Hip Stability Routines (Read 186 times)

markchap

Hello Running Ahead,

I am a new member to this site. I am looking for insights regarding quality hip stability routines.

Mainly just for curiosity and conversation's sake - do most of you do standard exercises (ie - firehydrants) or a more complex routine?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess "most" runners don't do anything. I had to look up what "hip stability" is. I'm not looking up "firehydrants".

But I could be wrong. Maybe you guys are all doing complex routines.

MTA: i'm not trying to be a jerk with the above btw. I just figured most people barely have time for core stuff, or anything other than running.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      kilkee

runktrun

As he suspected, Kevin is wrong.

I do tons of core/hip/glute strengthening and stability work.  Favorites are:

Squat variations - 1/4 squat (hip hinge), deep body weight squat, goblet squat

Basic deep core/transverse abdominus activations (lie on back, feet on floor, knees bent and tense your deep lower core by pulling your belly button back towards your spine but do NOT flatten your back or rotate your pelvis)

Planks, after mastering correct core activation

Side leg raises and clam shells

Glute bridges

Glute bridges with leg extension

Dead lifts

Single leg dead lifts

Something like a single leg deadlift but where you tap the outside of your plant foot with your opposite hand (so there's a bit of a twisting motion as you bend down)

But...LEARN THE BASICS before you starting hitting the strength work hard.  You NEED to do these exercises correctly or you will just be teaching your body to compensate with poor movement patterns.  I think it is worth finding a PT or strength coach that is familiar with runners to show you the correct way to do such exercises, especially if you are trying to keep nagging injuries at bay.  Some people can do these just fine, but most runners are already quad dominant or have tight hip flexors that will make it easy to do these wrong and keep reinforcing inefficient movement patterns.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, Kevin did say "most" runners, twice, and kilkee is anything but your run-of-the-mill runner.

markchap

I do tons of core/hip/glute strengthening and stability work.  Favorites are:

Squat variations - 1/4 squat (hip hinge), deep body weight squat, goblet squat

Basic deep core/transverse abdominus activations (lie on back, feet on floor, knees bent and tense your deep lower core by pulling your belly button back towards your spine but do NOT flatten your back or rotate your pelvis)

Planks, after mastering correct core activation

Side leg raises and clam shells

Glute bridges

Glute bridges with leg extension

Dead lifts

Single leg dead lifts

Something like a single leg deadlift but where you tap the outside of your plant foot with your opposite hand (so there's a bit of a twisting motion as you bend down)

But...LEARN THE BASICS before you starting hitting the strength work hard.  You NEED to do these exercises correctly or you will just be teaching your body to compensate with poor movement patterns.  I think it is worth finding a PT or strength coach that is familiar with runners to show you the correct way to do such exercises, especially if you are trying to keep nagging injuries at bay.  Some people can do these just fine, but most runners are already quad dominant or have tight hip flexors that will make it easy to do these wrong and keep reinforcing inefficient movement patterns.

Thank you. I have done much of the above in my strength work outside of running.

It was never an issue during my years of competitive running/racing, but over the last year there has been an imbalance in the hips/glutes that traditional routines haven't really been able to hit or fix. I was curious to see what other folks on here do.

Yeah I do some of the stuff kilkee said, but also lunges and some hip extension/mobility stuff like pigeon hip extensions and a few static and active stretches. It's not complex or time consuming-- 15 minutes or so 2-3 x per week after a run usually.

Runners run

Hi.  Average runner here checking in.  I do theraband exercises and some other rotating generic hip stuff 2-3x a week.  The theraband exercises consist of "Monster walks" and stuff like this https://www.healthynomics.com/2012/07/strengthen-hips-fight-it-band-syndrome/

I started doing these after an IT band injury a few years ago made me realize that I wasn't indestructible and that my hips and glutes were weak.  Rather, my physical therapist opened my eyes up to doing more than just running to keep this injury at bay.  Try them out, as mikeymike says, the exercises don't take long to execute and work pretty well to keep things balanced.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

NorthNorthwest

I don't do anything complicated, just a couple compact routines that take ~10 minutes and I do 2-3 days a week each (alternating days). I do a couple routines recommended by Jason Fitzgerald with a few additions and changes to target my own problem areas; I think these were reprinted in Runner's World recently with some minor changes. I don't sport a six-pack, but I think doing these consistently has bought me considerable insurance against injuries and overtraining.  Like so much in training, I think consistency (and good form) is paramount over having the "perfect" routine.

