2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

mmerkle

JMac Impressive splits. I think your 10k PR needs some serious updating lol.

Running Problem

Problem Child

sc I have a 50 mile trail race/run I'm doing in July. My training plan is "run whatever you want or have time for."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - Nicely executed race and enjoyable report.  I spent at least a full km in my last race arguing with myself about the effort I should be putting in.  I worked out I could cruise to a PR and strongly considered doing that before really telling myself off and pushing it all the way.  I guess there's always that devil on the shoulder trying to get us to slow down.  Glad you were in a zone where you had to go for it.

40 minutes in the corral is painful.  It makes me appreciate the smaller races - we don't get so many people to pace off, but we can roll up reasonably close to start time.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Crushing all goals! And in less-than-ideal temps, too. Very nice.
          Looking forward to a read of the RR when iI have the proper time.

Matt - Congrats! I'm also curious as to DWave's question regarding plated shoes.

JT - Welcome back to posting weeklies. Care to share with the class your goal race?

RP - Awesome that you got your oldest to ride along with you, and a killer LR. Not sure I could really pull that one off now myself.
          I'd love to have one of my kiddos ride along with me on a run but it's so hard to get my kiddos to ride a bike, they just want to ride on those damn scooters...

Pretty decent week that was quite warm through Friday, though we've had a major cold front come through and since then we've had highs equal to our lows earlier in the week and my hard-won Garmin "heat acclimation" is dropping rapidly.

Weekly for period: From: 05/16/2022 To 05/22/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
          in ft
          05/16 8x 1k + 4x 200m 13.30 21.40 01:37:16 07:19 04:33 289
          05/16 1 heron 4.10 6.60 00:33:29 08:10 05:04 167
          05/17 3 rabbits & 1 armadillo 8.10 13.04 01:10:48 08:44 05:26 279
          05/18 1 great horned owl & 1 deer (1 stride) 12.51 20.12 01:46:59 08:33 05:19 591
          05/18 1 herd of jackasses in the sun 4.50 7.24 00:39:00 08:40 05:23 171
          05/19 Overslept and I'm still tired 6.26 10.07 00:55:09 08:49 05:29 203
          05/20 6 progressive miles 11.01 17.71 01:22:19 07:29 04:39 538
          05/20 1 red-eared slider & the school coach 4.05 6.52 00:34:24 08:30 05:17 187
          05/21 Lunch Run 4.15 6.68 00:36:33 08:48 05:28 256
          05/22 2 owls, 2 raccoons, & 1 rabbit 15.15 24.38 02:05:43 08:18 05:09 666

Total distance: 83.13mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac: Nice race report. That sounds like a dramatic last 300 meters!  Reading about the carnage that eventually happened in the heat I guess you were really lucky to get your race done in the first wave. Great result and things are looking good for Grandma's!

Keen: Thanks; nice week from you as usual. My goal race is now Erie, Sept. 11, with a back-up of the Last Chance BQ.2 race in Illinois on Sept. 10. So I need to get my a$$ in shape!

SC: Smart to adjust that longer run down given your hamstring and the heat.

2:52:16 (2018)

Jmac excellent report and execution in that race. That slow 1st mile obviously didn't hurt you and shows you have more time to take off.

Love the crack at the 50 year old guys and their moose mugs 🍺 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

If we get an unusually cool day, it may be a real opportunity to go for 2:34:XX and get a coveted moose mug in my 30s (you know, a hard one to get, not like the participation trophy they give to you guys in your 50s )

As much as I love a great jab and that was a nice one, you don't even have lower back pain at your age smh 😂 life is so much easier in the 30s.

In reality only cyborgs from the cold war era, part of special genetic enhancement programs by their respective British and Soviet governments are capable of moose mugs in their 50s...

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fishyone

Keen- Consistent mileage as always!

J-Mac OUCH that hurt.....Given how far away I am currently from a 50 + moose mug 

JT Training looking really good.

Flavio I was wondering about those 2........

My week was 65 mostly miles.  Gonna just run miles for a few weeks while I decide on next races.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

RP - you're clearly running CIM, you and cal now have an annual tradition that can't be ruined. Maybe sign up for some summer 5Ks? Also isn't part of the draw of WFH the ability to just go do whatever you want in the middle of the day as long as you get work done other times?

SC - as others have said, no big deal on missing the run. It's taper time and not much really matters at this point.

