interview in the UK next week...)

My week

M - SRD

T - 45min bike at the gym, terrible weather

W - 45min run

T - 45 min run

F - 45min run

S - again, 45min bike

S - 1h10 run

all slow miles, 9:20 or so on average.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

kcam

Rune - I ignored my pain in the ass too, probably for about 8 months while I foolishly thought I could whip myself into good marathon shape despite that pain.  I finally gave it up after a tune-up race where I just realized it wasn't good to be fighting it.   I took off 3 full months from running (Oct, Nov, Dec 2018) and it still didn't get that high hamstring thing completely fixed.  I started back running in January and also, coincidentally, started heating the shit out of my hamstring.  Couple times a night and also on the way to work in the morning.  Guess what?  All the f'ing rolling and massaging and bridges and BS didnt fix it but that heating - f'in eh - I have zero pain or niggle with that hamstring now.  I use those pads for heating your back, throw it in the microwave for 3 minutes then sit on it.  It's great for using it when driving to a workout.  You get there with your hamstring all warmed up and ready to go.  I since bought an electric one for use at home.  Very happy now.

My week - got in only 32 miles but there was some very good 'quality' in there.  A 6X1000 at 5K pace workout and a 5.6 mile super hilly run at tempo pace.  I have a 5K coming up this Sunday and I am starting to feel good.  Did a final workout of 4X1200 at 5K pace followed by 4X200 at faster than that today over my lunch break.  Nothing but easy for the rest of the week, with some strides on Thursday.  Bring it on!

AceHarris

kcam: nice quality work this week

rune: good to hear from you. I saw the swimming on strava and was wondering how things were going.

I actually hit 40 miles last week with one quality session.

Tuesday: 3 easy, 4T (6:33,6:31,6:25,6:25), 3 easy

F: 8 easy

Sat: 7 easy and a long work day

Sun: 15 easy with some tight hip flexors

Also added some more single leg strength work. Trying to keep these glutes firing.

had planned a workout today, but gave the hips a rest. 10 easy and some strides

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Rune - I ignored my pain in the ass too, probably for about 8 months while I foolishly thought I could whip myself into good marathon shape despite that pain.  I finally gave it up after a tune-up race where I just realized it wasn't good to be fighting it.   I took off 3 full months from running (Oct, Nov, Dec 2018) and it still didn't get that high hamstring thing completely fixed.  I started back running in January and also, coincidentally, started heating the shit out of my hamstring.  Couple times a night and also on the way to work in the morning.  Guess what?  All the f'ing rolling and massaging and bridges and BS didnt fix it but that heating - f'in eh - I have zero pain or niggle with that hamstring now.  I use those pads for heating your back, throw it in the microwave for 3 minutes then sit on it.  It's great for using it when driving to a workout.  You get there with your hamstring all warmed up and ready to go.  I since bought an electric one for use at home.  Very happy now.

As someone who has also had high hamstring issues - yup, increasing blood flow to that area is the trick, and a heating pad can help.  I did rounds of PRP and prolo, which is the same theory (increasing blood flow to the area), just much more aggressive.  And much more expensive.

Speed Surplus

Speaking of hamstring issues....l;sdgljk;ashdg;lasdgkasldgkasdgsadg

I took a rest day on Monday but chopped about a cord of wood at my family's farm. Now my hamstring hurts.

The last time this happened it took a few days of rest and a few days of very light running + foam rolling to get back to normal. Hoping I can resolve it similarly this time, as I'll be disappointed to lose my current fitness.

My week:

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Feb 11, 2019 thru Sunday, Feb 17, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                                Mon 4.9 8:45 0:42 Getting REAL familiar with this treadmill... 136 (74%) 0 strava
                                Mon 1.2 22:04 0:26 Sledding! 111 (60%) 0 strava
                                Tue 7.2 8:29 1:00 Maybe I'll run outside again, one day... 135 (73%) 0 strava
                                Wed 1.6 9:02 0:14 Track is snowed in Sad 135 (73%) 23 strava
                                Wed 4.7 8:49 0:41 Actually 5 miles hywachahcaskdhsaf 137 (74%) 0 strava
                                Wed 1.0 8:51 0:09 CD 136 (74%) 72 strava
                                Thu 6.9 8:16 0:56 The treadmill sucks for workouts 143 (78%) 0 strava
                                Fri 5.2 8:38 0:45 Recovery effort 132 (72%) 0 strava
                                Sat 5.7 7:42 0:44 Had to run fast to stay warm - pretty happy with pace/hr combo 143 (78%) 102 strava
                                Sun 13.1 7:55 1:43 Relaxed with a med/hard close 142 (77%) 175 strava
                                  51.5 8:37 7:24     372  

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12