vVO2max vs. Heart Rate @ VO2max (Read 135 times)

Yep, that difference in heart rate would be statistically significant according to the studies I've read regarding changes in HR.

I guess it depends how you define "close".  10bpm is a pretty good distance in my book.  My marathon HR is somewhere around 20-25bpm off max.  My 5K HR is closer to 5-10bpm.  I don't consider 5K pace to be VO2max.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

joescott

The VO2max stuff is interesting to me academically but not really practically when it comes to training.  The fundamental answer to your question, if you want to start training with some VO2max intervals (*not* the same thing as threshold training as others have already pointed out)  in your training diet, is whether you prefer to train by pace or by HR.  If you prefer to train by pace, then by all means vVO2max is the number you want to know because that is about where you will want to set the pace for your VO2max intervals.  OTOH, if you want to train by HR, then HR @ VO2max makes sense.  Frankly, when I run VO2max intervals (as this morning with very disappointing results) I just try to put the dial about on what I think my 2-mile race pace should be.

In my empirical experience, spaniel is quite right that you (or at least I) do not hit HRmax at VO2max.  The last time I was tested (this past winter -- in a university physio lab where she really knew what she was doing) I hit my VO2max and was still at least 5 (probably about 6-7) bpm under my HRmax.  How do I know this?  Because I also have reasonably contemporaneous race data that show my HR being that much higher and staying up there for the final 800m or so of a race.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

pedaling fool

spaniel: I've never trained using heart rate before.  I had assumed that if I was having an "off" day or something, then my heart rate at a given pace would be higher than it normally would.  Maybe that's not the case.

Am I overthinking it?  Maybe.  Who cares?  It's on my mind.

I've never used that mask to check my VO2 max or other things, but sounds interesting.

However, I do use a HR monitor, I've never been in serious training; I use my HR monitor more out of curiosity, but I do have goals I'm trying to attain, so I can speak a little to the issue of HR.

First, I noticed that the max HR for a give person based on age, such as you see on this link are kind of useless http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/Target-Heart-Rates_UCM_434341_Article.jsp

As a 50 y/o male I can do so much more than what's on that table and not even feel it the next day, but I've a fairly well developed cardio system.

However, as you stated above, if I'm not feeling good that day, for whatever reason, my HR for a given activity will vary. And during those times I've learned thru experience to not worry about so-called training zones. And I've found thru experience that when I'm feeling a little under it's best to not worry about HR or pace or anything and just go slow and keep the runs short until I recover.

Another thing about HR is it will go the other way, as your fitness increases you'll notice that you may have been running at a 10-minute pace @ ~150 HR average, but now you're running at an 8-minute pace at the same HR.

Basically those HR tables are useless for me and I've talked to a lot of runners that don't use HR monitors or anything, just tried & true training techniques. I still use HR monitors, but not so much for training, rather I just like knowing what the heart is doing.

Just a dude.

Or 1 hour?

Either way, yeah, that makes more sense.

Yes 1 hour pace. sorry...

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Bet he means "10 mile".

... or he runs a 20 minute mile.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I remember reading that a simple way to estimate vVO2max   was to do a 6 minute time-trail at the best continuous pace you could sustain for that time.  So I suppose your heart rate at the end of that would be a decent estimate.

But the heart rate isn't that important (it can vary a lot due to external factors like weather, how rested you are, etc.), nor is the actual VO2max value. vVO2max is worth knowing as a training benchmark for intervals.  It certainly isn't tempo running pace (20 minutes sustained) as others have indicated.

MTA:

A source http://training4endurance.co.uk/physiology-of-endurance/vvo2max/

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

joescott

I was envious of your ability to subscript and superscript on RunningAhead and I wondered what kind of ninja you must be, but then I opened this reply and opened my eyes and wow presto that was pretty cool!  I wonder how long that's been there....

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I was envious of your ability to subscript and superscript on RunningAhead and I wondered what kind of ninja you must be, but then I opened this reply and opened my eyes and wow presto that was pretty cool!  I wonder how long that's been there....

Not a ninja.  Just well-versed in the art of pedantic douchebaggery.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.