Zebano - it's amazing how all 3 sports in the Tri have had their equipment controversy: swimming with the suits, bikes with the ultra-light frames, and running with the carbon plates

Steve - I always have both on my shoulder. The devil (i.e. your animal instinct) telling you to stop, why deal with all of this pain? The angel is the logic part of you saying "you didn't work this hard over 3 months to give up over just 18 minutes of pain." It's a real struggle in races. That part of running is something none of us can measure: are some runners better at pain tolerance than others, which makes them better runners? We talk about talent all the time, but that's mostly focused on physical. It would be amazing if you could get in others' brains during races and see what they view as pain that is too tough to handle.

JT - I put you down for sub 3:18 for a comfortable BQ

Flavio - Older people telling younger people how lucky they have it: a tale as old as time 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac here is the thing....CIM is typically my son's birthday (weekend). My wife and I literally planned his birthday AROUND CIM. Plus Boston is shortly after and back to back marathon training cycles would be kind of demanding both mentally and physically. 32 weeks of marathon training sounds unappealing.

EDIT: also, watch the shit talking about participation trophies in your 50s. You might just end up incapable of running one day and speak of the days you were once so fast, destroying hobby joggers around Central Park, only to wind up on the sidelines talking about what could have been. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get a moose mug so calling one a "participation trophy" is kind of a dickhead thing to do. I'm not joking when I say I'd covet an actual moose mug, properly earned and gifted to be, probably more than my wedding ring because of the amount of work it involved. Some people have initials after their name. Some people have 10,000 piece puzzles. Some have a race bib with their last name. I (would) have a trophy for "2 hours plus age" running time.

sc You made the right call on the long run. Close enough to race day to want to avoid injuring it. Tight legs could be taper pains, or just old age. Now....if the snow would melt it might help you out.

I just noticed a friend has ramped UP his running mileage. The relay we're running is in two weeks. From April 18 to last week he's done 12, 32, 28, 29, 45. I'm laughing inside because he'd questioned my running (wow you REALLY cut back from marathon training) years ago and now finally understands it. Only to then increase weekly mileage about 50% during what would be taper time for a marathon. Literally no plan besides "I need to run more so I'm in shape." This is why the relay loses so many runners. Non-runners try to become "cheap exercise" runners. Same dude will put over 700 miles on a pair of shoes then say the newest pair are too tight. "Ever thought it is because the ones you had were just so worn out even though the rubber soles still existed? "

My new Pegasus 38s showed up. They are actually roomier than the 37s which makes, for me, it easier to tighten them up. The last model I had to tie off to one side because Nike was so concerned about weight with the Pegausus they made the tongue razor thin then provided just enough shoelace to make a cute little bow right on your "Ankle Tendon" or as most professionals call it tendinous sheeth of the "front of the ankle area" since there are so many. Also the Inferior Exterior Retinaculum. I kind of miss high school anatomy class.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

If we get an unusually cool day, it may be a real opportunity to go for 2:34:XX and get a coveted moose mug in my 30s (you know, a hard one to get, not like the participation trophy they give to you guys in your 50s )

Yeah, I know what you mean and we talked about it a few times. For me, personally, it's absolutely hilarious to even imagine that I am able to run 2:48 at age of 50 and not being able to run 2:34 at age of 35. So, sure - continue to call it "the hard one", but we all know what is the only thing that is harder at age of 35. And maybe we will talk about that again when you are 50 and you give us your perspective .at that time 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Haha RP it's just banter with Mikkey and Cal - clearly it is a huge accomplishment!!! As Fishy has said, we can't get too friendly in here.

Probably the most impressive performance on these pages was Slammin's 2:30 last year at CIM. Maybe some of the OG guys know of something better, but wow. It's a real shame he didn't make it to the beer corral after as it would have been great for you to meet him. In terms of Moose Mugs, was that the best number under your age? Do you guys remember anyone with something bigger than minus 17?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Probably the most impressive performance on these pages was Slammin's 2:30 last year at CIM. 

There was no Slamming at CIM last year. Actually, none of the winners in 45-49 or 50-54 ran 2:30 time. I think you might be thinking about him running CIM in 2019.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yes sorry 2019!

I can't think of a bigger time-under-MM than Boyd's 2:30.

A related question for the old-timers: what was the youngest MM you recall? I only remember "old" people, 40 and older getting them, but maybe there was a young-un like JMac way back who did it...

2:52:16 (2018)