Standard Core Routine

http://strengthrunning.com/2012/01/the-standard-core-routine-video-demonstration/

Hip/Legs

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/

Big fan of Jason Fitzgerald and his SR initiative as well. After a few battles with itbs and trying different routines, his seemed to do the trick! Highly highly recommend this to all runners to incorporate into their routines every so often

I don't do anything complicated, just a couple compact routines that take ~10 minutes and I do 2-3 days a week each (alternating days). I do a couple routines recommended by Jason Fitzgerald with a few additions and changes to target my own problem areas; I think these were reprinted in Runner's World recently with some minor changes. I don't sport a six-pack, but I think doing these consistently has bought me considerable insurance against injuries and overtraining.  Like so much in training, I think consistency (and good form) is paramount over having the "perfect" routine.

Standard Core Routine

http://strengthrunning.com/2012/01/the-standard-core-routine-video-demonstration/

Hip/Legs

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

This is one I work in 3-4 times a week.

Hip Mobility Routine: 8 exercises to do daily for . . .

It isn't designed for runners, but I don't think that takes anything away from it. Best to have a yoga mat or a nice grassy place to do it.

runnermom61

I don't have a set routine, but adding in some hip, glute and single-leg exercises on a consistent basis has definitely helped my running.

Joann Y

I'm getting old and need to do something to keep everything working or it just breaks down. A few months ago, while perusing a well-regarded female New England runner's blog, I saw that she mentioned "Zuzka Light" as something she used for upper body exercises. I have to admit, as stupid as the site looks, the Cardio and Strength Starter Program was just the thing I needed for getting all of those elements of plyometrics, stretching, strengthening, core, etc without being overwhelming. Averaging 15-20 min each, it's not that much and I try to do it at least 3-4 days a week. It does cost some money but for me, it has been well worth it. I don't have to plan or think about what I am going to do for the day, I just find 20 min and turn it on. I feel and look stronger and things just aren't as stiff and don't hurt like they usually do when I up the mileage. For something free, I saw these exercises on IRunFar yesterday that are pretty similar to the Zuzka videos, it just takes more thinking and planning. Build a Trail-Worthy Body Part 1 and Part 2. YMMV.

MTA: I know it sounds like a sales pitch. Whatever. It works.

The trail body links again in case the others didn't work:

http://www.irunfar.com/2017/01/building-a-trail-worthy-body-part-1.html

http://www.irunfar.com/2017/02/building-a-trail-worthy-body-part-2.html

LitchfieldHills

I didn't do anything until I ended up sidelined with bursitis. I ended up with a fantastic PT, and before we worked on stability or strength, there was a LOT of stretching and mobility stuff to do, not just for the hips, but everything connected to them (hamstrings and glutes, back\ribcage, etc).

Joann Y

I didn't do anything until I ended up sidelined with bursitis. I ended up with a fantastic PT, and before we worked on stability or strength, there was a LOT of stretching and mobility stuff to do, not just for the hips, but everything connected to them (hamstrings and glutes, back\ribcage, etc).

Yeah, I think that's the thing. It's never just one thing that needs to be worked on even if the pain or problem is in one spot. It's a system that all works together.

Mountainllama

HI! I saw this link in my blog "Stats"! Glad you like her, too. I was a bit turned off by the site at first, as well, but it's seriously the only thing I've been able to stick with as far as strength training goes. Seriously less than 20 minutes and fast results...if I could just keep the winter diet under control. Zuzka's subscription is only $10/month, and I've found it totally worth it.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Sorry it's been a downer the last month! Haha.

Leslie

I'm getting old and need to do something to keep everything working or it just breaks down. A few months ago, while perusing a well-regarded female New England runner's blog, I saw that she mentioned "Zuzka Light" as something she used for upper body exercises. I have to admit, as stupid as the site looks, the Cardio and Strength Starter Program was just the thing I needed for getting all of those elements of plyometrics, stretching, strengthening, core, etc without being overwhelming. Averaging 15-20 min each, it's not that much and I try to do it at least 3-4 days a week. It does cost some money but for me, it has been well worth it. I don't have to plan or think about what I am going to do for the day, I just find 20 min and turn it on. I feel and look stronger and things just aren't as stiff and don't hurt like they usually do when I up the mileage. For something free, I saw these exercises on IRunFar yesterday that are pretty similar to the Zuzka videos, it just takes more thinking and planning. Build a Trail-Worthy Body Part 1 and Part 2. YMMV.

MTA: I know it sounds like a sales pitch. Whatever. It works.

The trail body links again in case the others didn't work:

http://www.irunfar.com/2017/01/building-a-trail-worthy-body-part-1.html

http://www.irunfar.com/2017/02/building-a-trail-worthy-body-part-2.html